Your pistol reflects your personality - just for fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm...very interesting.

If I were to judge what kind of handgun I shoot by looking at the above descriptions and comparing them with myself, I should be a 1911 kinda guy. (even though I weigh only 230 lbs. :)

Here's a few more:

Ruger Vaquero Has a moustache (applies to male or female); you can't tell (without looking) whether or not he's wearing leather gloves when you shake hands with him; saves his brass but never has time to reload.

Smith & Wesson 422 A nice kid, but kinda strange; would rather be playing paintball with his junior-high school buddies; saves his brass because he's seen other people do it, but doesn't know why.

Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull with Scope Hunts with it but never got anything (yet); can't wait to buy one of those new Ford Excursions; leaves his brass on the ground at the range.

Sorry about all the Ruger references but you gotta write about what you know best. Anyone got some insight on a Kimber owner?

This is a lot of fun! :D

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Go TheBluesMan! What if we speak of my Long Slide? 45 ACP and sighted in at 100 yds.
It's got a Colt IV 70 slide on it but that's all. From hammer to muzzle 9 1/4" long and heavy! I only carry it when wearing my Harris Tweed double breasted suit and a ball cap!
Flip Flops for boots of course! I know where the suit is but there is a question about the Bianchi shoulder holster!
I promise I will never show up with the suit or the holster!
Hank

Dr. Rob,
Bravo, Sir! I nearly fell out of the chair reading your post. Then I brought the wife in and she thought it was good enough to keep. Have you ever considered writing? You are much better than several gun writers that I have known. Thank you for the laughs, after looking through the political forum I needed a couple.
I would like to also add my personal observations concerning police officers and sidearms. It will not be as entertaining as yours, but it does have some experience behind it.

M1911A1: Either he knows something about guns, thinks he knows something about guns or has talked to someone who knows or thinks he knows about guns. You can usually tell the difference by how it is outfitted and the condition and type of ammo he has in the magazine. Of course, that green encrusted stuff marked "1943" could cause a severe case of blood poisoning if it happens to go off and hit somebody. This group has a high incidence of nickel plating, engraving or fancy grips.

WALTHER PPK/S: More money than good sense, possible on the take. Read to many Ian Fleming novels as a kid and probably hums the theme song to "Goldfinger" while he practices his "007 Stance" in the shower.

CHIEF'S SPECIAL .38: Either a smart street cop that uses it as a backup or some office pogue that uses it as his duty sidearm. That is, when it is not in his desk and when he remembers to load the thing with those cheap wadcutters that he scored in recruit school. Groups and scores and way too many pastries will usually clue you in on which is which.

SMITH & WESSON .357 REVOLVER: A pragmatic, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of a guy. Usually a veteran uniformed officer that could care less about promotions or political correctness. Wonders aloud often about idiots in the upper echelons. Favorite line on the range after watching some hapless rookie shoot a target frame in half with a new autoloader, "Why in the world they gave you kids a $700 gun with $200 worth of ammo to practice with instead of the other way around is beyond me!" Be especially wary of this type if that wheel gun shows lots of use but is well cared for. He WILL shoot someone if need be. Dead. And quick. Without fifty some-odd reloads.

GLOCK: Almost as much of a pragmatist as the gent with the .357 S&W, but he dares to be different. Could care less about the looks or if the thing can't be engraved or nickel plated. Believes that Sig-Sauers are the most overblown, overpriced gun on the market and the best thing that the company has going for them is their Public Relations
Department. Very opinionated, usually knows something about guns. Usually shoots it well and rubs everyone else's nose in it.

SIG-Sauer: Buys the gun because gun magazines say that it is the best in the world. Basically fell prey to the oldest hook in our society, commercial advertising. A veteran usually does not shoot it as well as he did his old revolver and will bemoan that fact out of earshot of his revolver carrying partner. If it is a rookie he's been told it is the "latest and greatest" by upper echelon and doesn't know any better. He should have started out with a revolver, too.

SMITH & WESSON .44 MAGNUM: Usually with a four inch barrel because the six and a half was killing him toting it around. Got all his gun information from the "Dirty Harry" series of movies and has an autographed poster of Clint on the office wall. Refuses to carry mid-power loads, says they are for wimps and pansies. Has the Eastwood scowl down pat from dodging that S&W whizzing past his ear in recoil, as well as a scar above the eyebrow from not dodging quite fast enough. Other shooters hate it when they have to qualify beside him, claiming their scores (and nerves) suffer. Predictably, he refers to them in the same vernacular as the mid-power loads. Funniest thing to watch is when he goes into the prone; has to wait for the dust to clear to see the target again after firing his first round during a dry spell.

H&K: Reads a lot of SWAT manuals and military articles. Very much into the "toy" side of police work. Wears spit-shined high tech boots. Doesn't shoot any better than the other guys, but is constantly bragging about the gun nonetheless. Veteran officers kid him about having a Nazi flag in his garage. Doesn't have a garage becasue he is still trying to pay for the pistol.

BROWNING HP:
A free spirit or the Serpico type. Often an older plainclothes these days. He's carried the Browning longer than any of his marriages has lasted and is completely happy about that situation. Does have a garage with a big 'ol Harley parked in it that he actually rides. Will visit with the veterans carrying their revolvers and a couple of the M1911 types but holds everyone else in open disdain.

BERRETA M92:
Younger officer, usually former military. Got hooked on the pistol while still in and bought one the first chance he got. He shoots pretty fair and will actually spend his own time/money practicing. Often makes a pretty good street cop if he don't promote on up. Still single and constantly looking and that is the one thing that does get him into trouble.

COLT SAA .45:
Yes, sports fans, there are still some of those out there. Guy was raised in a small town and never was a working cowboy but he dresses western complete with the silver belly Stetson. In hot water constantly with supervisors for wearing those handmade roachkillers with riding heels
and the custom stitching while in uniform. Watched way too much "Gunsmoke" as a lad and thinks that Elmer Keith was a god. Not a bad fellow, actually; just always looking off in the distance for a train that has already come and gone. Surprise and surprise! He is actually pretty good with that thumb buster and knows quite a bit about old guns. His motto is: "If it ain't been around for a hundred years it ain't trustworthy yet".
Take care and God bless to all,
Paladin

I was getting a little worked up there at first about the USP thing... but then I blew Mt Dew outta my nose while ROTFLMAO...

Glock... hehehehe...
:D

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Okay: So what would a W/M 25 yoa who drives a 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4WD, and wears Lee jeans and button down shirts carry as primary AND back up weapons? Gator

Paladin,

Your praise is most appreciated.

I've never written professionally, just snippets here and there. Maybe someday. I still have a lot to learn.

Maybe we should start a "favorite gun" story thread or something? Let people spin thier best yarn or war story. It might be fun.

Dr.Rob

OK here's a few more:

PJK 9HP (hungarian hi-power copy.) This guy cares more about function than brandnames. His boots are east german army surplus and his camo doesn't match anyone elses, as his is Bulgarian. The tires on his jeep are bare but he keeps it full of gas, has a full set of chains and shovel regarless of the season. Like his equipment, he's an adequate shot.

Makarov: this guy is a closet commie. He probably watches spy movies and cheers for the bad guy. If only he could find the importer for the garrotte watch and mini camera. Makes up stories about the people he works with at lunch.

Tokarev: this is a guy who wishes he had capture papers for the gun. Then again, this is the same guy who bought a 9mm Largo and 12,000 rounds of ammo because "it was a bargain". He may offer you a can of "emergancy drinking water" when you stop by for a cold one.

Luger: He knows the gun is SWISS, but harbors suspicion everyone thinks he's a closet nazi. He's likely an engineer, his life is overdesigned and subject to malfunction with a minimum of grit. DO NOT drink with this guy. Knows Obscure codex of DWM, BYF, etc. codes on all german wartime guns. Very knowledgeable guy. Just don't talk politics or math.

.475 Linebaugh: this guy truly has more money than sense. Thinks NOTHING of buying a $400 pistol and handing it to someone with another $1000 to "make it special" Headstamps should not be trusted with this guy since all he shoots are wildcats. Favorites quote "yeah well it started Out as a .375 jdj ackly improved... until I talked to jack over at the custom shop in skunkworks, idaho..."

XP shooters: these guys make the linebaugh crowd look sane. Can quote the given velocity for a 6mm 80 grain round at the 4000 fps noting variances for temperature, pressure, alitutude and solar flare activity. Holds secret desire to patent the .600/.17 nitro express handgun. Owns a garage full of reloading supplies. Can tell you EXACTLY how many squares of toilet tissue he will require on any given day. He shoots REALLY well.

other archetypes at the range:

Mutt and Jeff: these are those two indistinct "foreign" guys with gold chains and shiny shoes who seem to come to the range just to curse at their guns and bang them on the range bench when they won't work. The range officer always seems to ignore them but will smack you with a ruler if you don't take a second between each shot.

Chad and Buffy: you know CHAD??? He's that tall sandy haired tanned guy over there with the ivy league sweat shirt and the perfect white teeth who has determined that his girl buffy is going to learn to shoot NO MATTER WHAT. The fact that chad had never held a gun or wanted one until he saw lethal weapon 4 makes little difference to chad in his belief that he is ALL KNOWING. Buffy picks up the cocked and locked Beretta with two fingers and trys to humor Chad. A sure source of accidents and red face indignation that "there is something wrong" with this gun.

Thelma and Louise: they don't want your help or the range officer's. They just want to throw round after round through small custom targets. You realize in horror that these are wedding photos, and there is a shoe box full of them, alongside the shoebox full of ammo. Back away slowly and do not make eye contact.

The Mountain man: This guy goes EVERYWHERE in 1830's trapper gear. His "other" vehicle is a harley davidson. Hides secret past as a reneissance festival jester and part time experimental theatre workshop member. Has more fingers and toes than teeth. is a good shot but DEADLY at throwing axes, mattocks, or small woodland creatures. Killed a deer with a knife on a dare.

The Hammerman: this is the guy who loads his muzzle loader so TIGHT he sits at the range bench WHACKING on the ramrod with a ball peen hammer. The range officer geefully ignores this and asks you STERNLY if you checked your powder measure twice. Meanwhile the hammer man.. all 120 soaking wet pounds of him is now STANDING on his shooting bench and trying to break his ramrod with a hammer. Not to fear.. he has TWO spares. Probably owns lederhosen.

NORM: this is the guy that insists he knows everything better than you. He knows that 223 rounds were designed to travel in bone marrow, he knows that the front sight of a lee enfield was once used as a bottle opener. He knows that you didn't tighten you bases and rings down enough. He sincerely belives the things he says. he might have useful information, just don't let him tighten the allen screws on your new rings. Notice that NORM is the only guy at the range without a gun??

Sargent hardcase: hes 50 something and still wearing a white wall crew cut his skin is leather brown and the tattoo on his upper arm might say "anita" or "Iwo Jima" Its too faded to tell. He scowls and talks to his guns, which are usually military calibers. His dark blue t-shirt has been shrunk in the wash one too many times and you aren;'t really sure if he's a veteran or postal worker. Approach with caution.

Happy Bob: Bob doesn't care if he hits or misses he's just happy to smell the sweet scent of gunpowder and cordite. Bob's sense of smell does not apply to himself though as he sweats profusely and blinks unerringly at you moon-faced behind wired rimmed glasses. But has a LOT of guns and will let your kid SHOOT THEM ALL. You can make Bob's aqauintence by buying him a coke.

The HAT SQUAD: three teenagers with backwards ball caps and pants halfway down thier rear playing grab ass and shooting Dads' borrowed pistol, or a cheapo lorcin. Be kind as we were all teens once. Do not offer your sage shooting advice with phrases "like what is WITH those pants?" or "who the HELL is limp bizkit" and "does that ring in your eyebrow hurt?" Stick to the basics and you may hear a "thanks dude" and pass on the tradition to a new generation.

lol ok I'm outta gas... hope those were enjoyable.

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited October 19, 1999).]

DAGUMIT i just got the computer screen & kbord cleaned out time to start over ;)

------------------
oneshotonekill

Swampgator: Beretta 92 FS w/spare hi-cap mag. Both mags loaded with Corbon or Triton 115 grainers. Backup: Glock 26, one mag, loaded w/124 grain NATO hardball.

Dr. Rob....
"If it takes longer to pack up your guns than it takes to shoot them, you have taken too many guns to the range. :)"

I would like to contend that you did not bring too many guns, but rather, did not shoot enough. ;)

And I didn't see any Para-Ord comments, so I'll nail myself
P14-45: Bad shot so needs "high" capacity, but likes the .45

Ckurts: Springfield Champion .45 w/2 wilson 8 round mags as spare loaded with 230 gr Cor-Bons. Back up gun is AMT .380 with 95 gr Cor-Bons or Hydra-Shoks.

What makes you think I'm a Beretta/Glock sort of fellow?

For the users of the .41 Magnum:

Southern Gentleman,soft spoken,confident in his ability with his gun to solve any altercation that cannot be resolved with words, fisticufs, or Bowie knife. Don't cheat this man, slander his family,State, steal his horse or kick his dog.

GREAT GOD ALMIGHTY. I SAW THE LIGHT!

Sorry I could not resist.

Cheers,

ts

Swamp, just generalizing from a little personal experience. Most Gen-X guntoters that I've met like the Glocks if they're civilians, Berettas if they're recent exmil or current LEO, and a small smattering of SIGS.

Sounds like that 1911 you've got is a sweet machine. I covet it.

BMWGS80- Of all the shooters I've ever met, the only one who shoots a .41 mag is a half-crazed British PhD out in west Texas. He's about 6'1", maybe 135 lbs soaking wet, in his early 50's, has bright red hair and wears it long. Never shot a gun until he was 37 years old. Doesn't drive. Lives on Budweiser and Winstons. I've lost track of how many guns he owns now and he's a fine shot with every one of them.

That S&W M58 was his first and still his favorite.

I thought of a few more:

Tactical Ted: avoids shiny guns and dresses in drab colors. No interest in hunting and his twin pistol gripped 12 guage is useless for skeet. His idea of "silverware" is a flat black choate fork with a nomex grip.Subscribes to law enforement equipment catalogs.Secretly wears knee gaurds and elbowpads to bed.

Gandpa Jones: He's the guy with the railroad hat and the cheery disposition who TAKES FOREVER. To get anything done at the range. He drinks a lot of coffee, blows his nose a lot into a red bandanna and shoots a round every 12 minutes or so. The rifle is already sighted in, Gramps just likes the company. Not a bad guy to double up with when the range gets busy. Sometimes accompanied by very small children and sigle shot 22's .. leave gramps alone in this situation he is teaching some VERY important lessons.

Gordo, master of art or unpreparedness: yeah I JUST put this fancy 4x16 shepard scope on my Ruger 77... hey what is loc tite? Has never read an owners manual (hey i was in the navy how hard can it be??) and is voted most likely to shoot his own chronograph. If you value Gordo's life and friendship, please buy him a small tool kit WITH loc tite (because duct tape DOESN'T fiux everything) and encourage him to read every day.

Sideshow Bob: Bob is a long haired freaky looking guy wearing wieghtlifters pants in a garish micro print and probably those wieghtlifter gloves too. Thing is Bob is a skinny guy and his "muscle shirt" shows off his lack of muscle tone and various tattoos.He has that folding stocked mini14 with a laser sight and ventilated handgaurd and a duffle bag full of loaded 30 round magazines.. Bob, trade the rifle for a guitar and please.. unless you are lifting wieghts those pants are just WRONG.

take care 4 now,

Dr.Rob

Ckurts, You don't know how dead-on you are about civilian Gen-Xers (seeing as I just turned 22, I guess I fall in here) and their Glocks. Especially in the area where I live. A lot of the younger LEOs around here have caught Glock fever as well. It's gotten so bad that when I went to buy my HK USP 45 full-size, one of the salesmen automatically assumed that I was looking at Glocks since they are in the display adjacent to the HK line. (Truthfully, he almost pooped his pants when I asked to see a P7.) I guess it's kinda hard to avoid this generalization, reason being that every time I go into that store there are usually 2 or 3 fellow Gen-Xers oggling over the Glocks. A fellow HK fanatic and I have made it our personal mission to put USPs in the hands of our shooting friends.

You all have left out the Kahr owners.

They invariably are open to new technology, but still value tradition (like the construction of thier weapons).

They also tend to be slim and smooth but pack a fullsize punch.

And of course, they are always attractive to the opposite sex. :)

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Dr.Rob, mountain man sounds just like a guy I
used to work with.Strange but great guy(ex-LEO also).
Bert

Dr. Ron--
XP 100 shooter-- ROTHFLMFAO!!! :D :D :D Okay, you're getting good at this...!

Then there are the mystery guns; the ones that sell, but you have no idea who carries them. How 'bout the series of derringers from .22 through .45-70 that you see in the case of every gun shop? Especially the 9mm derringers that are only slightly smaller than a Khar? Do you ever see people practice with these things?

Berretta .25 auto: Single mom or aging spinster; almost never owned by an honest man as primary weapon, unless by necessity. Probably half the rounds fired out of it were A.D.'s; owner has no intention of practicing with it, but every intention of using it if the need should arise.

Colt 1908 Pocket Pistol: often "hobby cop" (reserve LEO for a small department, like a reserve deputy constable). Wishes he had a matching one to carry on the other hip. Is actually a damn good shot, but would be happier if he'd been a veterin of the Spanish American War.

Secamp .32: NO ONE knows this guy is carrying. He's congenial, helpful, and jovial. He's got some other neat toys at the house, but they're all so spectacular, you'd never guess he'd carry something so subtle.

Colt 1911 Super .38: This guy is often a cop, and quite the shooter. Wishes he were Ross Seyfreid (Late '70's) Jeff Cooper (Early '50's) and Bill Jordon (Early '60's), all rolled into one.

Webley Break-top: This guy is crazy... like a fox. He knows that his is one of the fastest reloading revolvers ever made, and if it's in .455, he's well-heeled. Unfortunately, this means he must wear somewhat bulkier apparrel to conceal his pistol... like a set of drapes, or perhaps an outback duster. He's always threatening to bob the hammer, shorten the barrel, and birdshead the stocks. Strangely, this guy practices dryfiring, and so is pretty good.

The weird part about this installment is: I know each of these owners personally, and call them friends! :)

If it takes longer to clean your guns than to shoot them...

Maybe I better lay off corrosive ammo. However, I just can't see paying $13 for 20 rounds of .303 when surplus is $5 for 48. And we all know I need all the practice I can get with shoulder arms.

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back