Your home defense weapon and load

Rolling out of bed grab the 9mm CZ P-01 w/ 14 rounds of 147gr Golden Sabers. While passing the closet pick up a Win. '94 Trapper w/ 9 rounds 200gr SilverTip .44 Spls. Not to mention the hands-free phone calling 911.

Mind you the security system alarms are blarring and various lights around the house are automaticaly flashing during this time - hopefully the BG has taken the hint and hightailed it before any unpleasantness occures.

im sure this is not legal but...
a 12ga with less lethal rounds? like those bean bags or baton rounds.
otherwise my 1911 with fed hydrashock.

I keep my ar-15 m4 clone at the ready loaded with XM193 ball ammo.

Used to be the shotgun, but after a lot of thinking, I recently switched over to the AR.

Sig Pro 2009 w/ Cor Bon 90 gr JHP ( I have a small apartment over penetration is a big issue)

Or my CCW which is a SA XD 3’’ with 147 gr Winchester JHP

However, in the event there is a riot in Phoenix, I have the 16’’ Saiga 7.62x39 conversion with 30 rnd mags under the bed.

Ruger SA 45 Colt with either 260 gr SWC @ 1000 fps, or 325 gr SWC @ 1250 fps, depending on what's in at the moment (whether I've been in grizzly country recently) or a smith 29 w/ 250 gr SWC @ 1000 fps.

Also leaning against the wall by the bed and door are a Winchester carbine w/ 170 gr 30-30 loads, and a 45-70 1886 carbine w/ 400 gr Barnes loads @ 1850 fps. either ought to do, depnding on how big the intruder is, and how much fur/teeth it has.

As far as the 00 buck and bears go, buck isn't as reliable as slugs or a heavy rifle.

Last edited:
I keep a Tarus Mod.66 (357) loaded with 158 gr. jhp's, wify-poo has a Rossi Model 92 (lever action rifle) also loaded with the the same ammo, and my son keeps a 12 ga. Mavrick loaded with some "special" shells. They look like flat lead disks...I also keep 4 speed loaders ready...figure 30 rounds with the speed loaders and another 8 rounds from the rifle, plus add in the 5 rounds from the shotgun..that would be enough noise to raise the dead!

I'm not sure exactly how I want to load my 870 for HD. How much of an overpenetration danger is there with something like the Federal reduced-recoil 8 pellet 00? Ammoman has it for a good price ($119/250).

hmmm...

1. RUGER P89 loaded with 158Grains standard pressure CJHP
2. NORINCO COMMANDER loaded with 230Grains FMJ

Or

1. NORINCO COMMANDER loaded with 230Grains FMJ
2. RUGER P89 loaded with 158Grains standard pressure CJHP

can't make up my mind w/c ones to get first.

:D

Ok, I'll bite on this one as well...

I have a Mossberg 12 Gauge Pump/Pistol Grip. loaded with 3in. Mag. 00 Buck.
I also have a Glock 19 next to my bed, and my wife has her Bersa .380.

Last edited:
First gun I would grab is my Glock 17 9mm w/Glock Tactical Light, night sights, and a 33 round mag full of 124gr +P Speer Gold Dots.

And my G19 as back up wiht the same load.

Why not...I'm feeling left out...

2 very large Bullmastiff's. If I'm already in bed I just open the bedroom door and unleash the hounds. After that it's pretty much the same routine as before I went to bed the first time....Let them out to do their business after they're done EATING.

If we're not already asleep the crew will never let the BG's anywhere near the house to begin with.

If that fails there's always the 870 with 00buck or the USP45Tactical with night sights, UTL and flash suppressor.

right now it would be....

my very powerful trusty mossberg 500A 12 gauge. much A$$ is kicked when the trigger is pulled. I can handle the 2.75 shells pretty good even though I am lanky. I dont think that the kick is that bad when you use the smaller shells. :D :D :D :D :D :D

My primary home weapon is a Ruger P-89 loaded with 17 rounds of 124gr+p Black Hills ammo.

Secondary weapon is a Smith and Wesson model 65 loaded with Remington 125gr SJHP.

Back