Wolf vs. coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an Idaho resident with a wolf tag. I have seen a few this year but sense I bought my tag I have not seen a single wolf with in range. I saw one about 300 yards a few weeks ago but that is well out of range for my 357 magnum (what I had at the time). Even with my 45/70s that would be a very long shot and out of my ability.

MOshooter6502...... Holy CRAP:eek: Is that guy a midget? Or is that wolf just a freakin monster. WOW i didnt know they get that big. Im from Oklahoma and if i go out at night, i hear a ton of coyotes, i havent seen one yet. Thank God i do not have wolves in my area. I dont know what i would do if i ran into one in the woods, besides wet myself.....lol

LOL I hear ya Indi...I have no idea how big that guy is???
But that is one Huge Wolf :eek: I sure hope those Wolves don't make their way to Missouri,if so I will be lookin' for a larger bore rifle :eek: LOL

If you want a first hand idea of the size and strength potential of a wolf, go visit a farm with working Great Pyrenees livestock guard dogs...

They are one of the closest relatives to a wolf. Double dew claws and all...
My father's pet gyp weighs 100#+ and is in no way overweight. The males are significantly heavier going upwards of 130#...
Stretched out for "hugs", her front legs drape over my dad's shoulders and he is 6' even.

A wolf would be a handful for any man even if he has his awares and fortitude to square off with it.

A coyote... I would take him on face to face in a heart beat with out a man made weapon.

Brent

Wolves are not easy to hunt. They're pretty elusive, and difficult to call in. Much easier to go out and trick a few coyotes into range. Fish & Game is disgusted enough with the poor wolf harvest numbers, that they're going to start helicopter gunning them down (once we get some snow)!

My shephard, which was Czech and West German bloodlines, weighed 134#'s. Which is considered large for a shephard by US butchered standards but a bit small in Czech or West Germany. He was long with a big head and long snout.
I know his strength,stamina and have seen him in action several times. Hard to handle.
Couldn't imagine fending off a wolf bare-handed, let alone a pack of wolves.

I wouldn't want to face a wolf in the wild either no matter how big it is. But the truth is, most of the wolves harvested have weighed less than 100# (here in Idaho).

deepforks, thanks for the info on the license and tag fees, I sure would like to head out there to hunt some of those big brutes.

Thanks to everyone that posted pictures, I really enjoyed looking at them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Fish & Game is disgusted enough with the poor wolf harvest numbers, that they're going to start helicopter gunning them down (once we get some snow)!
amen to that...these are the only species that I would condone exterminating.:mad:

We had a cougar on our leased hunting land this November all week. One guy had a close encounter walking to his stand in the dark.

I didn't think anyone saw any wolves this year but one of the guys said one was howling very close to his blind.

ugh here we go again...these things were not reintroduced...they were introduced.

the indigenous wolves of idaho were red wolves...little larger than that coyote but a damn bit smaller than that wolf and they weren't pack hunters and had a higher mortality rate because they were not acclimatized to a harsher environment.

Um, no. There are no historic records of Red Wolf (Canis niger) in Idaho. This is per Hall and Kelson's Mammals of North America which is a compendium of traits, documented ranges, and marginal records as well.

If you don't have Hall and Kelson, see here... http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/3747/0
This site has some revised information on the Red Wolf's historic ranges that are now shown to go up from Gulf states region up through Pennsylvania and up into extreme eastern Canada via the fossil record.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf#Fossil_and_historic_record

You are right in that there is overlap in size between the Red Wolf and the Coyote, but there is absolutely no historic or fossil evidence for the Red Wolf in Idaho.

The wolf indigenous to Idaho was indeed the Gray Wolf (Canis lupus). The re-indroduced variety is a subspecies (Canis lupus occidentalis) that was not in Idaho, but at the species level, it is a Gray wolf. Idaho's predominant subspecies was Canis lupus irremotus, recently combined as Canis lupus nublilus.

Last edited:
shoot em all

See them shoot them,,,These wolves have ruined Elk hunting in Idaho,,,Washington and Oregon hunters take note. Be pro-active on this issue,,,if you see one shoot it,,tell nobody...These evil dogs will ruin your hunting too...It won't happen overnight,,it will happen though...The warm and fuzzy crowd be damned,,,these animals are 100% evil,,a land shark.

Why would anybody want more of the big scarey looking one roaming about? The people who put them there should have to go camp with them.

Be pro-active on this issue,,,if you see one shoot it,,tell nobody.

What you are advocating is poaching, an illegal activity that can result in some hefty fines, possible permanent loss of hunting priviledges, and possible jail time.

With that said, however, there are parts of the state that have no bag limit for wolves, but require all areas require wolf tags. In the no limit parts of the state, the wolf season is 7-10 months long.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

Why would anybody want more of the big scarey looking one roaming about? The people who put them there should have to go camp with them.

I agree. Unarmed, overnight in a tent with their wife and kids....

Dear DNS, not that I have ever disagreed with any of your posts, but I believe you are in error about the native Idaho wolf vs the Canadian wolf. Here is an article on the native vs the invasive Mackenzie Valley wolf:

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2011...ain-wolves-v-introduced-canadian-gray-wolves/

My friends that grew up here in Idaho and have lived here for over 70 years also disagree that the Canadian gray wolf is native to this area. They don't read many fancy books, they do read, but they lived and watched the native wolf that did not bother their livestock. You cannot make the same claims about these monster Canadian wolves that are wiping out the elk herds here in northern Idaho.

This truly is an invasive and dangerous species that is also spreading parasitic disease that is a known danger to people. All of this information was available to our govn't before they ever placed one of these interlopers in the lower 48.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back