Your thoughts on Ruger.....

aggiejrc

Howdy all!!!

If you see this message in another place, it's because i posted it in another room. Anyways, i've decided to get a Ruger p944 and was wondering about your opinion of ruger. Please give me your honest opinion of them. Would you refer them to a friend? Would you own one yourself? Would you refer a beginner to them? Just give me some idea of what kind of company they are. I appreciate it.

Aggiejrc

Good luck to Texas A&M University

Rugers rock!

I have 2 P95s and a P94 in .40 and I really can't say anything bad at all about these guns. They are great shooters and super dependable. People always say "Rugers are a good value for the money," but even if they cost as much as Glocks or Sigs I would still rate them as best. Lower cost is just a bonus. These guns are top quality in my book. Now, I NEED a P90 and a P97...be warned, Rugers can be addictive.

Ruger P Series

Rugers are very good guns. They are the Honda Civic of guns IMO. Rugers are very reliable and well made at a low price but are not refined as other makes. Rugers do lack some of the refinement and ergonomics of higher priced pistols and the accuracy while good isn't great. I consider Rugers as great guns for first time gun owners. They are NOT great choices for target or competition work though. To sum Ruger pistols up in one sentence: they are very durable (specifically the polymer P95/P97) and reliable, and will last a lifetime (P95/P97).

If you need/want a far more accurate / ergonomics gun, there are better choices however.

IMHO-great, tough,aesthetically pleasing revolvers, excellent rimfire rifle and pistol semi-autos, clunky, bulky centerfire semiauto pistols. I've just never gotten used to the feel of Ruger's thick slides and grips and I find their slide mounted decockers and safeties awkward. (Then again I find all slide mounted safeties and decockers awkward.) They do field strip well though. If you like the feel of a Ruger and get one that is very accurate, go for it.

"Just give me some idea of what kind of company they are."

Theyre the kind of company that lobbied congress in behalf of the 10 round magazine capacity limit. They are the kind of company that won't make a sub-compact pistol because "no honest man" needs one.

I will never own anything with Bill Ruger's vile name on it.

[Edited by BB on 04-09-2001 at 04:37 PM]

They`re good sturdy guns. Usually very reliable and some like the P-90 and P-97 are very accurate too. They`re well worth the money. A lot of other guns are more refined but you usually have to pay more for that. Marcus

I do own one. Actually five. Of these only one is a P-series, namely a P95. It is a tough, accurate COMPACT pistol that will digest anything I care to feed it. I used mine to shoot my CCW exam with, and have carried it concealed with much success. The Ruger P-series is a great pistol for a beginer.

I own several Ruger handguns, and find the semi autos to be as good as any other and better than a lot of them. My view on the kind of company they are is one that gives great customer service, and makes a good serviceable gun at a reasonable price. I had a P89 that I had some problems with and they replaced it with a new one. No charge. I find the P95 shoots better for me than any 9mm I have tried.
Your mileage may vary.

I have three Ruger auto loaders: KP95DC, KP944DC and a MarkII. They are all reliable, especially the KP95 and the KP944. The 9mm and .40cal eat anything I feed them, are as accurate as I need them out to 25 yards (steel plates), are easy to take down, clean and reassemble.

The MarkII is a little finicky with ammo. Has a little problem digesting flat nosed hollow points such as the CCI mini mag, they hang up on the upper chamber coming off the loading ramp. I suppose some polishing would fix this, but for targets, tin cans and spinners, there's plenty of high velocity round nose ammo available.

I'm happy with all three.

RUGERS DO ROCK.

I own all the P-series mods and 4-10/22's and 2-Mini's. Anything I feeds them they shoot. Reliable, affordable, tough, and they Keeped It Simple, as all tools should be.

I respectfully dissent

and ask that you consider the worthy CZ-75 or -85 series. At least hold one in your hand before you decide.

Regards and be safe.

Ledbetter

As I stated in the post comparing the CZ-75B to the Ruger P94, I question the alloy frame now. Where the chamber area of the barrel contacts the top of the slide rails I developed dents. These dents turned into mushrooming of the rail on the right side. Accuracy began to go downhill because the lock of the gun was not that great anymore. I traded this gun for the CZ and couldn't be happier.

Ruger firearms are very good quality at a fair price. I own three;
22/45
10/22 Rifle
GP100 357

I don't own any of the center fire semi-auto pistols. I just don't like the triggers and the overall feel. To bad cause they are priced right.

Used to have a P89, wish I had it back. Not stylish, but very serviceable. Had a slight problem with the return spring, and they replaced, 100%, no questions asked. Still own a highly-modified 10/22 that shoots zits off a gnat's butt, a .22LR bolt for my daughters and a .22 target (stainless steel) with a red-dot that kills chipmunks at 10 yards with 1 slug. (Waste not, want not.)

I've had a P-95DC for a few years now. I really like mine.

I am going to buy my son a Ruger .22 pistol of some configuration in the near future.

Lets put it this way . If things went to hades in a handbag and I was without a gun and I saw a gunshop . If i was able to get in ( yeah right ) and there were several guns in the case . I would grab some Ruger P series and all the ammo I could carry Because I know the Ruger would go bang right out of the box . Thats how much faith I have in Rugers P guns .

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Even the ones who respectfully dessented, i appreciate your input. I did try the CZ-75 and found them to be a good gun and excellent grip. I will probably get one of those next. Anyways, thanks for ya'lls input.\

Aggiejrc

Texas A&M University. KEEP THE FIRE BURNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 2 10/22's, 2 MKIIs (one of the 1st 678 GTMs sold to civies in the south) and a GP100. Haven't found a semi-auto (center-fire)they make that I really like & I have tried several. Since Ruger pulled its political stunts have not paid alot of attention. Will give credit to their customer service people but ... that's it. Then again, I use Callaway golf clubs and won't own the titanium driver that Ruger helped develop !!!

Back