would you risk your life for someone else's property?

You are housesitting. If somebody breaks in while you are there, you are not defending your friend's property. You are defending yourself.

As noted, you being there will dissuade a lot of potential problems and making a show of being there is a good thing.

Criminals can be smart or they can be dumb but I wouldn't count on one being a coward. Cowards do not engage in risky and dangerous activities.

You can run across a real bad a** from time to time but most are cowards that know they are worthless and want to live off what others have worked for . The biggest % are driven by the need for more drugs and alcahol . I have to confront these kinds on a regular bases . Walk up look them in the eye and ask them something like . What are you thinking ? They avoid eye contact and seem to shrink where they stand . Yes you will run across some tough guys but not many . I confront them because I help run a large business open to the public and have the safty of many employees and customers depending on me and have no real type of security . Best I can hope for is that our people that have the task of identifying bad behavior that let me know about pending trouble have the Cop's on the way .

I wouldn't risk my life for my own property much less someone else's

That is the sentence that sprung to my mind when I read the title of the thread.

Material things are replaceable. Your life is not, nor are the lives of any other innocents, nor indeed is the life of even a bad actor, though some may not value it. Also irreplaceable in their own right are the time and resources you may need to devote to your defense.

As others have commented, the tactics you are considering for you house sitting job are more sound than the ones you say you employ at your own home.

In my own home I would run out with my gun if I saw someone smashing the window of my truck
I wouldn't. I think the only state where you would be on strong legal ground leaving your house with a gun in hand to confront someone robbing our car in the driveway is Texas. That might not even be true anymore.

A house sitters normal responsibilities in USA are those indicated by slimjim in post 20. Unless they have specifically indicated they want you to be armed and defend the property with deadly force, and you agreed, I think they would likely be unhappy if you shot someone in their driveway. Most people would be. That really creates a lot of problems for them legally also. Far more than a luxury car being stolen if they can truly afford such things and it is probably insured. "You stopped the theft of me three year old luxury car now worth $50,000 that was insured, but I have now been named in a wrongful death suit listing damages of two million dollars. My legal bills will likely be $100,000+ even if we win." If you agreed to that you are in a whole other ball game and I hope you are being paid well and everyone has the proper insurance.

As I recall, in my state, WA, one can use an appropriate level of force to defend oneself, another, or one's property. However, I do not believe one can use force to defend another's property.

We can, however, use appropriate for to make a citizen's arrest, but lethal force would be out of the question unless the arrest was for a violent felony and the perp posed an imminent mortal threat to someone. In other words, if you catch a home intruder and hold him at gunpoint awaiting police, if the intruder turns and runs out of the home you cannot shoot him.

In the homesitter situation, even though you don't own the home you are residing there at the time, so Castle Doctrine acknowledges your right to defend yourself. I would not engage in any risky defense efforts in defense of another's property -- high risk, little benefit to you.

I think the question needs to be restated. Would you be willing to risk your life to protect yourself or another person while outside of your home, during a robbery or burglary?

Let's leave property out of this discussion. It's a moot point that the guy who just stole your briefcase at the bus stop can't be legally shot while running away with it. Nor can the unarmed burglar with the 'uh oh' look on his face in your kitchen when you snap on the lights.

If injury or life is at stake, you can use force to respond, even deadly force, regardless of whether the event began with a property crime.

As an aside, here in Washington state, you are immune from wrongful death civil suits if the deceased was committing a crime that led to their however untimely and tragic demise. 'Crime doesn't pay' is still true, for a while, anyway.

Posted by kilimanjaro:
....in Washington state, you are immune from wrongful death civil suits if the deceased was committing a crime that led to their however untimely and tragic demise.
Do not over look the little words "reaonable" and "necessary".

If a court finds, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the actor had had a basis for believing that deadly force had been both reasonable and necessary to prevent certain serious crimes, yes, he or she can avoid further civil proceedings, and for that matter, criminal prosecution.

Would you be willing to risk your life to protect yourself or another person while outside of your home, during a robbery or burglary?
I'm not sure the question really makes sense.

If you're really protecting yourself then your life is already at risk so the action you take to defend yourself isn't what's causing the risk, it's the robbery that's causing the risk.

If I were being robbed and I believed that my life was in danger then I would certainly defend myself regardless of the location. However, that would be in the interest of reducing the risk to my life, not increasing it.
As an aside, here in Washington state, you are immune from wrongful death civil suits if the deceased was committing a crime that led to their however untimely and tragic demise.
These laws sound good on the surface, but if you dig into them more deeply they aren't as comforting.

For example, does the law define what proof is necessary to demonstrate that the deceased was actually committing a crime? Or what constitutes proof that the crime actually led to their death?

TX has civil immunity laws, but a discussion with an attorney about how to know for sure that the conditions that activate the laws had been met revealed that the only way to know for sure would be to be sued, to go to court, and then see how the judge ruled on the circumstances of the case when you asked for the suit to be dismissed. It was an eye-opener for me.

kilimanjaro said:
....As an aside, here in Washington state, you are immune from wrongful death civil suits if the deceased was committing a crime that led to their however untimely and tragic demise. 'Crime doesn't pay' is still true, for a while, anyway.
I don't know why, after all the discussions we've had on this subject, people continue the self delusion that it's that simple.

Applicable Washington State law was discussed in this post:
...here's an interesting overview by a Seattle lawyer of Washington State use of force law. As he writes:
...In Washington State there is a self-defense argument (RCW 9A.16.020), which states when it is lawful to use force. This affirmative defense may be used when the defendant was preventing another from being injured by an assailant often referred to as “defense of others.” There are other exceptions that involve detaining burglars and using force to subdue a mentally ill person from doing harm to themselves or others.

None of these defenses allow a person to become a vigilante crime fighter, but allow citizens to protect themselves and the people around them if necessary. ... An affirmative defense essentially allows the defendant to admit to the crime but also to explain the circumstances behind the event and to justify the use of force in their case.

The affirmative defense does not give a cart blanch approach but rather shifts the burden on the defense to prove that the force used is justified in that particular instance. ...Not all force is justifiable and some uses of force can even be seen as excessive. The threshold is often a “reasonable person” argument that looks at what a reasonable person would do in a situation....

and this post:
...See, for example, State v. Brightman, 122 P.3d 150, 155 Wn.2d 506 (WA, 2005). Brightman appealed his conviction for second degree murder. While the Washington Supreme Court ordered an new trial on other grounds, the Court rejected Brightman's claim that the trial court erred in refusing to give a jury instruction on justifiable homicide.

The evidence suggested that Brightman killed Villa in defense against Villa's attempt to steal money by fraud and his following assault. In rejection Brightman's contention that he was entitled to a 9A.16.050 jury instruction the Washington Supreme Court noted (122 P.3d 150, at 158 -- 159):
...Justifiable homicide, and indeed all self-defense, is unmistakably rooted in the principle of necessity. Deadly force is only necessary where its use is objectively reasonable, considering the facts and circumstances as they were understood by the defendant at the time. See RCW 9A.16.010; Read, 147 Wash.2d at 242, 53 P.3d 26; Walker, 136 Wash.2d at 772, 966 P.2d 883. For example, in State v. Nyland, this court held that adultery did not justify taking a human life:

"The class of crimes in prevention of which a man may, if necessary, exercise his natural right to repel force by force to the taking of the life of the aggressor, are felonies which are committed by violence and surprise; such as murder, robbery, burglary, arson, . . . sodomy, and rape."

47 Wash.2d 240, 242, 287 P.2d 345 (1955) (quoting State v. Moore, 31 Conn. 479 (1863) (first emphasis added)). In all of these felonies, human life could be presumed to be in peril. Id. at 243, 287 P.2d 345. But the Nyland court also noted that "a killing in self-defense is not justified unless the attack on the defendant's person threatens life or great bodily harm." Id. (emphasis added).10 Thus, the Nyland court contemplated an individualized determination of necessity, even where an attack on the defendant's person occurred. See also State v. Griffith, 91 Wash.2d 572, 576-77, 589 P.2d 799 (1979) ("A self-defense instruction, or a justifiable homicide instruction, is appropriate only where the slayer has used such force as is reasonably necessary under the circumstances." (emphasis added).

In State v. Brenner, Division One of the Court of Appeals read Nyland and Griffith to establish that even where a homicide is committed in defense of a felony or attempted felony, "the attack on the defendant's person [must threaten] life or great bodily harm." 53 Wash.App. 367, 377, 768 P.2d 509 (1989), overruled on other grounds by State v. Wentz, 149 Wash.2d 342, 68 P.3d 282 (2003)....
and (at 159, italicized emphasis in original, bold emphasis added):
...The Nyland, Griffith, Brenner, and Castro cases support a conclusion that a justifiable homicide instruction based on either .050(1) or .050(2) depends upon a showing that the use of deadly force was necessary under the circumstances. All of these courts implied that an individualized determination of necessity is required, contradicting the notion that deadly force is per se reasonable whenever a robbery or other violent felony is attempted....

Frank,

kilimanjaro is not referring to an affirmative defense, but to WA's immunity from prosectution (civil and criminal I think) if your DGU is lawful. However, one may face a gut-wrenching criminal trial before a not guilty verdict is rendered. After that I think you are immune from civil action for the shooting, and I think the judge can award a reimbursement of reasonable legal fees incurred in your criminal defense (which is almost certain to be well less than your actual costs).

If the state chooses not to prosecute you, there is no official jury verdict you can fall back on to gain civil immunity, and it's highly unlikely that the prosecutor will issue a written judgment of the righteousness of your action.

The self-defense immunity provision is better than nothing, but it's not a Get Out of Jail Free card.

Sequins said:
I'm housesitting for several weeks and a thought occurred to me... I know I'm here, but does anyone else? A casual acquaintence or walk-about prowler whom expected an empty house might be surprised to see me. An added wrinkle are two luxury cars in the front drive- let's face it you don't hire a housesitter for a house that holds no value. For all I know the safe, to which I do not have combination, holds gold bars of immense value.

My question is to what degree you would defend property in a house sitting situation, and what changes in strategy you may adopt?

It seems to me the reason you are there in the first place is to make the house look like it's not empty. So if anyone is sneaking around thinking it's a empty house, that's on you.

I wouldn't run outside to defend my or anyone else's property either.

Inside the house, I would use whatever force was necessary to defend myself and anyone else who was supposed to be there.

Limnophile said:
...kilimanjaro is not referring to an affirmative defense, but to WA's immunity from prosectution (civil and criminal I think) if your DGU is lawful. However, one may face a gut-wrenching criminal trial before a not guilty verdict is rendered....
And exactly how do you think one's DGU is determined to be justified? Cite the law and cases.

Limnophile said:
.... However, one may face a gut-wrenching criminal trial before a not guilty verdict is rendered. After that I think you are immune from civil action for the shooting,...
Again, cite the law and cases.

Note that an acquittal of a criminal charge at trial is not an affirmative finding of innocence. It is a finding merely that the prosecution did not meet its burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

See our discussion of Civil Liability, Civil Immunity, and the Use of Force.

For those who said they would not leave a place of safety, (inside the house), to defend property outside the house, you would earn extra marks from just about every training facility for civilians.

Frank,

And exactly how do you think one's DGU is determined to be justified?

I believe I acknowledged the problematic aspects of the immunity law.

I think Florida has a similar law. Was Zimmerman reimbursed for his defense expenses? Not that I know of. Has the law kept Trayvon's family from filing a civil suit against him? To my knowledge it has.

I'm well aware that a verdict of not guilty is not equivalent to innocent, which is one of the problematic aspects of the immunity statute.

Limnophile said:
...I believe I acknowledged the problematic aspects of the immunity law....
And so anyone (such as in post 28) who says anything approaching, "No worries, we have an immunity law." is deluding himself. It's not that simple, and it's about time folks started to understand that.

Limnophile said:
....Was Zimmerman reimbursed for his defense expenses?....
No, Florida law does not provide for that.

Limnophile said:
....Has the law kept Trayvon's family from filing a civil suit against him?...
Most likely the law has nothing to do with it. Most likely the primary reason Zimmerman hasn't been sued is because he has no money.

I think the reality of the situation is that, if you saw someone breaking into your truck in the driveway, most guys i know would go outside and yell for them to stop.

If they ran away (likely outcome), the event is over. If they started to close with me and were armed with a screwdriver or some other weapon, then i would defend myself. I would not be shooting to stop a theft, i would be shooting to defend my life in a place i was lawfully at...doing something i was lawfully entitled to do.

Nothing says i have to huddle in the dark house while some dirtbag steals my truck. Im legally able to confront and stop that theft. If the badguy decides to attack me...well, im going to defend myself.

I have no inclination to use significant force to protect property, mine or otherwise. If I am in danger or my family is in danger, thats another story.

Back