Your Queen: HOW OFTEN?

No such thing as a 'safe queen' in my meager collection. If it doesn't get used a few times a year, it gets sold for something that does. I can't afford to keep a paperweight in my safe.

Since humidity and rust are not really a problem in Arizona I check the few safe queens I have about once a year and relube if necessary.

I virtually never re-lube the handguns that are kept in the Doskocil/Gun Guard plastic w/metal rod hinge, foam lined cases that are 12”x8.5”x2.5”. The foam hasn’t degraded noticeably in well over two or perhaps three decades. I hear of similar experiences of others at the various shows. While the cases consume a good deal of space they offer excellent long-term protection during transit and in the safe. Most likely one of my best accessory purchases I’ve ever made. Not a single handgun Doskocil/Gun Guard case has failed on me in any manner. Only mod I’ve made was to bevel the slide closure area a bit with a file to facilitate easier closing of the case. The slide closure(s) will accept a small lock, a feature that was long available before any requirement.

Handguns kept by other means such as the OEM plastic/cardboard boxes or gun socks do not fair as well. Periodic re-lubing is needed, perhaps once a year.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I have only about a half dozen that are truly safe queens. Before I put them away, I gave them a coat of Renaissance Wax. I take them out from time to time to admire them wipe 'em down and put them back. Once a year or so I may lube them but only if the action feels dry.

I have one gun (Colt Gold Cup) that's become a queen since I haven't shot it for years. I take it out and thoroughly clean it every 4-5 months, and re-apply a fresh coat of CLP.

Your Queen: HOW OFTEN?

As someone who was born in a nation with a female monarch and lives in another nation with the same female monarch (British Commonwealth - we share these things around), your question surprised the hell out of me! The answer: THE PRINCE CONSORT, FOUR TIMES THAT WE ARE SURE OF SINCE 1953. :D :p

In answer to your actual question, once I recovered from my surprise, I've found opportunities to use all my guns about equally. However, the .22 barrel on my Savage Model 42 is the one with the lowest overall round-count and number of sessions at which fired. 55 rounds and twice in 12 months.

I do not have a 'Safe Queen'. I strive to shoot each gun I own at least once a year. I do not always succeed in that. Some get shot a couple of times a month (S&W 340, S&W 627, DE XIX), some are lucky to get taken to the range once in two years (Ruger M77, Winchester M70, Remington 1100). Since I live in the California Central Valley there is really not fear of rust and since I clean my firearms after each use I think they are kept pretty clean and well lubricated. If I had a 'Safe Queen', I'd probably sell it. I see no reason to take up space for something I could occupy with that actually was used.

1853 Snider-Enfield and a 1863 Springfield, both not in firing condition. basically wall-hangers that stay in the safe.

1883 vintage '73 Winchester .44-40 that's been in the family since around 1920. my dad used to take it out once in a while, but i'm a little leery.

they all stay well oiled though. more preservative than lube.

Once a year, I go through the entire safe, clean 'em all and rack 'em back up. I'd do it more often but our basement is especially dry, and I run a dehumidifier down there in the warmer months. I've never found a trace of rust on any of my guns or tools. Rod

Back