Why the sudden interest in Mosin Nagants?

Nope, nothing that dramatic! Heck, I don't even mind them for what they are if you can believe that. But THEY are what they are. Some want to make them into something they're not and some even go as far as to include a Russian hyped, propagandised WWII shooter with a hand picked, arsenal built rifle to justify their reasoning.

Have fun with you're Mosin. Heck, even be proud of it. But call a spade a spade.

Indeed, I see your point. Its human nature to defend what ever brand you own. No the Mosin is NOT my favorite rifle in the safe. But they have an interesting history and A LOT of it. The russians were involved in that war long before we were and had ALOT more to lose. I like the history of the rifle and storys of the people who used them (the whole reason I buy C&R firearms). And heck yeah I like burning up that cheap ammo. I should have bought all the cheap enfield and mauser ammo I could get my hands on back in the day when it was available.

You're right, the safety is a joke.

I'll bet the soldiers holding them never used it.

There are mods (like adding a ring) that make it easier to use, but look odd.

We're not hunters, so there's no need for a safety off the bench. But, my converted Mosin has the Timney, which in addition to the usual match grade trigger, features a usable trigger-block safety.

Tell that to someone like Vasily Zaytsev, just before he took your head off with one of those, "sucker rifles" with some of that horribly inaccurate surplus corrosive ammo.
I will stick with Carlos Hathcock's pre 64 M-70 if you don't mind.

If you spent any time on a Milsurp forum over the last 7 years you'd see the interest is hardly new ... but quite old.

Tiki.

Back