Wood Stock going hunting...

tape/balloons for the barrel, either has worked for me in the past.
wipe down your rifle with an oilcloth/towels at the end of each day.

If you're hunting in dark timber you probably won't have a shot more than 50yrds out, so a quick rifle like the cz will probably be ideal. A 150+grain bullet should be fine for cows at least. If you like your rifle and you're good with it, that's half the battle. If you spot an elk, then probably it is about to spot you, and you have about 5 seconds to do something.

Do yo have time before your hunt to bed your action to try to isolate it from any swelling in the wood?

good luck

doofus47
If you're hunting in dark timber you probably won't have a shot more than 50yrds out, so a quick rifle like the cz will probably be ideal. A 150+grain bullet should be fine for cows at least. If you like your rifle and you're good with it, that's half the battle. If you spot an elk, then probably it is about to spot you, and you have about 5 seconds to do something.

Do yo have time before your hunt to bed your action to try to isolate it from any swelling in the wood?

good luck

It is pretty well bedded. I didn't bother bedding the tang but I did epoxy steel pillars into it. The recoil lug and chamber and back a bit toward the mag well are very well bedded, and the barrel is fully/generously free floated. It feels like the right rifle to walk/climb with. I love the way it points—very fast. Yes I have 154gr PSP for it.
-SS-

I've never shot past 200 yards with my AK, but it will do it, I'm sure. Based on my assumed-correct calculations using various online calculators, the 7.62x39 still will have over 1000 ft-lbs at 200 yards. I haven't checked 300 yards. I generally don't like to use hold-over with iron sights, as you can't see the target. I'm guess you have a scope. At 350 yards, I've taken a cow elk with a .30-06, and that's as far as I've shot at an animal worth eating or not.

x39

I'd spar varnish the barrel channel, and keep the stock waxed.

A 7.62x39 bolt on elk. Now that's one you don't hear often. I've got such a rifle, and consider it an ideal whitetail rig. Its zeroed "on" at 100, and never hunts in places that a shot would present past that. With it, and a 135 gr reload, the biggest whitetail of my life, over 180 lbs, got very dead, heart shot at 19 paces. Yeah, I know, an elk is way bigger, like 3-4x bigger, than a whitetail.

I just loaded a bucket ful of 150 gr FNSP's in x39. My math and observations tell me it is the near equal of a .30-30 so loaded. It is in fact the same slug, at like velocity. I read lots of elk have been taken with a .30-30. Pick your shots. Pass less than ideal. Avoid the shoulder. Avoid wounding one. Think like a bowhunter might be good advice. Good luck. You kill an elk w/ your CZ I wanna see pics.

It's coming up next weekend. I did cave in and scope this CZ527. I know I said I would not do it again, but I have put a Leupold 1-4 x 20 scout scope on it. I did try a cheep Weaver Kasper first and the rifle put paid to it in less than 20 rounds. It shot okay and zeroed well then I noticed glass rattling...! The VX2 Leupold is very beautiful and so far is holding up.

Definitely will post pics, though battery life will be given to GPS longevity as a priority.

Here is another dilemma. I bought some real honest-to-gawd Federal 154gr PSP hunting ammo for this hunt/rifle and it costs a dollar a throw. That's okay, but what bugs me is that it shoots about 2.5 inches whereas the Herters 154gr PSP shoots about an inch and costs 23c per throw. I understand this accuracy will make very little difference at between 50–100 yards but should I go with the Federal's 2.5 inch group (Copper jacket) or with the Herter's 1 inch group (bi-metal jacket)?

-SS-

Back