Would you buy a pistol based SOLELY on its trigger pull?

While it's a well known fast that Colt hasn't made a good 1911 in decades,
Huh? That was a joke, right?

It's a well known opinion among people who know 1911s that Colt in recent years has been building the best guns they've ever made, and easily as good as anything other that custom and semi-custom pistols.

you left out two important bits of information: (1) What model is it, and (2) What's the asking price?

Gummint model bare bones 1991 as currently available NEW for 739 and the price was 699.95.

(this is a NEW interest and I was going on the stupid asking prices I have seen PRIOR to finding a place that will sell one for 739.....so NO... I would not get "used" to save 40 bucks.)

ONLY the trigger persuaded me to look closer.

It even had the chintzy rubber grips.

I'll find one new or get one from the $739 place...
but IT has to be ORDERED.

I wanna SEE it before committing.

I bought a Beretta with a horrible trigger pull and unpredictable let off. I did this knowing that it could be easily improved with an all metal trigger, different springs, and a little polishing. So, no I wouldn't buy solely on great trigger pull. I might even walk away from a firearm that could not be tuned in some way.

No.

The trigger is just one piece of the larger puzzle.

I've bought guns with lousy triggers because I liked the rest of the package, namely both of my 1911s and a FEG HiPower, figuring I could have the actions smoothed up later.

Lavan said:
Gummint model bare bones 1991 as currently available NEW for 739 and the price was 699.95.

It even had the chintzy rubber grips.
So you are NOT looking at a new (or even nearly new) 1991. The "1991" series Colts have double diamond wood grips. The "chintzy" rubber grips were used on the previous, M1991A1, series pistols, which were produced from 1991 to 2000.

Okaaayyyyy.... back to reality.....

Any opinions on the NEW Government Models?
Plain Jane fixed sight model?

Anyone got experience with em?
:confused:

NO!!!!!
I would never buy a weapon with
a bad trigger. Why? Because I'm
A Novice technology speaking &
don't have the know how to
change a bad trigger out.
That's why I buy new Rugers.
For me their triggers are just
great.
Doc

Wow Lavan, good self control.

That is *very* strange that they won't even let you field strip with their superviison. And it sounds like there's no return policy!? Not even within 3 days or anything?

I think you did a smart thing. Just run with it.

By knowing more than 1 gun store.... I'm guessing you got something on the rare side. Or the odd side.

I would never purchase a handgun based solely on the trigger pull.

However I might sell one on that issue alone.

Regards,

Rob

No.

But I would get rid of a gun with an unfixable or horrible trigger.

The CZ100 I had years ago really sucked. In fact I pulled the trigger back in the 90's and some where the gun still hasn't gone bang yet. ;)

Have in excess of 20 handguns from various manufacturers. Glock, Sig, CZ, Smith Wesson, Ruger, Kahr, etc. Three or four of them have very nice triggers. My last purchase was a Smith 5906 9mm 3rd generation semi auto. I already had the same model which was purchased a couple years ago but this latest gun, oh the trigger! It's like butter on butter.

Absolutely no stacking. Not a hint of grittiness, roughness, or resistance of any kind. Of all the guns I have this one is my favorite. It's now my carry piece.

To be fair, the Kahr has an equally smooth trigger but the Kahr trigger doesn't have the classic feel of the Smith.

Nope. Nearly all triggers can be doctored to make them more acceptable. For me it's gotta be the whole package. Reliability, feel, fit & finish, the list goes on and on. Having said that, if you're a tinkerer or know a good gunsmith, and you HAVE to have a particular gun, you could roll the dice and maybe end up with a real sweet shooter. Just my thought on the subject. :-)

My very first consideration in buying a new gun, after I have done my research, is how does the gun fit in my hand? If it is not comfortable, no amount of gunsmithing (within reason) is going to change that. Once I find that right fit, I check out the available options such as sights, safety, etc. After I make my purchase, I shoot about 1000 rounds with the gun. By that time the trigger and other parts are worn/broken in and I can start to get the real feel of the guns action. That's when my gunsmith gets it. After dealing with me for about 25 years, he knows how I like my trigger and other such things.

Keep in mind that the more a gun gets used, springs lose tension, parts heat up and cool down and wear, and they are not like new. As such, trigger pull could lighten and lighten considerably. I used to have my triggers set at 3 lbs. but after shooting mucho rounds, the triggers lightened up to the point that they weren't safe (for me) any more and I had to have parts replaced/reset to bring the trigger back to a more comfortable 4 lbs.

A competent gunsmith can work a trigger to where you like it on most guns. Don't let a nice feeling trigger lure you into buying a gun that is really not what you want.

Back