Wife's near draw experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's somewhat understandable that the police get weary of reports that they can't act on.

If a license plate number could have been collected at the time it would be worth making the report so there's something really concrete to work with.
Chances are pretty good that this pair has done bad things before and after this incident and may already have warrants outstanding. And this report would give them cause to stop and interrogate the driver.

Then again, maybe the road rage incident had a plate associated and they still didn't act.

Was still a good reaction in a potentially bad situation.

It might be worth reporting in case the police already have reports of holdups at the WalMart or similar locations and modus operandi. Crooks don't get that organized without practice and I doubt they do dry run practice.

I wonder if where she parked is out of visual range of the store's security cameras. IF the thugs are that well drilled then they likely chose an area of least surveillance, too.

Fantastic situational awareness and keeping her cool!

It's somewhat understandable that the police get weary of reports that they can't act on.

Says who? The police??

No, they do NOT get weary of these reports. The police chain of command does actually use all reports to glean an insight of where they need to re-deploy their cruisers, bicycle and foot patrols day by day...even hour by hour. It is a widespread lack of understanding such as this which leads the public's under-reporting of serious incidents such as the one described by the OP which in turn leads to the police being handicapped by the public.

Skadoosh, I'd tend to agree with your analysis, but it ain't my call to make.

Does your wife actually understand that by her filing a report, such could potentially be saving someone else's life in the future and that perhaps she needs to get over her prior experience and do the right thing?

Does your wife actually understand that by her filing a report, such could potentially be saving someone else's life in the future and that perhaps she needs to get over her prior experience and do the right thing?

Believe me when I say from experience, nothing beneficial ever comes from advising a woman to just "get over" something. ;)

On a more serious note though, we sat down together, I explained to her what I would do in her situation and why I would do it. She acknowledged what I said. The ball is now in her proverbial court and I'll support her decision either way, regardless of whether her point of view agrees with mine.

I agree that it should be reported as soon as possible. That being said, however, I can also understand a reluctance on the part of your wife to repeat an unpleasant experience.

As you stated, Polynikes, it's not your call to make. Best to provide support and hope she comes around on her own

Believe me when I say from experience, nothing beneficial ever comes from advising a woman to just "get over" something.

After twenty two years of marriage to the same woman, I know that sometimes it just has to be said. :cool:

Guys I shared this incident with my wife. She listened intensely because it happened to a woman something she rarely does. She has her permit but hasn't begun to carry daily because of her job, a public school teacher. She can't even have a firearm in her car while at work. So now she wants to carry worst than ever but simply cannot due to this circumstance.

Thank you for this story as it has fired my wife up like no other to date.

When I said "can't do anything about it" I was referring to the road rage reporting experience which wasn't very satisfactory.

I hear this nearly every day as I spend several hours commuting every day for almost a decade listening to the Colo State Patrol on my scanner. "white car speeding on Hwy <> no plate, no driver description, vehicle turned off at exit xxx" -- I can hear it in their voices as they respond on the radio. On the other hand, with a good description, an RP following, and the officer on the route the knothead is driving - they're all over it. And I'm glad they are.

But there are so many road rage incidents every dayI don't think they are even logging the license plates reported in any kind of database. Hence my comment.

(The alternate explanation for the OP's wife's experience is likely to be even less acceptable. )

I agree that it might be best to try to report the *style* of attempted robbery even if the "male and female in a black sedan at Wal-Mart" doesn't give much to go on. A license plate on that black sedan would mean a LOT more.

But...... I'm just a guy on the internet. (as are we all)

Without going into aggressive detail, the "road rage" incident that really put my wife off to police involvement was not a random driver. In that situation, my wife provided the police with vehicle make, model, plate, description of the driver, including name and they still did nothing. The driver of that vehicle was an ex-gf of mine with a vendetta. I think she's just of the opinion that if they didn't do anything with that much information, they're certainly not going to do anything if she reports a "Latino male and Caucasian female in a black sedan." I'm not sure how well she can describe the two individuals, but she didn't get a vehicle plate. The security cameras at Wal-Mart may be another story though.

I'm not attempting to justify not reporting the incident, just stating that I can see where she's coming from.

I'm not attempting to justify not reporting the incident, just stating that I can see where she's coming from.

Your description of a very well planned and coordinated run up to a possible armed robbery or kidnapping incident is very different from a common road rage incident....I assure you the police will definitely be very interested in hearing about this incident.

And, the longer your wife waits, the greater the odds that any videotape Wal-Mart might have will be recorded over.

I understand that you can't make her do something she's not willing to do, but does she understand that her hesitation may cost critical evidence?

I would encourage her to call the police anyway. It's very likely no written report will actually be made in this situation, not because they don't care or want to be bothered, but because no crime was actually commited. (being planned yes, but not commited yet). However, as another poster pointed out they can make special note of a description about the two people and their car and the incident and use it to be on the lookout for any further activity of this type or see if this has happened before. It would be helpful to them in any case. If they are similar to my dept., we would take notes about the incident and then make a memo for the CID and rest of the patrol division to BOLO for the two people and car.

Your description of a very well planned and coordinated run up to a possible armed robbery or kidnapping incident is very different from a common road rage incident....I assure you the police will definitely be very interested in hearing about this incident.

You don't have to assure me of anything. :p I'm of the same opinion, though I do appreciate your reiteration. I'll have her read through all the comments here tonight and see if she can be further swayed.

Last edited:
Your wife did a good job. But, no job is complete until the paperwork is done, to use the old joke. If your wife is reluctant to report to the police, you do it, even if you have to sleep on the couch for a month. We have an obligation to our community a little bit bigger than our personal feelings.

The reason we were granted CCW permits was not to protect our own persons, but to enlarge the police presence in our communities, using law-abiding citizens.

For all you know, robber and robber's boyfriend went home and bought some street guns, in case their next victim is also packing....

With all due to respect to your wife, look she has the guts to CCW, stare down some bad guys and protect herself and kids (great)....but not to call the police!

Like others have posted, what if they go off and hurt someone else?? Your wife has a duty as a citizen to report the incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helo Moosehead24,,,

Fairly inflammatory first post my friend,,,
I suggest you might edit that post to be a little less harsh on the man's wife.

You might have typed the words,,,
But you showed no due respect.

Just a suggestion.

Aarond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back