Y2K Reports

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Okay fellas, it is 15 minutes till the 1st roll over into the new year.
We have no incidents yet.
Here are a couple official web pages that will do some reporting.
First hit: New Zealand and here is that page: http://www.y2k.govt.nz/
Here is another page that covers several other countries: http://www.iy2kcc.org/summary_chart_time.html

These other countries - especially asian ones like Japan and Singapore are a good indicator of what we will get. If the get hit hard - we may be in for a ride. If they are okay - we should have no problem.
My guess is that we will have about 1/2 of the troubles they have. Thats why we are watching. If this is going to be a fecal sandwhich - we want to be prepared to take our bite.
I will put in what information I have here for those of you interested. If anyone else has anything - feel free to report it here as well. In fact - please do. Lets not have 100 threads over this.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited December 31, 1999).]

Thanks for the iy2kcc link, I was trying to find it earlier. Since I'm running a cable modem and the page is timing out, I would guess there is a whole lot of interest.

Rich
aka Hal

Okay - first incident reported:
In New Zealand, Morrinsville. Loss of power water plant. Suspected cause is strong winds.
Impact: Minimal as the town still has water. And evidently Power as well.

Everyplace else is very quite.
Except a little wind...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Maybe Y2K related... Boris Yeltsin resigned.
Impact: Minimal. He was too drunk to be effective anyways. Okay - moving on...
(No Yeltsin Jokes please)

Singapore reports no problems.
This was one of the major indicators for the US... so this is a good sign.
Also the line from Singtel to Japan has no problems showing either. So Japan looks good too.
Our Technical Center is very quiet. Less problems than usual. We have very few calls.
Things are looking good.

------------------

As at 1.00 a.m., New Zealand reports 12/12 vital services all running in the green.

Let's hope it stays that way. It will be midnight in Sydney in 45 minutes.

I sincerely pray this is all a non-event. (BTW, Australia has spent more per head of population than even the USA trying to circumvent any y2k problems.)

B

SCOTT BASE, Antarctica, Jan 1, 12:01 a.m. -- Several hundred researchers, some in Hawaiian shirts and shorts, party under a midnight sun in Antarctica -- the first continent to see daylight in the new millennium. The temperature, -17 degrees F, didn't stop the party.

Bruce: I'll bet you a can of Foster's Oz comes out alright. Here is the Oz official site: http://www.y2kaustralia.gov.au/status-reports.cfm.htm

It is still quiet with no reported issues.

------------------

George, you're obviously on-line at the moment.

Would you believe that link doesn't work?????? ;( You can get into the main site, but not the "Latest News" or "Status" or "Events" pages -- hey! Nor anything else for that matter (404 Error).

Hmmm ... things that make you go "hmmm".

Incidentally, our banks say a number of our EFTPOS "swipe" machines will fall over ... but they don't mind 'cause it means people will use credit instead of funds transfer ....

B
(PS: Make it a can of Emu Draught or Bitter and you've got a bet ;))

[This message has been edited by Bruce from West Oz (edited December 31, 1999).]

Hey Rich/Hal/RAE

Thanks for the thought, but I d#n"t th$ng we'11 n@@d it -- things seme fiiiiin ......

Dave? Dave? My mind's going, Dave ... ................................................................

Jeeze Bruce,
You make me feel like Hilly/Rodman/Clifton ;)
Ping times to sites west of the Pacific rim are running 10 times normal, and 10 times above sites is Europe FWIW. Average 425ms vs high 20ms for Europe.

Hey - link works for me...
Thats rather odd.
3 TONS of fireworks? Sydney isnt going to black out - its going to Burn Up!
Yeah the link Hal gave worked fine too.
If that site goes down - its because it's overloaded.

------------------

Mate:

Those ping times -- is that good or bad?

(I know a bullet at 425ms is faster than one at 20ms -- and there's the gun link, folks -- we've done it!!)

B

Japan's site: http://www.mofa.go.jp/y2k/index.html

Told ya you will come out fine... You owe me a Foster's Ale!
I think those ping times are just fine...

------------------

For this time of day (8:00AM EST) those times are excessive. There could be a huge amount of traffic going in that direction though that would account for it. Most of that trunk is UUNET if I recall correctly. It will take some time for the "system" ( Internet) to compensate. Even uunet.com is running slow. High 50ms. Not unusual if the traffic is heavy.

Side note though, the mail server where I work just went off-line, not sure why. Prob just routine, but I hope someone else gets the call.

Going off-line now, fellas. Mrs T is getting a wee tad agitated about spending NYE alone!!

(Sorry, George -- I know this is not the way the forum is meant to function -- but just this once, OK?? Then I'll be a good boy again.)

B
Happy New Year to you all.

{muttering}you forgot the bet...
Tonga and Fiji reported in that they had no problems
CHUKOTKA, Russia, Jan. 1, 12:30 a.m. -- Russia's atomic power company reports the first Russian nuclear reactor to enter the new millennium is operating fine a half hour into 2000. The reactor is in a province just across from Alaska.
Next roll over is Japan.

Back