Your "Pride and Joy" Rifle

My great, great grandfather's Colt Lightning rifle in .38-40. Made in 1884, the first year of production, and it still shoots straight as an arrow with black powder rounds.

lightning_38_40.jpg

A close, close second is my grandfather's Winchester 1906. It's also a first year gun, but sometime in the 1910s it was converted from .22 short to s/l/lr.

1906_06_1.jpg

gramps_1906.jpg

As Satchell Paige said "How old do you think you'd be if you didn't know how old you was?" You should see all the looks I get when I show my driver's license.

My pride and joy was a Turkish 8mm Mauser, It was stolen about three months ago along with most of my gun collection :mad: . That left me with only a 12gauge coach gun and a budget .30-06 which I bought afterward. Still a sore subject:(

Springfield Garand. I got it as a Service Grade CMP gun, but it never shot right. Accuracy was terrible and it had the dangerous habit of doubling every now and then. I probably should have sent it back, but instead I sent it to Deans Gun Restorations. Dean put a new Douglas .308 barrel on for me, replaced all the springs, tuned the action, refinished all the metal and fitted a new Wenig stock. When I got it back, it was like a brand new M1. I then added the Turner Slings M1907 sling and a Fulton Armory National Match rear sight aperture. It is the prize of my collection now and shoots like a laser beam.

Garand1.jpg

Garand2.jpg

Back