Wyoming G&F proposing Firearms Changes - .223 Legal for deer

Follow up to my reply / post on page 2

One of my boys did shoot a deer with the .223 out of a AR.
The doe was just 15 yards away and went only 20 yards after the shot.
Rifle was a Windham SRC with a Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot.
He used my handload, a 60 gr. Nosler Partition chronographed at 2,807 fps from a 16'' barrel.
The bullet made small entry and exit holes, but did significant damage to both lungs.

Cornbush, the G&F is taking the proposed changes to the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission in January. If they approve the changes, they will then become the new regulation. I will keep this thread informed.

If you're anti .223 for ethical reasons then you most definitely should be anti-archery, shotgun and muzzle loader.

That's just not so..... the I think broadheads from a heavy enough draw weight bow are more than lethal enough. Shotguns 20 guage and larger w/slugs as well. Muzzleloaders in appropriate calibers too.

I am not anti- .223* ...... just anti- deer hunting w/ .223. I am not anti-rifle hunting any more than I am anti- any of those things ..... Take a child's bow w/ field points, a .410 or a .36 roundball squirrel rifle, and you have inappropriate equipment ..... I feel the same about deer hunting with .223 as I do about deer hunting with any of the above...... there are better tools for the job.

* I think it's a fine cartridge ..... for varmints, paper punching, budget stretching, wounding enemy soldiers ...... I have an AR, and am loading for it..... maybe I'll pick up some 60 gr Partitions and do a bit of experimentation.

All those weapons have an appropriate range and projectile selection, as does the .223.....and are all subject to bad decisions by the user.

I think that the .223 can be used responsibly.

I've seen whitetails taken with .410 and .222 rem. The key is to get close. It takes a lot of hunting sometimes, to get to that ethical shot.

Back