You ever buy a gun and were like why did I buy this gun!!!!

sometimes it feels really good to be outbid
I know that feeling, as well.

Sometimes, even if you really do want XX rifle in YY configuration, when it gets close to crunch time and your winning bid starts making you sweat...
You learn just how much you actually 'need' said rifle.

I let an original 7.62x54R Winchester 1895 pass me by two weeks ago. I have wanted one for a long time, and this particular example was pretty rough but still had life in it. So, it would fit perfectly into my lever gun 'collection' (I buy garbage, fix it up, and drive it like it the designer intended).
But as the clock ticked down on auction close, my winning bid didn't feel good. I no longer wanted that rifle, for that price.
It was bitter sweet to be outbid in the closing minutes and watch the timer count down to zero. But losing it was better than winning it... :rolleyes:

In my younger years I traded a Winchester model 70 for an AMT Automag .22 Mag. While the AMT was a fun gun, the guy who got the Model 70 came out way ahead. I ended up selling the AMT and bought a Single Six, which I still have and shoot regularly.

I've got 4 guns in my safe that I haven't put a round thru as yet. I buy because I want than I never shoot it. There must be a technical term for this behavior.

I bought a Wilson 1911 for $3,600 and regretted it from the very first round I fired.

I got it and was so excited to take this fine machine to the range. All three of my Kimber's, which all combined cost me abut what the Wilson did, out shoot the Wilson. My Springfield 1911 shoots just as good and even my Taurus 1911 was pretty close. If you ever want to over pay just for a name buy a Wilson.

Traded my nib 94 30-wcf back in the 60s for a Custom Fajen stocked Mauser 98. Action having a bent extractor to accommodate a 22-250 cartridge. I think its barrel was a Herters. Whole rifle had a hellava nice deep blueing job done that garnered my attention into wanting at my age of 23. "Traded my 30-30 even up for that converted battle field junker."
Couldn't hit a closed barn door at 50 paces with that so called woodchuck kill'in rifle. Eventually I sold that same 22-250 out of my trunk one night after a bars closing not to long after my poor bartering. Yes sir. Transaction took place in a taverns parking lot. 100.00 cash and a fresh/ nice shot 6 point just Registered that same evening thrown in to sweeten the deal to me.. Ate the deer. Put the 100.00 ($) back in the bank.

Every one of my long guns purchases was deeply researched so no regrets, each one was specifically purchased for a personal need. However as for handgun, my Glock G35 was a poor purchase. Total uneducated purchase. Bought it back in 2013 when in the midst of the ammo panic. Nothing was available but .40 S&W, and of course my LGS has a mint used G35 and I bought it. Payed all the money for it and it's a very unforgiving shooter. I get trigger slap, and overall the pistol is very snappy. Not really regreting the purchase as at some point I WILL master shooting my G35. When you also have a SA RO 9mm 1911 and a FNX45T which both shoot amazingly smooth it's tough to revert to my G35...

Done that more times than I care to mention. I find I do it more with rifle accessories like scopes, stocks, add-ones etc

Beretta 950 BS in .25 acp.

Pretty little gun, with all the gold trimmings.

Bought it new back in 1987 as a birthday present to myself.

Never had the heart to fire it and get it all dirty.

I bought a $2400.00 Browning Sporting Clays shot gun and hated it when I got home.
I went back to the dealer and I asked him to take it back.. Reluctantly he did so I gave him $200.00 for his troubles and to be sure he didn't think less of me. I made his day! Been buying there for years.

I haven't had this happen to me yet, not because I'm particularly smart or disciplined, just sheer dumb luck.

Until now.

For some silly reason I really want a Kel-Tec KSG 12 ga. shotgun. Which has absolutely no real world purpose that I can see. But something about that thing just keeps calling to me every time I see the thing at the LGS. I know myself and my urges pretty well, and it is with some little embarrassment that I admit that before the year's out, I probably will be the proud(?) owner of a KSG.

I can only hope that after that, it will never happen again.

For me, it was a Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62x39.

Why? I will literally never use this for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't so much of a "why did I buy this thing?" as it is a "why did I trade a (fill in the blank) for this?" In one case it was a trade of a Colt Series 70 Officer's Lightweight, for a Glock Model 36. One of my dumbest trades.

Ahh... if only I had the money to have this problem...

Seriously though, I have been quite pleased with almost all of my firearms purchases. My least favorite is a Kahr CW9. And it works well and serves a purpose, I just don't "enjoy" it. It's a tool to carry and be seized should I ever need it in SD. No regrets, but it's awful hard to get excited about it.

Just did this in the early February.

Went in looking for a bolt action .223 and somehow left with an AR. I don't regret the AR so much as it just wasn't what I was looking for and the bolt action is still in the list. So I spent more on the AR than I would have for what I wanted and I'll still end up buying what I originally was looking for at some point. Oops.

I recently sold/traded my rossi92

like the calibre, like the action but I bought the long-long octagonal barrel:rolleyes:

I kinda never took it hunting it was so heavy and long

S&W 539.
I'm no fan of DA/SA, but it was one of those guns I'd wanted since I was a kid, and I had an excuse.
The gun is absolutely beautiful, one of only 1500 in factory nickel plating, but DA/SA is just as awful as I thought it would be, and the gun hasn't left the safe in a year.
I had sold a gun that I never shot to fund the purchase of another gun that I never shoot.

image31_zpsi7f7nf5x.jpg

Back