Why why why does Glock limp wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it's your wrist or the Glock's performance is neither here or there.
If you like the gun, would you consider trying a good wrist brace or perhaps a wrap when you shoot it? That will tell you fairly quickly whether the issue is more you than Glock or vice versa. My BIL had a Kahr (CM9 I believe) that needed a very firm grip to operate properly. It's just the way some guns are.
More often than not this is prevalent on lighter weapons with a substantial bullet charge. And just like life every gun isn't suited for every one.
That is a good point, the Glocks seem to have a very low bore axis. They just do not feel right in my hand. They make me want to force my grip with the front sight pointed down. It would seem that would make the muzzle rise more on recoil.
One reason why you need to shoot any gun you purchase to make the right fit.

Well, why wouldn't a Glock limp wrist? We all know they're prone to it more than any other firearm manufacturer. They're not perfect. Regardless of what people say. Another fun fact, nothing is.

That said if it's not working out for you as a firearm that is more prone to such an issue, move away from Glock. Head for Smith and Wesson M&P pistols. Or another manufacturer.

Glocks work for many people. Don't be ashamed or have to question yourself if it doesn't work for you.

I have to agree. When it comes to relying on any pistol that requires a precise holding technique in order to insure proper functioning for whatever reason, I want no part of it if I'm carrying the gun for self-defense purposes. In real life, it's not always possible to acquire the perfect grip in a self-defense situation. I would pass on any pistol that requires same, even if it means taking a hit on what you paid for it in terms of what you hope to get for it.
Yup well said. I cannot rely on a firearm that must be held a certain way to function. Under stress (or if drawing from holster under stress/adrenaline) then chances are your grip will be off.
In fact sometimes if I practice a draw and i”mmediately freeze” to check how my grip is upon drawing immediately, sometimes at odd angles. Sometimes I notice I will not have “full perfect grip” upon doing some draws. Sure I can reposition and obtain a better grip but sometimes your 1st draw you won’t have that much time. I remember a Springfield video where he did a draw and immediately fired and you won’t always have a perfect grip.

So I bought a.... S&W. Yes, a former Glock fan finally realized other semi autos work just as well, and in my case BETTER!
I wish they had less moving parts and parts in general like the Glock does, but it’ll do.

In fact sometimes if I practice a draw and i”mmediately freeze” to check how my grip is upon drawing immediately, sometimes at odd angles.
First of all, I agree that a gun that you have to hold with a very careful grip to insure reliability is a problem and nothing I'm saying below should be seen as encouraging you to stay with a gun that doesn't work for you.

However, when you practice your draw, you should be getting a perfect grip EVERY time. Practice means doing it right every time, not just doing it over and over again. If you can't get it right EVERY time then slow down as much as it takes so you can get it perfect every time.

You practice to get it RIGHT. Speed comes naturally once the motion becomes ingrained.

I wonder whether this limp wristing issue of Glock's has become more pronounced since the change of the RSA (recoil spring assembly) from a single flat spring to a dual round spring on some models?

There were some complaints of the dual spring versions not cycling reliably with the lighter factory loads like WWB.

The problem is not with the mechanics of the gun, it is the ergonomics. The “love it or hate it” square feeling Glock grip doesn’t lend itself to someone with limited grip.

Not just Glocks. I have observed 1911A1's, Beretta .40's and S&W MP 9mm's jam from limpwristing. Weaker grips, loose grips, and "little hands" tend to cause it in semiautomatic pistols, regardless of make. One more reason to consider a revolver.

Not just Glocks. I have observed 1911A1's, Beretta .40's and S&W MP 9mm's jam from limpwristing. Weaker grips, loose grips, and "little hands" tend to cause it in semiautomatic pistols, regardless of make. One more reason to consider a revolver.
It’s so odd how that works... I tried to hard to make the Shield 9mm limp wrist. I even fired one mag on my injured hand (injured at the time) which was dumb but even then it still fired.

I went as far as to basically gripping the gun with just the web of my hand and 2 fingers and the Shield kept shooting....
Yet I pick-up a Glock with the same weak grip (on purpose testing its reliability which to me that includes limp wrist failures) and boom, jam!
I guess it has to do with the different style grips on each gun. As I tried hard to make the S&W limp wrist but it would not do it in 200 rounds...

Before I retired twenty years ago, my agency required bi-annual firearm qualifications. Most of the regimen involved drawing a pistol from a thumb-break holster from under a jacket and fire two shots within two seconds. My mantra was to acquire the proper grip first; everything else followed. Though getting a "perfect" purchase on the grip every time during the draw during qualifications or while competing in matches is possible with proper training and much practice, the same can't be necessarily said when drawing a pistol in an uncontrolled and unpredictable self-defense scenario.
Slippery hands from rain, blood or sweat; drawing a weapon while sitting in a car and the holster jammed in the seat behind a safety belt or drawing a gun while grappling with an adversary are just a few examples when a "perfect" grip is compromised by circumstance. Because the perfect grip will not always be possible to acquire, speaking for myself, I will never rely on any pistol being carried for self-defense that requires a perfect grip to function reliably, no matter the brand or reputation.

Last edited:
The need for a "perfect" grip can be drastically overstated. I understand that the OP has a very particular issue and that other comparable pistols don't have that issue for him. It doesn't matter exactly where the fault lies in that. As he is not required to use a particular pistol switching seems a simple enough answer.

I have never experienced such an issue and I assure you that my form, including my grip, is FAR from perfect.

Over a dozen Glocks over the years and I have never had a problem with them functioning. The OP on the other hand seems to have problems all the time.

It would seem self evident the OP should not own, shoot, or carry Glocks.

If they work for you fine. If they don't work for you...fine! Why all the grousing about it? Oh yea, people like to beat up on Glocks. Well if that works for you go ahead but I'm not reading any more of this. (smile)

Dave

To the OP--when you say "boom, jam"--what actually happens when the gun jams? Be sure to describe as accurately as you can the actual jam prior to "fussing" with the gun.

Over a dozen Glocks over the years and I have never had a problem with them functioning. The OP on the other hand seems to have problems all the time.

If they work for you fine. If they don't work for you...fine! Why all the grousing about it? Oh yea, people like to beat up on Glocks. Well if that works for you go ahead but I'm not reading any more of this. (smile)

Dave
lol I love Glocks and think they are superior to other handguns due to their simplicity and so few parts. I believe reliability is king.

Now I have owned basically only Glocks my entire life and this problem is relatively new. I mainly noticed it once I started to go to the range for the first time ever regularly. Also I hurt my wrist this year so that didn’t help.

I’ve shot more this year then all the previous years in my life put together.

So Glocks are damn good guns and I hate to have to sell them all, but all the compacts I guess don’t work for me anymore for whatever reason. The Glock 19 is basically 100% unless I purposely tried to induce a limp wrist failure. Even when I do normally the Glock 19 has a failure to feed from trying to limp wrist it.
While if I purposely try to induce a limp wrist on a Glock 43 it’ll normally have a stovepipe, or a failure to feed. So it seems the smaller the gun the worse it is. Which makes sense.

But like I said I decided to move past Glock and try something else that has worked for me, like S&W shield, etc.

Thats how glock are unfortunately. Polymer guns seem more prone to this but glocks are the worst. Hotter ammo seems less prone to this, if not completely eliminates it.

U can try something else. I dont think you can induce a limpwrist malfunction in a sig classic. Those are larger heavier guns though unfortunately.

Glock 40s seem less prone to this than 9mm, but they will punish your wrist more.

Ive personally not had an issue with lumpwristing, although i did have a gen 4 glock 23 that had a few fte’s for unknown reasons, so who onows if grip played into it.

If a gun limpwrists, I "forgive it" for a couple of hundred rounds. If it keeps doing it, it's gone. I have approx 2 dozen semiautos currently, and none of them limpwrists. Most are steel or alum framed with steel slides, but I have several polymer guns from SAR, Taurus, and Tanfoglio, and they all shoot fine with a very weak grip on them. Bad ammo is about the only thing that causes any issues and I haven't had any lately. They even shoot the steel cased stuff that has caused problems in the past without a problem.

Dave
Pretty much. Seems the user and the platform are incompatible.

Me? I've owned most size and caliber Glocks over the years and have never once had an issue with limp wresting, even when shooting in odd positions or weak hand or trying to make it limp wrist.

My wife and her much smaller hands and general dislike for autoloaders (and often odd grip till I make her correct it) never has had an issue with my Glocks either. Though she prefers my (hers, now) 229 with the E2 grips.

Some guns dont fit some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back