You always remember your First.

My first was a S&W Model #3, in 44 Russian.

Back when my grandfather was about 12, his mother couldn't handle him so he left to work the ranches in Colorado and New Mexico. His father, my great grandfather gave him the Smith.

My Grandfather was a rounder of sorts, except when he was a kid, working the ranches he only held on job, that was helping to build the Broadway Bridge in Portland during WWII.

He was a prospector of sorts, made it big at times, then lost it. Died broke.

The revolver went to my father, I have it now and it will go to my oldest when I head for the big shooting range in the sky.

First gun I ever fired too. First bit of target practice wasn't with the gun but its ammo. I was pretty young and decided to set up a range in the basement. Couldn't find where my father hid the gun but I did find the ammo.
So I set them on a chopping block in the basement, aimed them at a target and whacked them with the hammer.

Didn't hit much, didn't get hurt either...........well that is until my father found out what I was doing.

Anyway here's the gun.

guns%20004.jpg

Mine was a H&R 999 Sportsman.Still have it.Had alot of fun with over the years. What I remember most is for $70 more bucs more,a small fortune at that time, I could have bought a Smith K22:(

My first was a Colt Python. Blued, 6". Purchased new 8/17/1983 - took possession of it on 9/3/83 (there was a 15-day wait period in California at the time).

I still have it. It is in excellent condition. I haven't fired it in some 25 years. This Sept 3rd, I'm going to take it out to the range for its 30th anniversary firing :-)

My first was a Ruger SBH with brass grip frame that I bought from a classmate in high school in 1974. His stepfather had given it to him for his birthday, and he was scared of it after shooting it once. I was a nice guy and bought it from him for $75. I still have that gun.

First handgun was a S&W mod 28-2 6'' barrel. {used in 1980} Shot about 20 rounds thru it about six months after the purchase. Never shot it again, sold it 5 years ago.
The girl was a bartender, moving to Nebraska and didn't want to take it with her. I paid $225 for it, sold it for $500.

My first gun is a hi standard double nine revolver I bought from a friend in need of quick cash. I had no intention at the time of acquiring a gun, he needed money I needed collateral. The gun that actually got me into shooting is my beretta 92 fs centurion. In a way, it's also my first gun.View attachment 89424

Last edited:
Smith and Wesson Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" 4" barrel .357 on the Smith N frame. Bought from a Baptist minister FFL dealer in a small town in Kentucky where I was working.

The piece virtually defines "indestructable" and I loved the nature of the purchase which has forever led me to believe that God favors the well armed.

Last edited:
First handgun was a High Standard HD Military 22 my father gave me.

First handgun I bought myself was an S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 357.

Still have both.

I was lucky in that my falmily were all LE and I was introduced to firearms early on. The first handgun I ever shot was the classic and iconic S&W Model 10 (this was back in the 70's when it was standard issue for most major big-city Metro PD's like STL)! I was big for my age growing up so at ten years of age firing the revolver was no big deal (some of my buddies at the time stuck solely to .22's). To this day I will always remember the profound experience and indelible impression that 'majestic' (to a ten year old) mechanical masterpiece and sheer utter work of art had on me as a youngster--it was so simple to shoot and I remember analyzing the Smith looking at every perfection and imperfection about the gun (as a Duty Gun it was notably "broken-in" so to speak). To this day I have that very same gem (now a safe queen) and with my Father now passed I cherish it in so many ways.

That's something the antis seem to not understand in that the shooting sport is so much more than just 'pulling the trigger,' but a true family tradition that generations now have passed down cementing its place in the American Culture.

Enough rambling but as the OP suggests, one never forgets his "first." ;)

A truly forgettable Astra A-75 chambered in 40S&W....jam-o-matic. Sold it and bought a Glock 22. I still have that one.

My first was a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman .357 Magnum...a gift from my dad. Still have it, as well as three other S&W revolvers my dad eventually figured I should own instead of him.

Late to the game, but collection is multiplying!. Sig Sauer P226R circa 2007-2008. Collection rapidly grew after, but still one of my favorites and one I shoot well. She's gotten Hogue grips (non-grooved) and is my only gun with night sights (Truglo TFOs). Definitely one I'm reaching for when the SHTF.

My first handgun was a Norinco 1911. Shortly after, I bought a Ruger 6" KGP100 .357.

Sold the Norinco to buy an HK USP after about a year. Still have the Ruger now, 15+ years later

My father gave me on my 21st birthday..

A 1930's S&W 38/44 "Heavy Duty". He hand made a presentation case, red velvet lining, NRA belt buckle, period correct ammo...

This revolver was (I believe) the predecessor to the .357 & 44 mag.
A beast of a 38!

No I don't have it...It actually hard for me to even post this.
Long story, pawn shop, let it slip away..:(

Back