Will Many Here be Voting for Ron Paul or Bob Barr?

Originally posted by JohnKSa
A vote is too precious to be used to support a candidate whose views do not fully reflect the voter's views.

Unfortunately the only way that can happen is if I'm the one running for office. I personally have NEVER had the chance to vote for someone I agree with even close to 100%. I feel lucky if I agree more than 60% of the time.

There's a issues quiz doodads floating around the 'net and I don't agree with a single candidate more than 50% of the time.

I have to look at the 2 or 3 issues that are most important to me and decide who matches most on those issues. Even then it's rare to be in total agreement.

No, neither McCain nor any other candidate has a presumptive claim to my vote. It's MY vote. And this year I'm giving it to Barr, so that I can avoid being seen as apathetic when I don't give it to either McCain OR Obama, neither of whom deserve to be any closer to the White house than a tourist can get.

And yet, one of the two, Sen. McCain or Sen. Obama WILL be in the White House come next January. Pretending that it's not going to happen will not change that virtual certainty. You can make a choice to help decide who will be there, or keep on pretending that it doesn't really matter. My guess is that it won't Ron Paul or Bob Barr.

sasquatch
And yet, one of the two, Sen. McCain or Sen. Obama WILL be in the White House come next January. Pretending that it's not going to happen will not change that virtual certainty. You can make a choice to help decide who will be there, or keep on pretending that it doesn't really matter. My guess is that it won't Ron Paul or Bob Barr.

So, according to your way of thinking... and theoretically speaking.... if we had Adolf Hitler running against Josef Stalin, and it seemed likely one of the two would win, should we choose the lesser of two evils even if we don't like either one? So, not voting for Hitler or Stalin would be a wasted vote then?

Nice analogy, I guess, but totally irrelevant to the situation at hand. Neither Hitler nor Stalin are in the race for President of the US.

Nice analogy, I guess, but totally irrelevant to the situation at hand. Neither Hitler nor Stalin are in the race for President of the US.

It's not nice to insist on reality, it knocks people off their soapboxes.

It's okay to ignore the truth behind my analogy if it makes you feel uncomfortable. The fact is, the position that "we should all vote for the two most popular guys" does not hold water when you apply logic to it. Don't be offended by this logic. Turn your brain on and think about it.

Each voter in a competitive state makes a choice and participates in the election of either McCain or Obama, either by commission or omission.

It's okay to ignore the truth behind my analogy if it makes you feel uncomfortable. The fact is, the position that we should all vote for the two most popular guys does not hold water when you apply logic to it. Don't be offended. Turn your brain on and think about it.

And it's OK to ignore the truth behind the reality of the current situation if you can't deal with it......it will be McCain or Obama in the White House.

Don't be offended.......you will probably have company there with your head in the sand.

Sasquatch
And it's OK to ignore the truth behind the reality of the current situation if you can't deal with it......it will be McCain or Obama in the White House.

Don't be offended.......you will probably have company there with your head in the sand.

You sound a bit angry. I have liberal friends who react the same way when we get into these types of discussions. Liberals get so angry and red-faced when I disagree with them. I realize that they are dolts and just leave them be. I figure, they have the info they need to make the right choice.

And so do you.

Each voter in a competitive state makes a choice and participates in the election of either McCain or Obama, either by commission or omission.

A competitive state? That is quite amusing.

They've given us a red apple and a green apple and told us we have a choice.

The country needs a banana.

You sound a bit angry. I have liberal friends who react the same way when we get into these types of discussions. Liberals get so angry and red-faced when I disagree with them. I realize that they are dolts and just leave them be. I figure, they have the info they need to make the right choice.

And so do you.

Not the least bit angry. And hardly a liberal, either.

I do have the info I need to make a choice, and I understand the consequences of that choice........the real-world consequences which will affect this country for the next 4-8 years, and probably beyond that.

Anger has nothing to do with it. Wondering why the concept seems beyond some people does..........

JohnKSa said:
Too many people see their vote as a tool to put someone in office, but that's not how it should be....
Sorry, John, I disagree. It's about results. And in this case, in my view, the desired result is to keep Obama out of the White House. And the only way for that to happen is for McCain to win.

In my opinion, the country's interests, the Constitution, the interests of gun owners, the economy and my personal interests would suffer with Obama as President as compared with McCain.

I know its a vote for Obama, but I'm not totally convinced that voting for the lessor of two evils is the way to go this time

I think McCain is actually the lessee of two evils, but the kind of SUV he drives and the financial arrangement he made doesn't make him a lesser candidate.

(Or something. I'm just tired of seeing "lessor" misused around the net, and I'm cranky today. Sorry.)

Of course they are wasting their vote. Might make them feel better, but if they are a conservative, it is the same as voting for Obama... :barf:

fiddletown
Sorry, John, I disagree. It's about results. And in this case, in my view, the desired result is to keep Obama out of the White House. And the only way for that to happen is for McCain to win.

McCain is a liberal. So, you will be helping to elect a liberal in order to keep a liberal out of the white house. That just doesn't make sense.

write in Ron Paul for me.

Saw this head line on drudge today:
McCain, a leader for all civilizations, says former rival Fred Thompson

thats just damn creepy.....

Some just cannot get over McCain winning the nomination. He wasn't my first pick but he is better than Obama by far. Politics is almost never a case of getting your ideal candidate because people all want different things.

I want someone who is strong on the 2A and will appoint constructionist Justices. I want someone who will put America first and not buy into the Climate Change Hysteria. I want someone who will not tax the hell out of those Americans who do work to support and gain the votes of those who don't. Finally I need a president who understands the one duty expressly stated as a responsibility for the Federal gov't, Provide for the Common Defense.

At the same time I want someone who will stand up to religious fanatics within our own nation and is smart enough (in my opinion) to acknowledge that evolution is a viable scientific theory and creationism is nothing but religion pretending to be science with no scientific validity. I want someone who doesn't care who marries whom and thinks adults should be able to pollute their bodies with any stupid substance they choose. I don't want the outlawing of abortion but I certainly do not see it as publicly funded or encouraged; if anything it should be discouraged but not outlawed for the first two trimesters.

There are no VIABLE candidates who have all my beliefs but of the ones out there the Republicans are certainly closer to those I value most. They are opposite me on some issues but you will never find someone who agrees with you on everything.

Back