Winchester SXP Defender mini review

alaskabushman:

I don't think you can ever have enough pump guns:D! I've looked at the Marine model myself, but can't justify it in my part of the country. Sure do wish that the standard Defender was threaded for tubes though.

I've been doing all my hunting with a shotgun for several years now, and a dedicated slug gun will allow me to use sabot ammunition and extend my practical range on whitetails. I should clarify that where I hunt, 80 to 100 yards is a long shot.

The camp/field combo you've linked to is the one I purchased. A 26" field barrel with 3 tubes and an 18" Defender barrel. It was only $100 more than the standard field model, and I'd rather have 2 security guns available and never need them than 1 day need 2 and have 1;).

As far as the bolt comparison between the 870, 500, and SXP (including the 1200/1300 models, all 3 are sound and proven designs as are the complete guns. It just comes down to personal preference. That said, you can have a lot of fun listening to an argument between an 870 devotee and his 500 counterpart!

When it comes to disassembly/cleaning/reassembly, all 3 break-down with ease and are a snap to thoroughly clean and lube. The Winchesters and the 870 are a breeze to reassemble. The 500 has always made me wish I had 20 blade-thin fingers, but millions of other people don't seem to have a problem with it:rolleyes:. It kind of bothers me that the 500's magazine tube can't be cleaned without removal from the receiver, and I think that's a disadvantage especially on a waterfowl gun or 1 used in the conditions you describe.

And you're spot on about the recoil pad! The Winchester beats it's target market competitors hands down! Add the pad to the smooth and wiggle free action, fast cycling, back-bored and chrome lined barrel and you've got a gun that will give Remington and Mossberg a real dose of reality!

It's worth note that the SXP is not a foreign copy of the 1300, but is manufactured and assembled in a modern factory in Turkey where Winchester(Browning?) has commissioned them to produce the guns to Winchesters specifications. It's too bad they're not made here in the U.S.A., but this gun manufactured in New Haven would probably have an MSRP double what it is now, not a good idea for the sub-$500 market.

Let me know if you get a Marine variant, while I try to come up with a reason that I "need" 1:).

My 1 gripe about the SXP: no 20 gauge models (yet?)!

Last edited:
It works fine across a typical room, but larger rooms, open areas or long halls can create distances where the shot pattern can open up to 10 inches or more depending on load. An improved cylinder or modified would tighten things up some and still allow use of slugs with no I'll effect.

Today you don't change chokes to change patterns - you change loads.

Get yourself a box of Federal 00 buck loaded in FliteControl wads if you want tighter patterns out of a CYL bore - there are several variations available, I suggest staying away from reduced recoil buck and slugs for 'serious' use though. Try some pattern tests with that and see how it works for you. For 'ordinary' patterns try any standard major manufacturer buckshot, for 'open' patterns try the cheap stuff - S&B, Rio etc.

The Winchester 1300 (essentially what you have) is a well designed and constructed shotgun, though in the crucible of government issue decades ago (as the Winchester 1200) they didn't hold up as well as some other designs. Given what normal people do with a shotgun, yours should easily outlast you. I do suggest being careful about what cleaning solvents you use, however. The older versions had a nylon/plastic/polymer/whatever throat in the magazine tube/receiver junction, and some chemicals could do bad things to it. I don't know if that is still the case, but it might be an area to explore further.

lee lapin:

Thanks for your post. I recently got "gifted" a 1200 Defender 8-shot that had been in service with the Corrections department. The serial number reveals its date of manufacture as 1981, and it looks to have been dragged behind a truck down a gravel road everyday of its service.

The bluing is gone, scratches all over the receiver, wood furniture that looked like a guard repeatedly doused it with Coca-Cola*, but no pitting and only light surface rust. Your typical 30+ year old service weapon that saw use by hundreds but belonged to no one.

I broke it down for a good scrubbing and light lube, replaced the ejector and spring, the magazine spring and follower, and replaced the old wood with new synthetic furniture.

After that, I ran 100 rounds of Winchester promotional light loads through it and couldn't be more happy. My "truck gun" has arrived!

*Coca-Cola is a registered trademark

Congratulations! Anyone who makes the best of a "Cinderella" pumpgun (Dave's term, BTW) is smarter than the average bear.

Thanks Lee! Every once in a while I'm in the right place at the right time. And I found out that it works just fine with Spartan buckshot ($80 for 250 rounds).

I thought this thread died... so I ain't been back. :eek:

I haven't found any Federal flight control around here.

I did find a few other loads to try.

Like I said, be careful when buying extra barrels. The 5-shot barrels won't work on a 4-shot mag tube. The 4-shot barrels can be made to work on a 5-shot tube with a spacer.

As for accessories. The SXP has enough out there of the stuff that really belongs on a serious shotgun.
1300 mag extensions work.
Any 870 stock will work with minor trimming as I hear.
And while 1300 side saddles don't match up quite right. I'm sure some minor drilling and fitting will solve that.
Beside that. All the various universal mounts and clamps will let you set it up any way you want it.
Also anything made for the FN P-12 will work since it's the same exact gun. Namely the cantilever barrel if you want one.

Has anyone else wondered why they didn't just stick with either a 4 shot or 5 shot magazine on all the SXP variants, or am I just missing something:confused:?

Yea. I have. It's really one of the more annoying things about the SXP.
Winchester should have just picked on and called it good. But no, now you gotta worry about which barrel you're buying or if you'll be able to set up your new SXP the way you really want in the future all because of that one extra round.
Bought a field gun and wanted to have it serve HD duty? Hope you're comfortable cutting barrels cuz that's the only way that's happening.

I agree, it seems foolish from a manufacturing standpoint as well. We won't see an 8-shot version due to import restrictions, so why bother with 2 tube capacities for a 1 round difference?

There's good news for anyone who bought an SXP Defender and want to add a field barrel. Winchester markets both a 26 and 28" vent-rib barrel that includes a modified Invector Plus choke tube. Part numbers are 611257391 (26"), and 611257392 (28").

I agree, it seems foolish from a manufacturing standpoint as well. We won't see an 8-shot version due to import restrictions, so why bother with 2 tube capacities for a 1 round difference?

What restriction is that? There are certain restriction on imported semis and some states limit capacity to 10 rounds. Isn't this a pump? ( I believe it is 10 in the magazine and the capacity limit does not include the pipe.)

It's indeed a pump. And I may have been misinformed. My understanding was that ANY imported repeating shotgun could not have a magazine capacity in excess of 5 (2.75") shells.

I have seen something on the net to that effect, but it didn't make sense when held up against the cited code. I believe there is no special limit on magazine capacities for imported shotguns, but I could be wrong.

If you are looking for the law on capacity for an imported shotgun, it is 922R...

Title 18 of the US Code (18 USC), Chapter 44 Section 922, Paragraph R states:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to--
(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General. "

Not applicable to the SXP or P12.

I can never be sure that I'm not getting federal regulations and "east coast, west coast" whims confused:rolleyes:.

MarkCO:

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I need to check my facts before I spout off:o.

sorry 'bout that,
Jeff

p.s.: I should've known. My buddy's got a Browning BPS with a 7 shot mag tube and 20" barrel. Hate it when I do that.

I cited it so you can read it, however I have heard it both ways...that semiautomatic applies to both, and some that it applies only to rifles, but not shotguns.

The question may be as simple as if these guns are in fact imported in the configuration as they are sold, or US converted.

FNH-USA imports the SCARs from Belgium, and "converts" them here in the USA. Same for the SLP shotguns.

God, how I miss simplicity. Thanks again for the info and your mention of the P-12 in an earlier post. Couldn't quite swing the one I found, but now I'm hunting down a barrel for my SXP.

Winchester does make a 7+1 SXP called the Defender High Capacity. But it's only sold in European and other markets. So there's got to be a reason they're not importing them here.
Look on Winchester's international site it's there.
http://www.winchesterint.com/winche...p?group1=1&group2=3&group3=&submod=A-WSXPHCAP
I actually asked the question about import mag restrictions for pump-guns before (either here or on The High Road) and was told that the limit is 5 rounds regardless if it's a semi or a pump.

Back