Wolf vs. coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I wish we could get some solid answers on the original wolves in Idaho, which ones have been introduced, etc.

Just had an old timer up near St. Maries tell me that all of the wolves in his neck of the woods have naturally relocated over from Minn./Wisconsin, and are that brand of timberwolf.

Never heard that before.

I almost wonder if our IF&G biologists know all the answers. I'll get to the bottom of it, but, gez, it may take a long time to get an authoritative answer.

I don't know.

All I can contribute is that the wolves in Wisconsin are killing cattle and deer and who knows what else. Now as far as the cougar we had on our land the whole week of gun deer season, I can't say..... :rolleyes:

Dear DNS, not that I have ever disagreed with any of your posts, but I believe you are in error about the native Idaho wolf vs the Canadian wolf. Here is an article on the native vs the invasive Mackenzie Valley wolf:

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2011/...n-gray-wolves/

My friends that grew up here in Idaho and have lived here for over 70 years also disagree that the Canadian gray wolf is native to this area. They don't read many fancy books, they do read, but they lived and watched the native wolf that did not bother their livestock.

Okay, so you are playing the curmudgeon card? The, "We're old and don't read no fancy books because we done lived it" card? I am sorry if my citation of relevant scientific information is troubling for you, but what we are discussing does come down to biology. What I stated does not cast any doubts on the long term observations of old timers. I am not even sure why you are trying to set up this dichotomy of conflict, but your deed is misplaced. You seem to want to challenge me on statements I didn't make and that just does not make any sense.

Where am I in error? Are you suggesting that the Canadian Wolf isn't actually a Gray Wolf or are you suggesting that the wolf native to Idaho isn't a Gray Wolf? They are both Gray Wolves, the same species.

Maybe you are suggesting that I stated that the Canadian Gray Wolf was indiginous? I did not state this.

You cannot make the same claims about these monster Canadian wolves that are wiping out the elk herds here in northern Idaho.

I did not make any such claims.

So specifically what did I state that was in error? The only claims that I made were that the Red Wolf was never in Idaho as the indigenous wolf species and that the indigenous species was the Gray Wolf and the predominant subspecies of Idaho Gray Wolf was different from the introduced Canadian subspecies.

Nothing in the blog you posted is contrary to statements I made. It does discuss differences between the wolves, but these are difference of subspecies members of the same species.

This truly is an invasive and dangerous species that is also spreading parasitic disease that is a known danger to people. All of this information was available to our govn't before they ever placed one of these interlopers in the lower 48.

I never commented one way or the other that the Canadian Gray Wolf was invasive or dangerous or what information the government did or did not have, but I think I have found your problem. You don't seem to have a working understanding between the differences of what constitutes a species versus what consitutes a subspecies and so are using the terminology incorrectly which is causing confusion for you. The Gray Wolf and Red Wolf are different species, but the native Idaho Gray Wolf and the Canadian Gray Wolf are the same species, but different subspecies (see my post above). So your statement that the introduced wolves are a truly invasive species isn't exactly correct because what was introduced wasn't a different species, but a different subspecies.

Truly invasive? That isn't exactly right. They were fairly well isolated (hence the subspecies designation) before we forced their invasion by transporting them to a new region. Now they are simply expanding to fill the void and right or wrong, this is what was hoped for via the relocation program. They are invasive, but only because we made it possible for them to do so. This is yet another example of humans trying to manage nature and failing to comprehend the consequences of the course nature will take.

Without geting into all the fancy distinctions, a species is a naturally interbreeding population. A subspecies is an isolated (usually by geography) sub group within a given population.

Last edited:
Yep, both videos are fake.

That one with the Russian cop reminded me of the commercial we have here... and I forget the topic of the commercial but it shows two guys with meat strapped on their bodies taking off running and wolves being turned loose on them. Only one guy makes it back to the starting line. :D

Dear DNS, did you know that all dogs are the same species? Theoretically, you could breed a chiwawa with a great dane and have viable offspring. Yes, the wolf is a wolf is a wolf, but are all wolves the same? NO.

The critter that the Feds placed as an invasive wolf into Idaho and the west is the Mackenzie Valley wolf, the great dane of wolves. It is the largest, most aggressive wolf known in the Americas. It harbors Echinococcus found in 62% of all reintroduced wolves tested in one recent report. Look up Finland and their battle against the wolf why they consider this parasite one of the greatest public health hazards to their population.

There is little doubt that Idaho had a native wolf that was on the rebound after they stopped the poisoning program. It behaved differently than the huge Mackenzie Valley wolf, was not as small and didn't harm livestock and was afraid of people. Not so with the new monster wolf in Idaho today giving to us by special present from the Feds. In addition, I never claimed it was a red wolf.

So, are all housecats the same? Are all dogs the same? No. Within a single species, you can find great variety. Did you know that you can breed a wolf or coyote with a dog and have viable offspring? Did you know that people come in great variety? All the same species my friend, but who will state that there are not consistent medically important differences among the different races? That is a subject of many of the medical studies on how the different races handle different medicines.

No the Canadian, Mackenzie Valley wolf is NOT the same as the native Idaho wolf. It is an interloper running ruin of the Idaho eco-system. If you believe that they are the same wolf, then I suppose a chiwawa is really a great dane in disguise.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to face a wolf in the wild either no matter how big it is. But the truth is, most of the wolves harvested have weighed less than 100# (here in Idaho).

No they're monster huge giant wolves. The great Dane, Mastiff, Pit Bull of wolves.
"It's got sharp nasty pointy teeth"

Dear DNS, did you know that all dogs are the same species? Theoretically, you could breed a chiwawa with a great dane and have viable offspring. Yes, the wolf is a wolf is a wolf, but are all wolves the same? NO.

You start out by saying I am in error in my post and then go through and argue with me over points I never made. When I ask you where I was in error, you continue to argue with me over points I have not made without answering my query for you to point out where I was wrong.

I realize that you are just trying to save face over your original obvious gaff, but in continuing to do so, you are just embarrassing yourself.

I know you find this really hard to believe and it causes you discomfort, but you are in agreement with me that the native species of Idaho wolf and the government introduced version are the same species but different subspecies. You can't change this by stating I am in error or by posing provocative questions and throwing out subspecies trait differences. You cited Tim Kemery's stuff and he is also in agreement that they are the same species, but different subspecies.

I know you are trying really hard to make a point about the validity of my statements, but you haven't actually offered any sort of valid counter information, just a lot of posturing.

Last edited:
DNS, you guys are now effectively playing semantic games.

My Jack Russell is a different subspecies from, but same species as, my friend's 110lb Doberman.

Subspecies differences can be significant in size, temperament, and potential threat level.

I wouldn't want to face a wolf in the wild either no matter how big it is. But the truth is, most of the wolves harvested have weighed less than 100# (here in Idaho).

No they're monster huge giant wolves. The great Dane, Mastiff, Pit Bull of wolves.
"It's got sharp nasty pointy teeth"

From a 2010 hunt, the average female weighed 86 lbs. and the average male weighed 101 lbs, so sure enough, less than 100 lbs. on average.
http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2010/02/18/update-on-the-weight-of-wolves-shot-in-idaho-hunt/
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/feb/17/actual-wolf-weights-often-skimpier-than-hunters/

From 2011, just a few days ago, this article notes the preponderance of giant looking wolves that turn out on average to weigh just 105 lbs.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/st...cle_84eacbc4-1f76-11e1-9c50-0019bb2963f4.html

People are apparently way overestimating wolf weights based on a visual assessment of size that is greatly influenced by a heavy coat of 2-4" hair.

Last edited:
An average male weight of 101lbs puts them into the same size category as very large German Shepherds; Akitas; Rhodesian Ridgebacks; etc.

So, not epically large, but... At any given weight, they will probably have more overall muscle, and more biting force - because they need it on a daily basis.

And they work in teams.

With as many forum members as we have who are deathly afraid of an unknown, approaching, 50lb class mutt... it isn't unreasonable to expect may of them to fear 100+lb creatures that bite harder and apply very effective group tactics if they attack.

Again, DNS, you seem to want to word-game this to death. You can win all you want on definitions, but by doing so you aren't really addressing issues.

MLeake, what issues am I not addressing that you think I need to be addressing? I simply made a clarification statement of fact that was countered with a bunch of random insights that weren't actually contrary to anything I had stated.

DNS, by arguing subspecies vs species ad nauseam, you don't address the argument that the hunting behaviors of the Canadian Grey are significantly different from the behaviors that had been exhibited by the Idaho, and to the detriment of the Idaho ecosystem.

By arguing about whether 101lb male average does or does not constitute a "monster" size, you don't address the argument that these are large, apex predators, easily capable of (and apparently eager for) wiping out the local elk; and, for that matter, easily capable of taking down even an adult human (though they don't seem to show much propensity for that, as yet).

Without addressing those arguments, which are what the folks who live near them actually seem to care about, it doesn't matter whether you win on semantics and definitions. This isn't a formal Lincoln-Douglas debate, and the tricks they taught in high school and college debate don't really work in this venue.

Today, 01:46 PM #50
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
You start out by saying I am in error in my post and then go through and argue with me over points I never made. When I ask you where I was in error, you continue to argue with me over points I have not made without answering my query for you to point out where I was wrong.

I realize that you are just trying to save face over your original obvious gaff, but in continuing to do so, you are just embarrassing yourself.

I know you find this really hard to believe and it causes you discomfort, but you are in agreement with me that the native species of Idaho wolf and the government introduced version are the same species but different subspecies. You can't change this by stating I am in error or by posing provocative questions and throwing out subspecies trait differences. You cited Tim Kemery's stuff and he is also in agreement that they are the same species, but different subspecies.

I know you are trying really hard to make a point about the validity of my statements, but you haven't actually offered any sort of valid counter information, just a lot of posturing.
Last edited by Double Naught Spy; Today at 02:23 PM.

Oh my, I could really care less if you or anyone else in this world "embassess" me. Get real man, I have made plenty of mistakes in this life and it is to God alone that I must answer. But in any case, you lost me on that comment since you have done nothing in reply to embassess me nor did I mistate anything in my original post.

I guess I will just go with the flow. Yes, you are so right, a gray wolf is a gray wolf is a gray wolf. There is nothing different at all about the native Idaho wolf and the Mackenzie Valley wolf. You are right your honor. Geeze, I am feeling so embarrassed right now after all. Shucks, I better go hide my face. How could I be so wrong about the reintroduced wolf eating up all of the game animals in Idaho right now and killing the livestock. Shucks, it must just be the same little innocent critter we used to have here in the past. I better just go along with the Feds since they are so much smarter than I am.

DNS, by arguing subspecies vs species ad nauseam, you don't address the argument that the hunting behaviors of the Canadian Grey are significantly different from the behaviors that had been exhibited by the Idaho, and to the detriment of the Idaho ecosystem.

It was never my attempt to argue anything about their hunting behaviors one way or the other. I was simply pointing out that the Red Wolf was never there and that the variety brought in from Canada was in fact the same species as the indigenous species, but were different subspecies, but A444 wanted to argue with me for some reason that I don't fully understand since his arguments weren't actually contrary to what I had stated.

Is it a semantic issue? Sure. The basis of biological phylogeny depends on semantics. At the same time, A444 is correctly noting vastly different behaviors in the two subspecies. This is also very semantic and a case where semantics are critical to the arguments of why locals don't like the wolves that have been brought in from Canada. They are different and part of this difference is specifically noted in their subspecies designation differences. The wolves that were brought in were fairly localized and isolated population with their own unique attributes until they were brought south.

So this notion of subspecies not addressing the issue of their behavioral differences isn't exactly right. If A444 wasn't so caught up in wanting to tell me that my information was wrong, then he would have understood that what I was saying was particularly germaine to his rantings. It is because they are different subspecies with seriously divergent lifeways that there is an issue. Their behavior differences were documented before anyone thought about transplanting them. I am not really sure why anyone thought that the transplant would be a good idea given these differences. This really wasn't ever an issue that I had intended to discuss. I was just trying to clarify exactly who the players were in this case as there seemed to be some confusion about who they were. It wasn't that the government was trying to replace indigenous Red Wolves with Gray Wolves from Canada given that Red Wolves were never in Idaho. So it was NOT that they were replacing one species with another. The species wasn't being changed. It was that they were bringing in a different subspeies of Gray Wolf.

So yeah, semantics really do matter when you are dealing with things like species and subspecies. It was apparently those who brought in the wolves for which semantics didn't seem to matter too much. As A444 said in his sarcastic faux capitulation, a gray wolf is a gray wolf. Somebody in the program apparently thought that, but it was not something I ever stated.

By arguing about whether 101lb male average does or does not constitute a "monster" size, you don't address the argument that these are large, apex predators, easily capable of (and apparently eager for) wiping out the local elk; and, for that matter, easily capable of taking down even an adult human (though they don't seem to show much propensity for that, as yet).

Okay, now you are doing it as well. I didn't aruge anything about what does or does not constitute being a monster. I was just providing relevant data and sources that built on what IdahoHombre had stated since he didn't provide any sources for his weight statement and I was curious if it was accurate. It was fairly accurate and there were two years worth of data. What is with you guys?

Last edited:
Dear DNS, is the transplanted Mackenzie Valley wolf close enough genetically to not disrupt the Idaho ecosystem as compared to the native Idaho wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back