Winter carry, any changes?

Nothing specific, but I don't have to think about my CC for the day so much in the winter, which is nice. I usually carry based on my outfit, as I'm very particular about not printing. 3/4 of the year that means that I need to figure out where on my body I can carry based on what I'm wearing, which in turn influences which gun I carry. My LCR is great in the small of my back in jeans, a P238 is the biggest/ heaviest I can really get away with in a lethal lace thigh wrap if I'm in a dress, and a G27 in a flashbang is pretty much my go-to in leggings. Heavier/ looser clothing in winter means I can just throw whatever the heck I want in an IWB or interior coat pocket and be on my way. It is glorious.

Bigger gun is all...OWB year round with a Smith M60-3" in summer, and a Sig 1911 RCS in winter. No extra rounds, magazines etc....I live in KY not Beirut (or Chicago!)

I generally carry a G19, but during warm months I will sometimes slack off and go with the G43 because its easier to conceal under light clothing. That's seldom an issue in the winter.

Simplicity is good but so is adaptability. If you live in a place with seasonal weather and wardrobe changes, I think it makes sense to have two or three good carry guns to cover those different environments. Besides winter sports, an upshot to freezing cold is more relaxed selection criteria. :)

I carry the same gun year round,it may be cold outside but I also spend a lot of time inside in light clothing during the winter.

I didn't carry a different service revolver or pistol due to seasonal changes when I was working, whether in uniform or in plainclothes. ;)

On my own time, and now retired? Well, as someone else mentioned, it's handy to be able to use changes in (seasonal) clothing to accommodate carrying a different concealed handgun, if desired (or considered necessary).

Keep it the same. Muscle memory counts. Besides, why change? Go to the store and look at winter coats. Do you seriously think a little fabric is going to make a difference? If it does then you're using the wrong gun to begin with.

Keep it the same. Muscle memory counts. Besides, why change? Go to the store and look at winter coats. Do you seriously think a little fabric is going to make a difference? If it does then you're using the wrong gun to begin with.

Muscle memory is a wonderful thing. Ideally, it would be developed for use in different types of situations. It would be developed with diverse drills and training courses. It... wait a minute... at this point, isn't it also flexible? Why wouldn't that "muscle memory" apply to a variety of different firearms, at least if they all had similar actions or controls?

Consider the the maxim that you should always carry the most powerful (or at least most effective) weapon that you reasonably and comfortably can. The difference between a humid 96 and a dry 10 is more than a "little fabric". That can also be true for work vs play, casual vs formal, or even sitting vs standing depending on what you do. There might be a wrong gun for a particular circumstance but having a few practiced options can go a long way towards helping you to have the right one.

Left side shoulder holster Bulldog.

Ozzieman, I've been thinking about getting a Bulldog. Three seasons out of the year, I'm already carrying semi-automatics under my left shoulder. What kind of holster are you using for your Bulldog and do you like it?

Winter carry, any changes?

No, Here in NC we generally don't have lost of bitterly cold weather, so for the most part people don't ware lots of heavy clothing, which could start to slow down a bullet. I carry either a model 640 or a 2 1/2" model 19. Both are loaded with hot 38 special ammo.

Cold weather means lots of extra clothing (and therefore additional concealability), up here in Maine, so I switch to OWB and more horsepower. Either the S&W 629 Talo 3", or the S&W 29 Classic 4" , both .44 Magnums loaded with Hornady 240 XTP's Magnum loads. Warm weather may find me carrying (IWB), a Springfield 1911A1 .45, a Sig 220 .45, Beretta M9 9MM and or my S&W 642 or 638 in a pocket holster. All carried with lots of spare ammo.

Last edited:
Summer carry: either IWB at about 4 o'clock or in a pocket (LCP).

Winter carry: IWB/OWB at about 3 o'clock or a little forward of that. Holster position changed just last winter during a training session, as I noticed that once I was wearing a couple layers and a jacket, trying to execute a smooth draw from 4 o'clock was a lot more difficult. Either I wasn't always pulling my clothing out of the way far enough, or my gunbutt was getting caught on said clothing as I was trying to pull it out of the way. So I started moving my holster forward a little at a time until I could draw efficiently almost regardless of how much clothing I had on. For me that's about 2:45.

Oh, and in the winter I carry larger calibers; either a .40 or a .45 acp.

It is Winter, here in Jacksonville, FL we are only getting into the upper 70's every afternoon. No real change in what I am carrying where or how.

Back