Winter carry, any changes?

During the winter, people wear more layers (in most of the country). While clothing layers won't stop a bullet, they can certainly clog a hollowpoint and effectively make your round a FMJ. Thus, I am more likely to carry a .40 or .45 over a 9mm or .38+P over the winter. Note, I said more likely...Once upon a time (as in, for 5-10 years until about a year ago) it was pretty much a given that I'd carry the bigger caliber, but now, with improvements in JHP through clothing I barely make a distinction in winter caliber. Also, I often carry a .45 during the summer now as well. Which I pick depends upon my mood, year round.

Because most of us are also wearing more layers, it is easier to conceal a bigger gun. Since that changes the size/capability v. concealment compromise, it makes sense to move up the size of the gun you carry. So, I used to carry a bigger gun (when in a state where I can carry) during the winter. I used to... My winter carry gun was a .45ACP P250 Compact and sometimes my S&W 625MG. I've added a CZ P01 which is similar in size to the P250 Compact. The rest of the time I usually carried a SIG P290 (before that a Taurus 85). Now, I have found that for the way I dress, 90% of the time I can carry my winter guns (with the usual exception of the N-frame) year round, and I go for a big increase in capability over a marginal increase in comfort and carry the larger compact guns year round.

The Glock 27 sees more time in winter in an OWB as I almost always have a vest on.

Summer the LCP II will be getting more time in pocket carry mode.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OWB with jacket or coat on, when its cold enough. Also occasional carry in coat pocket. Other times the usual ankle holster.

The only thing I change is going more often with a OWB holster rather than the IWB I wear in the warmer months. When you have a coat, a sweater and you need to get your hands on the gun, OWB is simply more convenient and quicker.

My winter gun is usually a SW 1911 SC, normally OWB. Summer gun varies but mostly it is a SW Shield, 9mm, IWB

For winter, no. Just the standard Glock 17 or 1911 (If Im carring 1911s at the time)

Sometimes when it is extra hot Ill go with the Glock 26 or LCR .38 +p

Will sometimes carry a full size 1911 or Beretta 92FS in winter, although rarely in summer.

Georgia didn't really have a "winter" this year (we were jipped! :mad: ), so I default to more compact 9mm options such as the P99AS or P7. Ammo choices never change as I use what can deal with most any scenario.

Back