Your home defense weapon and load

Thank you for asking! I just made a change today...
My new HD is my SW625jm. Loaded with Winchester WB .45 Auto, 230GR. JHP.
And, 3 extra moon clips along side... ;)

Oh, my backup is my Winchester 1300 .12GA Pump with a 22" Brl... :D

I'm so horrible at the moment, I shot up the entire box of Winchester USA 9mm 115gr JHP's(which worked very well in my gun), so until I get another box, 115gr ball is better than nothing... then again, first choice still lies with the 12 gauge

OO Buck Kicks Hard

It seems to be the preferred load. I think it's right for the job too. Just a word of caution to anyone not familiar with it; it kicks hard. If you haven't loaded it before, I suggest you go and try a few rounds. It will soon teach you to pull the shotgun well in when shooting these loads.

glock

My home defense gun (the one that has bullets in the mags near my night stand) is a glock17 with a M3 light. Because it's good enough for indoor, high capacity, and my cheapest firearm. I don't want the cops to take my other guns in the gunsafe such as the ar-15, expensive 1911s, etc.. i'll just give them the glock if they want it for evidence (without the M3).

What would the cops think if I blasted a BG with the ar-15 with the surefire pressure activated vertical grip, EOTech, collapsable stock, and beta C-mag 100 round drum. I might explain to the cop that an AR-15 has potentially less penetration through walls than a 9mm, and the high powerd light and holographic optics plus rifle as the shooting platform allow for better accuracy than the 9mm handgun so less chance of having stray shots hit innocent bystanders, and... ya right the cop will take one look at the ar-15 and go uh-huh....

As long as the 12 gauge is up against your shoulder, the magnum loads arn't bad at all.

The S&B stuff doesn't have nearly as much a kick, but makes a nice pattern.

Taurus 24/7 in .45acp. Two 12 round mags with 200gr. GoldDot HP, One 12 round mag with 230gr fmj. Cheapo LED flashlight.

It's blue and yes it's very blinding at least to me. I got it for 10 bucks. I don't know the brand but it says "Tactical Gear" on the side. At first I thought no way I would rely on this POS but it turned out to be of good quality and is very small and light.

i have an 870 with a surefire forend, sidesaddle and federal OO buck with slugs in the sidesadle, another for my wife. she also has a s&w M19. i have a glock 22 with an m3.
pat

If loaded, the Bersa .45 ACP loaded with 8 rounds of 165-gr. Hydra-Shok, with Weirauch .38 Spl. loaded with 6 rounds of Hornady XTP 125-gr JHP, and a speedloader of the same as backup.

Otherwise, it's just the .38.

I also have one of those cheapo LED flashlights. Mine's a Garrity with attachable red or blue lenses. Paid $13 at Wally World, but I like it since it focuses the light more narrowly rather than floods the room. I, too, don't want to be on the receiving end of it. (I've used it for a bore light when cleaning, and have been blinded on more than a couple of occasions :eek: :rolleyes: )

Looking to add a shotty and AR/AK to the collection, but for now, the first loaded gun I can see and grab is gonna be the one that gets used.

-38SnubFan

Winchester Defender .12g w/ Federal 00 buck
If it gets really bad, I keep my SKS and my Izmash/EAA Saiga in a secondary fall back postion.

probably p99 .40 with 165gr hydrashoks, as i've had it the longest and can shoot the best with it. that would be what gets me to the safe. once i'm at the safe it's the mossberg 835 with 3.5" federal 00 buck.

Tactical ice axe

Well, since I got rid of my Beretta, it's either a S&W 617 .22 revolver loaded with cheap range hollowpoints, or my old ice axe that I keep under our bed (looks roughly like this :D ) :
abcmassif.jpg

Right now all I have that's reasonable to use in my apartment complex is a Taurus PT-22 loaded with HP's. I have a Marlin .30-30 lever and .22 semi-auto that would need to have rounds chambered. Also rely on the stout LE-type club beside my bed that I've had since college. Even with my weak arm, that thing hurts, best thing I've ever found in a gun show.

I dig the ice axe. ;)

jmm

AR-15 with tritium night sights and a Surefire 9P attached. No offense but I prefer that to my 1300 Defender.

Of course, one can't carry this around , so I usually have a handgun immediately available.

lol ice axe. since we're not allowed to have guns "accessible" in our cars, my two main lines of defense are probably:

g5162.jpg

and

2434348.jpg

now try to tell me you don't want to clean up gunshot wound when those are the alternatives..?

i certainly didn't buy them as defensive tools, i just keep a bag of woodsy-tools around, but it's all i'd have if i needed something.

Typical me

Steve here is gonna to think outside the box.

Everyone's "Home Defense" or "Office Defense" differs. Apt in the city, or home out in the country. Is one's office in the city where one is apt to have valuables, or the barn on a ranch.

My number one defensive weapon is a handgun concealed. I base MY choice on my life experiences over many many years. My main concerns were leaving, entering premises and answering the door.

Now once inside the "home" or "business" I usually / do have a stock shotgun loaded most times with slugs.

First I gotta get to and from the premises. I am not / was not allowed to walk around with a 12 ga shotgun - though many times I wish[ed].

So I wear concealed a handgun while in the home, and out in the yard. A 12 ga or lever action 30-30 does me no good if I go to the clotheline, piddle in the yard and am confronted, if I fall asleep in a chair reading and the patio door is busted into ( as happens around here) , if I am cooking, the CCW does not bang the stove , get caught in the fridge or get into the spaghetti sauce...long arm in my small kitchen just won't do.

I do not want to scare the beejeebers out of the pizza delivery person or the workman knocking on the door...with a long arm in hand, or in site when I answer the door.

I know from experience what works for me.

Back