Wrong person to carjack

Posted by TailGator:
The important thing is not whether the other guy is facing towards you....
Except that if he is facing toward you he has better ability to see when your guard is down and draw and shoot you.

....or whether he is obeying your instructions, or whether he may pose a threat to someone at a later time (as sometimes comes up in these discussions), but whether he poses an immediate threat to you and/or other innocents.
Very true, and that's a good reason to not try to detain him in the first place.

2nd request for info--did the video/post indicate the car jacker had a weapon brought to bare or actually assaulted the driver??

2nd request for info--did the video/post indicate the car jacker had a weapon brought to bare or actually assaulted the driver??

The video doesn't mention anything about a weapon or any attempted assault. It just says that the guy got in the car and said, "You know what this is."

I don't know if I would have responded the same way. I probably would have drawn my gun, since it is reasonable, IMO, to assume that a car jacker is going to be armed, but holding him at gunpoint? Seems to me like stepping above my pay grade. Get him out of the car, lock the doors, get out of the situation and call the cops so they can do their job. I certainly would not have stood there spouting one liners for the camera.

Last edited:
The video doesn't mention anything about a weapon or any attempted assault. It just says that the guy got in the car and said, "You know what this is."

I don't know if I would have responded the same way. I probably would have drawn my gun, since it is reasonable, IMO, to assume that a car jacker is going to be armed, but holding him at gunpoint? Seems to me like stepping above my pay grade. Get him out of the car, lock the doors, get out of the situation and call the cops so they can do their job. I certainly would not have stood there spouting one liners for the camera.

A gun should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
Last edited by BigMikey76; Today at 12:20 PM.
BigMikey76 is online now Report Post
That's what I suspected.

This rises to the level of property trespass--maybe--and that's about it. A few states might recognize this as the equivalent of breaking into and entering a home.

I'm not going to second-guess what the gun-bearer did--but in my view was very very risky given the tenuous nature of proving clear and imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.

Nope--but other than getting into his car--what did the guy do to warrant a reasonable (meaning what a jury of peers would agree with) threat of deadly force? That's where I'm stumped.

How about unlawfully entering a domicile (and yes, the automobile is included in that definition Georgia) for the purpose of committing a forcible felony?

If that's the case in GA--the guy may have got want he deserved--but then it gets a little tricky--he exited the vehicle and held him at gunpoint--and that is no longer his domicile--is it? "you know what this is" could mean a lot of things--maybe he wanted to have sex?

Last edited:
--he exited the vehicle and held him at gunpoint--and that is no longer his domicile--is it?
No. He witnessed a crime as it was committed and detained the suspect until police arrived.

Lawful in Georgia. Not something I would have done, but lawful.

..."you know what this is" could mean a lot of things--maybe he wanted to have sex?
So, attempted rape isn't a crime? Any woman I know would view the act of entering her private space, whatever it is, and saying such a thing, as a prelude to sexual assault, not as some sort of clever pick-up line.

My car unlocks it's doors to when I put it in park.

I hate that.

Often times, I'm not ready to jump straight out the car the second I put it in park. I find myself always snapping back the lock button the instant I go to park.

Well, here I am, tried to edit my post #19, but could not, if you have the patience, pop back and look at my error!

Was out yesterday, parked, put vehicle in park, turned engine off NOTHING!

Nothing unlocked, all buttons stayed down, I had to do the open door bit myself. I remember I programmed it that way.

The bg got off easy , the driver could have zapped him and drove away like nothing happened .

HOLY COW!!! Are you suggesting that following a defensive shooting, that you just "drive away"???

No Im suggesting that is what could have happened . Why would that shock you ? Some one wanting to make others their victim and gets shot , the intended victim just wants to leave and not deal with it and drives away . Do you think that has ever happened before ? I can think of a very well known case that made the news around the World and changed the way a city deals with crime .

And in the end, what better outcome than: it is over and he walks away? You didn't have to shoot, didn't have to prove self-defense, didn't have your pistol taken as evidence, don't have to wonder "what if?" or "was it really necessary?".

"didn't have to prove self-defense" - for the attorney retainer alone I could replace my car several times over.

"didn't have your pistol taken as evidence" - good deal here, it's worth more than the car.

My car unlocks it's doors to when I put it in park.
This is a feature that can often be changed by the user. Read the manual, or do some research online to see how to disable the auto unlock function.

It's a feature I would not want on a car.

treg, I did not suggest that he shouldn't have resisted, my point was that he used good judgement in not shooting the carjacker once the attack was over.

car jacker

I was surprised the the liberal news programs showed it! he may think twice be fore he does it again?? do you feel lucky punk?? heard that be fore??

...and maybe, instead for carjacking the next person and maybe hurting or killing them, the guy will become less stupid and change his ways. Not holding my breath, just thinkin'.

The problem is, the scum bag will be out of jail soon and next time he will either pick a woman with children to car jack, or he will bring a gun. After all, you can't fix stupid!

Back