Your Queen: HOW OFTEN?

Wow a lot of you guys clean your unused guns a lot more often than I'd have thought!
I'm feeling lazy now haha.
As am I. I do try to keep them in good shape, but even once a year is generally not in the cards for the unshot ones. Just being honest. A wipe down with a CLP multi-surface wipe is a good quick alternative.

It's not really a safe queen because it's not a high dollar item, but I have a Ruger Blackhawk stainless convertible Bisley that I really really like, but rarely shoot. It's been a LONG time since I've shot it, but check on it every now and then to make sure nothing's wrong with it, and there never is, I keep it wiped down and in a soft case. But all mine are shooters, I just don't shoot some as often as I do others.

I do have a Remington 870 express that I have to keep a close eye on, if you look at the finish the wrong way it will rust overnight. I keep it loaded in case of emergency, but wipe it down very good with a light coat of oil and keep it in one of those silly looking gun "socks". Love the 870, but the finish is pitiful, and somewhat high maintenance, I would imagine if I had to carry it outdoors for days at a time it would be a mess afterwards.

I have a PPK, RSG model that I rarely shoot. It's a good lookin gun IMO. But I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a safe queen.

I am with those that don't have any "queens". But through the years I have come to possess a cpl I thought were too pretty to shoot and as such sold them Promptly and bought something I could use. My firearms all get used and I wouldn't have it any other way....

I've got a few guns that rarely get out of the safe. They'll get a field strip and a bit of lube every couple of years (maybe not even that often), but I'm not too worried about them. Between my AC and dry winters it's pretty bone-dry in here and they're old guns that did just fine for a few decades in grandpa's closet with less attention than what I'm giving them.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 " 44 mag that I dont realy shoot. It is a 3 screw that has never been converted. I loked up the serial number once and I think it was made in 71. The gun is in very good shape all the blueing looks good with just a very faint line on the cylinder. Dont shoot it because I am not sure if there is a strong colectors value on it in the shape it is in. But it suee has a nice trigger.

I hardly own a dozen guns total and none are safe queens. Some day I may have one but for now, if my money goes towards one its getting shot. If I did have a safe queen or two, I would have to fondle, wipe down/oil at least every couple months.

I've about a dozen mil-sups that don't get out as often as I'd like. Hell, some haven't been fired in 5-6 years. I generally pull them out of the safe every six months or so and run a patch through the bore.

Strip and a bore snake a few times coat in eezox put away. The urgency of this depends on the weather during shooting. I dont scrub my bores clean because its a waste of time it'll just get dirty again.

Last range trip few of my guns got some corrosive salts on them with out my knowledge. I didn't get to cleaning them til a month had gone by. The Eezox still on the gun kept them pretty damn safe mostly the areas that I touched and rubbed it off were affected or areas like screws and the like. I was very thankful others there had guns that suffered a much worse fate. I still dont trust the soft cases. Paranoid about the salts being on them.

I don't have the fortune to have safe queens as most would think, however I do have guns I use to shoot and carry that haven't seen action in a while since others took their place because they were more efficient.

Colt Walker 1847

Heck, I shoot black powder only 1-2 times a year anymore so she's the "Safe-Queen" so to speak. However, that's about to change as I am buying a Kirst Konverter Cylinder which translate for me into much more use of the old "Hog Leg."

Only have one that would be called a safe queen. I bought it from the factory several years ago when Colt Black Powder Arms was liquidating existing inventory. It is a miss-stamped, one of a kind gun, with a factory letter stating such. I check it several times a year to make sure its storing well - but have no intention of ever firing it.

It's a Paterson Model with totally different stamping than the small lot (less than 250 guns) the company put out. At the time I bought it, I was told there were no records as to why it had a different stamping and that is reflected in the factory letter.

My safe queen (a Python) and those that don't get shot on a regular basis get cleaned and oiled about every 3 - 4 months. Those that I shoot regularly, get cleaned after every shooting session. The only real "queen" that I have is the Python . . . and despite what others think of them, I really don' tike it a whole lot - I'd rather shoot my old Colt Army Special or my Smiths. The only real reason I have the Python is as an investment - I bought it cheap and some day, after I'm gone, I hope my wife sells it for a not so cheap price. :D

Biff, as much as I hate to admit it, it's been at least a year since I've had my 6" M 27 at the range. I did though give it a good cleaning, lube, and wax treatment three or so months ago. I do store it in a Bore-Store silicon bag.

bedbugbilly
The only real "queen" that I have is the Python . . . and despite what others think of them, I really don' tike it a whole lot -...

That there is nothing short of blasphemous :eek: (LOL). That said, you are correct indeed in terms of "investment" as they seem to be consistently gaining value (almost like Google's Stock).

If I may be so bold, what is it about the gun that you don't like so much?

--Happy New Year

I take mine out about every 6 months just to admire it:D The dehumidifier in my safe keeps my guns in pretty good shape(even when untouched for a year at a time for deployments)

Back