Wild Bunch 1911

Those are WWII era grips.
Double-diamond changed to overall checkered walnut in the mid-'20s, changing to plastic in '41, I think?

That 1913 Colt has been rebuilt at least once if not more. The slide is from a later gun and it has, of course been parkerized, so it's not a good example to base your gun off of.

The solid checkered Walnut grip panels were introduced along with the 1911A1 at serial number 700,000. Brown plastic stocks were introduced about April 1940, but widespread use wasn't until March 1941.
All

From the adoption of the 1911A1, military SOP has been to maintain 1911 guns with 1911A1 parts as needed.

If a particular gun never needed to be repaired, it just stayed in service "as is".

Grip replacement was done by the company armorer, and replacement would be with available parts, which from WWII on, meant the plastic checkered grips.

I saw 3 different 1911s still in service in the late 70s. One was in virtually pristine original condition, the others had some A1 parts.

HighValleyRanch said:
So solid checkered grips are from 1920 to 1940?
Use whatever grips you want. You've done a good job pursuing the look of early 1911 small parts, but there's no getting around the fact that your frame is an M1911A1 frame, not M1911.

Looks like 1924 is the earliest that I can autentically get this to repro.
And I think that they did come out with the full checkered grips at that time.

I plan on replacing the hammer with the wide spur, but am not sure if there is a difference betwen a series 70 and 80 hammer, or whether an original 1911 frame hamer will fit my AI frame?

90 percent of shooters I hang out with would not know all the differences that everyone has so helpfully helped out with! It's been a good learning experience!

Back