Wood Stock going hunting...

Again thanks for the advice on the stock wood etc.

I'm done with the other discussion. I always err on the side of caution. If I don't think I can do it, I won't try.

jimbob86
What panfisher said...... and stated much nicer than what I had in mind.

I'm all but finished with the lack of respect and decency on this forum. I don't come here to get a lecture. Please don't assume you have a more vested interested in the Elk than I. You're not talking to some dumb ass punk kid.

-SS-

Take whatever legal rifle/cartridge combo you wish simply use it wisely and well and stay within it and your limits, simple as that. That advice would be tough for anyone to take offense at I would think, whether given to a seasoned well traveled, experienced hunter or a "punk ass kid".:eek:

Panfisher
Take whatever legal rifle/cartridge combo you wish simply use it wisely and well and stay within it and your limits, simple as that. That advice would be tough for anyone to take offense at I would think, whether given to a seasoned well traveled, experienced hunter or a "punk ass kid".

Fair enough. I agree.
I just don't like someone telling me how though they were going to be with me. It fills the discussion with testosterone. I have no time for that kind of talk, at least expected better on this forum.

-SS-

I've said it before and I'll say it again, If they can be killed with sharp sticks,
there's no shame in hunting them with a "light" rifle. Three inches at a hundred with irons? Go get 'em!

the loss of accuracy with 150gr ammo is more than likely just a slow twist rate unable to stabilize the heavier bullets however much past 100 yards and 7.62x39 isn't going to do much good anyway so taking that 3 inch group into account you are still well within the kill zone for an elk. I've read posts on here where the shooters have used everything from a 475 nitro express to 5.56x45m. your 7.62x39 is lighter than what I would like to take hunting but that is only because a majority of elk hunting where I live requires VERY long range shots.

if you live in an area where you can get within 125 yards then more power to you, I also can't stand the guys that tell you a certain caliber is unethical, marginal, underpowered or my personal favorite illegal based on their impeccable knowledge of the hunting laws in all 50 states. however I think that the first remark was just an attempt at humor. after all, some of the funny comebacks on here is one of the things that brings me back to TFL day after day, so far I am not seeing anything that even resembles unprofessional-ism or lack of decency/dignity. I will say having been a member of several gun forums; ar15.com, m4carbine.net, defensivecarry.com, milsurps.com, thehighroad.org, the firingline.com, snipershide.com, xdtalk.com, glocktalk.com and 1911addicts.com I will tell you that this is among the most civil gun forums out there with a strong knowledge base among it's members and with the exception of THR is the only forum where you can discuss everything from from muzzle loaders to glock, from how to fix your smith and wesson revolver to what ammo works best in your new-to-you MP44 sturmgeweher. if you expect more from this forum then I'm afraid the world of internet gun forums may not be for you.

now just so I can add something pertinent to your question at hand. I inherited my fathers remington 700 with wood stock as a teenager. he had that thing on several week long excursions in idaho, north dakota, south dakota, montana and wyoming. I've seen pictures of some of these trips and all of them either involved being rained on or being snowed on. since I've owned it I have never had it out for more than day trips but it has been packed through rain and snow, it has been banged off trees, dropped in mud and cow dung, covered in dust and been dropped in creek beds. the stock has never had anything done to it since it left the remington factory. it sure doesn't look pretty anymore but your bigger concern IMHO, is going to be stopping your metal parts from rusting more than keeping your stock from rotting.

go out, do your business, kill your elk, bring it home and just remove the stock from the action and set them near your fireplace/heating vent/space heater for a little bit to make sure that it's dry. that should be more than enough attention for a new CZ that's just spent 3 days proving that the internet doesn't know as much as it claims when it comes to elk hunting.

@tahunua001... Thanks for that. Yes I've seen some old dinged up rifles that have obviously been dragged through hell backwards... some old M1 Garands come to mind. I love the way those rifles look and reek of history. I do wonder if modern woodwork is as stable as when those were made. I guess I'll find out pretty soon.

The slightly more open group with the Winchester 150gs I think is due to the bullets that Winchester use not being .311—Some are, some aren't. I measured anywhere between .309 to .311. The group dispersion is vertical and groups are still only an inch or so wide. I also weighed them and they have some issues. When I measure the 154gr Herter's PSP they are all .311 or almost .312. The CZ is a 1x9 twist so the ~150gr shouldn't be an issue. The worst groups with the Herter's are about 1.5 inches, and again dispersion is primarily vertical. I'm confident that up to 100 yards I can put the round where it needs to be, given the opportunity.

At this point I really want to concentrate on scouting/navigating and planning my trip. I have a feeling it might be crowded as an additional 500 depredation tags just went out for this particular hunt.

-SS-

I do most of my hunting within ten miles of the Pacific Ocean in Washington where we get a lot of rain during hunting season. My wood stocks start out flush with the recoil pads, but after about a week they have swollen to around a sixteenth of an inch around the pad, regardless of the stock finish. My Rem 700 with its "bowling pin" finish and forward pressue point begins to shoot high which is why it now wears a MacMillan stock. That said, given the range limitation of this gentleman's choice of rifle, I doubt it will matter. For those of you hunting in wet climates that may need to take a longer range shot, it can matter.

They make or you can make raincoats for rifles. Oh and remember to put a "balloon" over the barrel.

I just keep the rifle under my poncho and clean it out at the end of the day.

Just being in a damp climate with a lot of moisture in the air can cause a wooden stock to swell. No poncho can protect it from that though it will help. Instead of a baloon which can fall off, put a piece of black electrical tape over the bore. It won't fall off and will blow away before the bullet gets there.

Wood stocks have been used on guns for a lot longer than Tupperware has. Take a small cleaning kit and some oil wipes and make sure to clean it if it gets exposed to weather much. Walnut is used because it is pretty (not Impervious) stable. I'd be more concerned with dinging it up and scratching it due to terrain than I would the weather.

A little exposure will not harm your wood stock. Take a cleaning kit as suggested above a clean it after exposure once you return from the hunt.

I thought I was all but ready. Now I want a poncho!

I spent a very cold rainy day waiting for bambi. Since then I always bring a cheap blaze orange poncho.

Mathteacher is right that high humidity is going to swell your stock up. It has never effected point of aim for any of the rifles I've used, but it certainly is a possibility.

Wood stocks and wet weather..Kind of makes you wonder how the likes of Simon Kenton, Hugh Glass, or Jerimiah Johnson ever made it through one season?

If you ever get to the Mountain Man museum at Cody, Wyoming, take a look at the Jim Bridger rifle. They bought that from me.

What I recall about the rifle is that there isn't nearly as much wood in the forearm as with modern rifles, and a heckuva lot more steel in the barrel. With respect to this discussion, I imagine that moisture's effects were less than one would encounter in today's wood-stocked rifles. And, odds are that the stock was coated with either some sort of wax or with animal fat.

In today's world, with short-term exposure to bad weather, a waxed stock will most likely suffer little change in bedding pressures. Three or four days shouldn't be a problem. Were I concerned, I'd shoot a test group at the end of the hunt, double-checking for any change in point of impact.

One test is better than a gazillion Internet squabbles. :D

Art.......According to my grandfather (long gone) They used bear grease or mink/beaver oil (animal fat) on those rifles. I asked him once about an old flintlock he had on how they were cleaned and oiled.

Your 7.62x39 rifle doesn't have the long distance capabilities of larger cased cartridges. But you'll do OK if you are in a good area, have patience, and watch your distance carefully.

I've been successful taking elk with my .308 and 30-30 rifles.

Plenty of hunters think elk are armor-plated but they're not at all. It's true that elk do not react to a good chest shot same as smaller animals. My advise is to keep shooting into the chest organs until the animal is down.

Good hunting to you.

Jack

Absolutely correct.
An elk is big, but it's not armored. Archers kill them with arrows. Arrows from a 110 pound compound cam-bow will develop less energy than a 22 LR fired from a pistol. However when that small amount of energy is pushing a lubricated razor blade the penetration is enough to get through the entire chest of an elk.

The 7.62X39 with the 154 grain soft point bullets will kill anything you hit correctly with them. I would not say they are as fast at killing game as a 30-06, but your elk will fall and if you can track and follow a blood trail at all, you’ll find it within 100 yards I’ll bet.

I knew a poacher from Kooskie Idaho who used to kill them with a 22 Mag with 40 gr FMJ bullets. He had to hit them just right, but he killed every one he shot in the 7 years I knew him.

If we choose to hunt with anything, be it a bow, a hand gun, a flintlock or a 300 magnum, we need to stay within the limitations that we have. Those limitations fall into 2 groups.
#1 is the safe and reasonable limitations of our weapon.
#2 is the realistic and honest limitations of ourselves.
Taken together, those limitations provide a foundation for all ethical hunters to work within. I would call it unethical for you to attempt a 300 yard shot with your 7.62X39, but no more so than MOST hunters trying a 450 to 500 yard shot with their 300 magnum.

300 yards is a bit unreasonable for a 7.62X39, but if they are honest with themselves, a 500 yard shot for MOST hunters is too far for them to shoot with any rifle. Sure, the 300 can kill well at 3X that distance, but buying a long range rifle no more makes you a “sniper’ than buying a piano will make you into a musician. If you don’t have the skill to make a shot like that EVERY time, it’s outside your range.

If we take five 16 inch disks and place them on a hill, and tell 10 hunters to hit them all 2 time each on demand from where we say to shoot, and we place them around 450 to 550 yards away from the disks, you'll see what I am saying is true. About 20% of them can do it on demand. 80% cannot.

If you doubt me, get 10 of your hunting buddies together and try it. No practice shots, no warm up, no re-zeroing and no bench rests. Never do this at a shooting range where the shooters will know the distance. Always do it in the field so no shooter knows the range and must estimate it without aid. Just get into position and shoot, and all misses are noted. We are testing the shooters here, not the equipment.
Try it and see if I am right.

I do know some men and 4 woman that can do it every time. But I bet I know over 300-400 hunters that can’t.
How do I know this?
Because it’s a test I have used to prove my point to shooting students at the outset of my classes for over 30 years now.
Doubt me?
Go set it up and try it. Get your buddies out there and try it too, so everyone can see and every one is a witness to everyone else’s shots.
My point is simple.
Don't listen to the nay-sayers that condemn your rifle. If you are ethical, you will do fine. If you are a man that can and will turn down shots that are outside your effective range (of both yourself and your rifle) you are a true sportsman and a good hunter.

If not, it doesn't matter what you have, you are unethical and a "slob hunter".

That goes equally for archers, handgunners, spear hunters, muzzleloaders and high powered rifle shooters.

Your tool is far far less important than your mind, your abilities and your ethics.

Last edited:
@Wyosmith
I do not doubt anything you said in this reply. Thank you for your encouragement. I feel good about the 7.62 x39. In a bolt gun it just seems "right."

I scouted this hunt—it is very tough terrain and I didn't see a shot over 100 yards in the 5 or 6 miles that I covered. If it's not strewn with wood then it's all up and down like a giant washboard. I do know now that there's no way I can backpack in to hunt and have to hunt light with a smaller pack, from an outer camp.

On an original note I took the rifle apart and gave the barrel channel an extra coat of True-oil. Looks like the weather is changing and could be wet. I am going to wax the stock down before I go.

-SS-

Back