Why won't my 9mm case fit in the bullet checker?

Even though I’d been loading straight wall ammo for over 30 years when I first started loading 9mm about ten years ago it drove me nuts. Even though it seemed like I had a lot of issues, it really only turned out to be a simple case of not seating bullets deep enough due to a short throat in my M&P. But I did learn another lesson in the process and that was to use an undersized resizing die. Once I started seating bullets to plunk reliably instead of blindly following the SAAMI oal guide and used the undersize die I’ve never had another reliability issue. Of course after determining proper seating depth with dummy rounds I would then work up the load from the beginning. Revolvers are so simple and 9mm was a real learning curve, but once mastered loading 9mm is also pretty simple too. I do use the Lee FCD but I use a very light crimp with good success.

Use the guns barrel for a cartridge checker. A good sized round should go 'plunk' when dropped into the chamber or a Wilson case gage.

langenc said:
A good sized round should go 'plunk' when dropped into the chamber or a Wilson case gage.
Nope. From the Wilson web site:

https://lewilson.com/case-gage

• The "Wilson Case Gage" A one piece gage that will check overall length and indicate min/max case length
  • Measures min/max Headspace. Does not measure body diameters
  • This gage is intended to be used with fired cases to determine a basis for full length sizing and case trimming
Lyman makes a loaded cartridge gauge. So does EGW. Wilson does, too ... but it's not called a Case Gage.

B
e aware that a round that doesn't fit in somebody's "checker" could fit in your barrel just fine.

Ultimately its your gun barrel that is the final "check". If your rounds work in that, the rest doesn't matter, or matter much...

Yea I got a Wilson for 9mm, most did not pass, some brands of cases did.

They all fit in the chamber of the pistol just fine.

I hope the central point of post #29 did not get lost to the crimp discussion.

Lengths can vary on bullets of similar weight .

The part of LOA most folks think of is the one you can see. It matters for fitting the magazine,feeding,etc.

The length that matters regarding pressure,you can't see.Or measure directly.

Its the depth the bullet base is seated to. Reducing combustion chamber volume by seating the bullet base deeper can significantly increase pressure.

Now,another tidbit of info,for no extra charge.

I did not see where you answered if your pistol s a Glock.I've never owned a Glock.I'm not a Glock expert.

At least some Glocks have polygonal rifling. My understanding is cast bullets are not suitable for polygon barrels.They lead badly. Then sometimes shooting jacketed bullets through the leaded barrel spikes pressures.

Good stuff to clutter your mind

Back