Why the .300 Win Mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be too persuaded of that unless you believe that most hunters have their own TV shows.

I've never met a hunter who hunts like they do on "those" shows.

On the other hand, most shows I see and most hunters I know, don't hunt that way.

Brian, I think you are right. I got "carried away" somewhat. However, there are a fair number of questions about 1,000 yard rifles, and some are intended for hunting.

Some years ago there was a discussion about that on some forum. A guide who defended it posted a picture of his dad, and another man beside a road with heavy tripods, that would be used for heavy instruments, and the men with their guns and deer that had been shot at 1,000 yds.. He was proud of that. I could not imagine anything sporting about that type of hunting.

I admit that I do not know any hunters who hunt like that either.

Seeing a 7 year old hunting from a "room" type stand over a planted field and shoot a buck then bragged upon is disgusting to me. Such taking of game is not hunting, but just shooting, and takes no hunting skills.

I guess this is OT as to why the .300, however.

Jerry

Out where I live we have a lot of road hunters who will drive around in their 4x4 and blow things away with their ridiculously overpowered magnums and brag about it as well. This is also not hunting. I have personally stopped a few that drive around my neck of the woods and told them that a real man would hunt like one.

I also know a lot of land owners with tree stands on their own property who make a weekend of sitting in their 4ftx4ft box drinking whiskey and harvesting their game meat for the year. This unfortunately is not hunting either.

This past season I can proudly say I spent 8 days in the bush with nothing more than what I could carry on my back and filled all my tags. I believe that "roughing it" is the most rewarding way to hunt.

I think if you can't make your shot with what you can carry around in the woods for days at a time then you have no business to hunt with it. The handicap for hunters to deer is already a little unbalanced having a firearm and all ... Why cheat?

/End rant

Some men are inherently displeased and unsatisfied with their penis length and hear about it from their wives because its it true. Therefore they feel the need to buy something they cannot handle well or use effectively to prove their manhood. In MOST instances the owners of the .300 Win, Wby, RUM et al fall into this category. Others that fall into the category are diesel truck owners that never pull or only pull a 6000lb or under boat, commute to the office and never actually use it to work.

I drive one of those trucks because im getting 23mpg highway versus 17 with my gas truck so when i do pull my boat its a 65 mile trip to the gulf towing is betting and eaisier with the bigger truck also. I also own and love the 300 win mag but i do prefer the 30/06 for hunting

Look at it this way, fishbones. If you want to be insulted for your choice of rifles or vehicles, you can find it indexed and waiting at TFL. If you go to NPR for your blood pressure boost like me, you have to wade through the Tappet Brothers, some classical music, and a discussion of the latest brain research before you find Bob Edwards and his angry guests. We shooters of stout rifles might question the manly fortitude of those who don't shoot them, but I notice no one has. We wouldn't do that...would we ;)

Why do these type of threads always end up in the dumpster? Either you are not manly enough to shoot the .348 bo-zinga or you only have it because of inadequate genitalia. If you ain't like me, you must be wrong. Funny, when I hunt deer with my X-Frame folks accuse me of the genitalia thingy, but when I take the .357 these same folk tell me I am under-gunned and I'm leaving the woods filled with maimed animals dieing a slow painful death. When I take the .44, I get a little bit of both. I finally have come to the conclusion that some folks just need to criticize other folk's choices in order to try and validate their own.

Me, I care less what folks use as long as it's legal and ethical. While it may work for them and not for me, it don't make them wrong, it just makes them not me. I ain't gotta problem with that.

I actually think it boils down to..if U shoot a 300 and get the job done..great!
If U shoot a 308 and it gets the job done great! Shoot whatever U are comfortable/confident in....;)

Originally posted by Eldermike:

I get it, you drive a subaru and shoot a little gun because you are a real man.:p

No, like the proverbial neutered dog, you don't get it.:p

If you did, you would not waste the ban width here with your SFB remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back