Why the .300 Win Mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some men are inherently displeased and unsatisfied with their penis length and hear about it from their wives because its it true. Therefore they feel the need to buy something they cannot handle well or use effectively to prove their manhood. In MOST instances the owners of the .300 Win, Wby, RUM et al fall into this category. Others that fall into the category are diesel truck owners that never pull or only pull a 6000lb or under boat, commute to the office and never actually use it to work.

I hesitate to post after Saltydog..:eek:..but what the heck! (Wife says I'm OK..but I did catch her in a white lie once..hmmmm)....

I have two 300 mags..one 30-06..and eight 308's....They all are good for what I use them for....They can all kill the same game..but I think some are better suited for different uses....It may be a different gun type that makes as big a difference as the caliber....I hunt with them all....

Is'nt the military promoting more use of the 300 win mag?

Oh..and Ken B........A buddy took bull elk over 400 yrds..with a 338 mag....One shot was on the move....He is convinced in magnum calibers for big game..and shoots them well....He shoots a 30-06 for whitetail....

Last edited:
Tongue in cheek. Some people (99.9% men) feel that more power equates to deficiencies in other areas. I see the merits of the .300 WM for the armed forces sniper and to an extent a western hunter who has the time, ability and room to reach out. I do not see the advantages or worth for someone whose ranges are 300yds and under, it just isn't there, thus the compensation remark. If a .243, .7mm08, .308 etc kills something stone dead at 300yds which is stretching it for 90% of the gun toters I come across, then what advantage does the .300 WM or similar give, what disadvantages?

I use to shoot a .300 Wby and thought it was going to be the 2nd coming, it wasn't. I've killed far more deer, pigs, yotes, bobcats, foxes, etc with a .243, 7mm08 and .308 than I ever did with that .300 Wby and had a lot more fun at the range as well to distances of 500yds (limits of where I could shoot). Those large magnums are inefficient cases, cost more to buy and load, punish you with recoil and aren't needed for the majority of hunters.

The great thing though is that we live in a free country (at least for now) and can choose what we want. If a man thinks a .300 Whatever Mag is going to make him a better shot, better hunter and perceived as more manly, then go for it. My opinion is that most shooters become better shots when they aren't pounded by recoil, can afford shoot more, aren't afraid of the gun and realize the gun and shooter have limits.

I've been using a 300 Winchester Mag since the early 90's as my elk rifle. I made the jump from a 30/06 because I witnessed an elk shot broadside in the heart with an ought six, 180 grain bullet, at about 250 yards, and the bullet was recovered. The elk ran over 100 yards and left very little blood to trail. In my mind then, and still today, is that 2 holes are better than 1 for tracking and that cartridge/bullet combination did not provide it at what I consider a very shootable distance.

So there you have it, I did not make the move to compensate for any bodily deficiencies:eek:, I did it to make the job of recovering animals I shoot easier.

I don't own a 300 Win Mag and don't intend to get one, but that's totally based on what and where I hunt. The only 300 Mag advantage that would matter to me is that you can load that cartridge down to 30-06 levels whereas you can't load the 30-06 up to 300 Mag levels.

I've got two friends here in central TX that had custom guns made in what they say are 30-338 WbyMag's, which are for elk and mulie hunting. They shoot small fast bullets in them. To me that's just crazy, but they love their overbore cannons. And they brought me some Elk meat, so I praise their rifles.

I have no use for a 300 WM,, As the longest shot I coud get would be 200 yards. I use to use my 243 alot untill the under brush started to grow,, Hit a twig & you blown a shot, It happens
I rather use my 06 with 150gr JSP, Rather CHEAP in my book & works great at
the distance I hunt & can Hit what I shoot at ; )
Y/D

I've don't watch many of the hunting shows but I've never noticed much in the way of magnum rifles being used. I will say that most owners of any of the magnum rifle rounds own them due to American "magnumitis" and not out of need. Heck, I could care less though. They want em, they can have em by the truck load.

F23Blackwidow2. You too could be on TV. If you chose to use to use a Barrett 50 M-107 for antelope and all the way up to elephant. I might even tune in to see one of those episode on TV. You have to wonder why we all fill our safes and closets up with so many different caliber rifles. Motto: "Why not just buy one and be done!!" A Barrett would do it for me. How about you?_:o

Shot placement is the first requirement.Very flat trajectories are helpful to a point.

Some of the load manuals offer "maximum point blank" ranges for given bullets/velocities,this is how far you can shoot with + or - 5 in trajectory.

I'm not going to go get the book,but I don't thnk any 7mm mag/300 win mag loads will make 400 yds with max point blank.

1970s,80's,about the best rangefinders were a cheap plastic split image rangefinder that did not work all that well,and a reticle like the mil-dot.Mil dots were uncommon and expensive.A few of us figured out the mildot rangefinding principle could be applied to the known size of a duplex.It was useful that a 6x by 42mm leupold duplex was one mil,center to post.

With those tools to estimate range,and a knowledge of our trajectory,we could "kentucky" and reach out a ways.

Now,folks have 1500 yd lazer rangefinders,kestrel wind meters,I-pads with nightforce software,etc.and great scopes with target knobs

The flat trajectory factor is less important.

You need enough velocity at the animal to make your bullet perform.Bullet manufacturers provide that info.A 165 gr .308 Ballistic tip,I will guess,needs about 1900 fps.That will probably limit your extreme range

You can do all that.

Myself,I use my .257 Ackley on a Mexican Mauser with a 6x scope.

I can rangefind with my duplex well enough to know how to hold,or "too far,get closer"(If an antelope,brisket to whithers,fits right in one mil,its some over 400 yds,I get closer.If he's bigger than one mil,I can look at setting up a shot.)Better he is 1 and 1/4 mil,or 1 1/2.Thats getting closer to 300.

No fumbling with rangefinders,no extra motion,traveling light,and effective.

And no problem keeping my eyes open as I squeeze the trigger.

Never had a .300 Win Mag. Most of my western hunting was with a 7mm Rem Mag, and I now have a .338 Win Mag (dreaming of Alaska). Full disclosure: You will most often see me carrying a 6.5x55 here in the East. But I have to comment on the similarity between this discussion and a couple of "gun safety" discussions on NPR. Kind of "wink, wink" self congratulatory. Can't even imagine how anyone could have a different view. NPR did have a little bitter laughter and cursing, but they didn't quite get to questioning anyone's manhood. Living in SE Idaho, I saw everything from .338 to beat up old 30-30 saddle guns. But the most common rifle carried by the folks I knew was .300 Win Mag. Not that they felt superior to someone carrying a .243; it was simply their choice of rifle. Good hunters learn to shoot their rifle well, and I'm convinced most anyone could shoot my .338 just fine if they put their mind to it and practiced. I think the recoil of that round is overrated. Of course, it's overkill outside of Alaska, but if I ever get the chance to draw down on a big brownie, I won't be worried about my rifle or my marksmanship.

jdoxo sez it best
"I think the question is why not the .300 win mag?"
ever seen a girl too pretty??!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

been hunting w/ a bar 300 winny since 1973

If you load your own bullets you can simply press light loads.

I don't personally own a WM but I do own a 300WSM which is pretty similar. Just cause the case is there doesn't mean it has to be packed full of powder with the biggest .308 caliber bullet you can find rammed in the top.

I have a load that is rather nice to shoot that sends a 165gr cheapo Sierra spbt downrange at2600fps and group into 1/2" at 100yards .
But for the full potential I have a load sending a 200gr Accubond 3000fps grouping 5/8" that is a gun I can take anything from Predators to Deer to Bear.

A 300WM if hand loaded could probably do as good or better than that.

Not hating on the 06 or anything but performance speaks for itself.

The 300 WSM may be the most versatile round/rifle combo made just for the reasons I.R.Chevy pointed out. The 300 WM rifles are heavier, but there are many 300 WSM's that are about the same size and weight as a compact 308. They get 98% of the 300 WM's velocity from a shorter barrel and with about 12-15% less recoil. If you don't need full power loads they are easily downloaded to 308 velocity and recoil levels.

I understand all if that. It makes sense. But for the sake of my shoulder (and the fact that the last time I shot a .300winmag I developed a flinch in less than 10 shots) I'll stick with my .30-06. Thanks guys!

Ken B.

I don't get it either. I am no .308 Winchester fan. Its a fine cartridge, but its not the end all cartridge that many try to make it out to be. I guess that's the reason I am no fan of it. I came up in shooting hearing .308, .308, .308, and eventually discovered that it is definitely not the end all cartridge many think it to be.

HiBC, +!.

I notice on TV when an animal is spotted they go through the drill of shooting sticks, rangefinders, and maybe the camera. Then if the game is still there they shoot.

No longer is the hunter able to get into a fast sitting position with a shooting sling, estimate the range and shoot.
I liked the old Weaver rangefinder reticle but later used the duplex space to range. I admit I did not try 1,000 yard shots, but instead I liked hunting and not just shooting beyond a range where most game is not spooked because of the range.

I am persuaded that few hunters are really able to find, stalk and take game anymore unless they have ATVs, rangefinders, and bipods.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back