With what should I replace 7mm Rem Mag ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
400 yds plus and some other thoughts

If a guide took a shot from behind me for any other reason than to save my hide, he would get a big piece of my mind and no more of my money.

Anybody encouraging me to shoot farther than I thought prudent would be held in similar contempt.

Limiting your shots to under 400, seems reasonable and prudent, irregardless of caliber.

Your 7mm mag offers s;lightly flatter trajectory than an '06 and similarly seems a good choice. If you have lost confidence in that particular rifle due to accuracy issues (you never did say what it was grouping) , starting over w/ another 7 mag is not bad move.

A .300 will recoil more and a .338 plenty more. I would not put a brake on any field rifle, for the reasons you already stated, too LOUD.

Wish I could hunt half the places you have.

Here's the 2009 B.C. Moose I got with the double lung shot using my 7mm R.M. at less than 75 yards with Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Partitions. As stated on my earlier post he kept walking without any sign of being hit. No sound, no flinch, no nothing.

You can see the impact spot on his ribs behind the front leg. The bullet never exited staying inside behind the left shoulder.

Attachments

• This was the first moose I saw. We saw one other travelling with this one.jpg
    This was the first moose I saw. We saw one other travelling with this one.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 34
Remington 700 7MM Mag!!!

Stop listening to people who don't know what they are talking about.
I have also heard that the 7mm Rem Mag is not a very accurate caliber - which my Weatherby seems to confirm.

On a recent Mule deer hunt in Montana the outfitter told me he has seen more game wounded and lost by 7mm's than all other calibers combined.
And get a new outfitter!

Several people have made comments on my two hunting trip guides and how they would have responded to their comments or actions.

The Montana Mule deer hunt was a trip I purchased at a Safari Club fund raising dinner, I had never used the outfitter before (I had never hunted MT before) and I had no choice as to the guide, outfitter, location, etc. This guide was fine he did a good job for us and did what he had to do to get us the deer we wanted. I took the rifle, caliber, shooting comments made by the outfitter (the guide's father) as "his opinion" as we all know everyone has "at least one" of those!

The B.C. Moose hunt is another story. That trip I picked. It was my 3rd trip to B.C. for Moose, the first two using different outfitters in different areas and both being unsuccessful. Non residents are REQUIRED to use outfitters in B.C. so hunting without one is not an option. I guess I was so happy to have a Moose on the ground and knowing my shot would have been fatal and stopped him shortly I was only mildly "miffed" at the guide finishing off my Moose. If I ever use them again I will have a "serious discussion" with the outfitter and guide as to their roles before we go afield.

7 mm mag - Accuracy & Hunting

I just joined this forum, although I have read several responses and feedback people have shared..... THANK-YOU to ALL....

I am no expert in rifles......but one thing I have learned is that there is MANY factors in which rifle is best suited for the individual AND the type of game they choose to hunt/harvest.

My personal opinion is that most of us (some people) have not had the right fitting firearm; eg. have five people shoot the same firearm, and EACH with hold and shoot that rifle differently. Find someone who can offer this advise/service.

Secondly, who really has had effective training or coaching on HOW-TO shoot. WOW!!! This is a big one for me...and after 45 yrs of shooting, I am STILL learning how to shoot in different situations and conditions when shooting or hunting.

There are a lot of GREAT videos and free advise on the net.... WATCH or READ this advise AND PRACTICE....

And lastly, there is NO bad rifle....or calibre; even a bullet which tumbles when it leaves the barrel (scary) still has the ability to hit something...lol

Cheers to ALL

Ps. I have no favorite rifle cal. Although, I shoot a 7mm Mag

Just saying:
Aren't all Weatherbys guaranteed to target .99 sub-moa or less out of the box?

I don't see much benefit in purchasing something new when the difference between a 30 cal a 28 cal are only two calibers apart. Go up scale you get more recoil. Down scale and you might get a marginal caliber for heavy weight Big Game.

My suggestion:
Spendy rifle to be disappointed in. Maybe consider sending to different factory authorized repair shop for one last try at tightening up its grouping.

As far as the guides behavior. Haven't heard his side of the story. So, no comment.

My experience with Weatherby
Non.
But I do have a friend who owns one. Older model Mark 5 Deluxe in 257 mag. He loves his. All his deer are targeted either on their white patch located under the lower jaw or back of the head. I've seen him once make a shot on a 8 point beyond 200 yards. Stupidly standing looking at us two old geezers walking to our vehicle parked on a hay field on the last day of deer hunting season. His single shot: Spot on center of white patch. No monkey business. Buck fell on the spot. Seeing that shot made prompted me to buy a Rem Mtn 25-06. Thus forcing early retirement of my 742 06 carbine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back