Why spend many thousands for older Pythons?

I bought 2 new Pythons a 4” & 6” back in early 70s. They were nice guns but I preferred the m27 S&W, there was no 586 back then. Same with Diamondbacks, bought 38sp 4” and 22 in 6”. Nice guns but edged out by S&Ws. I won’t pay ridiculous prices for old Pythons. Today the good old P&R m27s are $1K +.

You can use Gunwatcher or gun.deals data to show it's 100% because of the Walking Dead.

The Colt Python was not valued as highly before Walking Dead.

Any nostalgia opinions don't add up, because you can see what the Python was doing prior to 2010 including a massive gun buying spree in 2007...

Because self-interested collectors have successfully convinced gullible folks that the new production models are worthless replicas which will never appreciate in value and will only get you laughed at when you take them to the range because that tiny little QR Code on the frame completely ruins the aesthetics.

Basically, the same nonsense that happens with any newer production run, in which some minor aesthetic change completely ruins the gun's appearance, magically makes it less fun to shoot, and will only be met by disapproval of one's peers. It works especially well among sheep who care more about what other people think, despite the fact that logically speaking, it's an obvious ploy by those who own something valuable and don't want it's value to be diminished by an otherwise faithful reproduction. "Uh, my vintage model is objectively better because of minor aesthetic differences and people will think your a fool if you buy it. Fortunately, I like your face, so I'm prepared to offer you my superior vintage model for only a few grand more than that cheesy reproduction."

You will absolutely lose your mind when you see what Ruger (one of 2 other choices in this revolver size) has been doing on their barrels starting only as recently as 1979.

You will absolutely lose your mind when you see what Ruger (one of 2 other choices in this revolver size) has been doing on their barrels starting only as recently as 1979.

Tell us. I can't find anything on Google about "Ruger Barrel Marking."

:confused:

Oh. You must not have picked up a GP100 before.

It's why if you go to google, most factory shots of the GP100 are muzzle pointing right and not the left side or underside.

The left side has 4 lines of a book along with the underside of the barrel.

A lot of folks here claim that people paying top dollars for a vintage Python are stupid and senseless. However, the fact of the matter is, you never lose money owning a vintage Python. You can get one, shoot it and play around with it and as long as you don't abuse it, chances are you are able to sell it for more than what you pay for.

The thing that drove up the interest of the Python was The Walking Dead.

Fact is, it might never be better for Python from here on out since the show ended.

Do the new ones REALLY have a QR code on them?

:eek::mad::(
Yes they do. The picture doesn't show it too well, but it's just in front of the screw.

4Colta_zpskvpl3jvb.jpg

Some people seem to hate it. Just a quirk of modern manufacturing. I'd rather it wasn't there, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

As a shooter, I always disliked the Python, didn’t like shooting it, never wanted one and I still don’t.

But, as an investment, it was probably a good buy when they hit $1,500-2,000. Now I am seeing prices in the $3k range for a “shooter” and higher for collector grade.

Modern machines

HiBC,
Right on the money, excellent post, great analogy.
The Eq. I make my living with has only existed 25 years, "technology" runs the show today.
I've a cool photo on my machine, it was shot in a machine shop in Japan, I sell their products.
It's a rectangular Aluminum bar the top surface is a double complex curve rather like two waves.
Into that top surface is written the manufacturers name.
The Y is 35 microns deep
The O is 30 microns deep
The S is 25 microns deep
The H is 20 microns deep
The I is 15 microns deep
The D is 10 microns deep
The A is 5 microns deep

Imagine writing the CNC program that drove that ball end mill! 50 microns? About the thickness of a hair on your head

To fully appreciate Ricklin's post, a micron is 0.00003937 inch.

Its extremely rare "hand fitting" that could approach what can now come off the machine.

We must remember the "Hand fitted" Westly Richards or Holland and Holland was literally carved from a lump of steel with little more than drills,chisels and files. And extreme skill.
Guns that cost as much as houses.

Essentially the same gun can be produced from advanced machines ,for maybe not much more than the cost of a Lambo, or maybe even a Tesla.
And with the programing done,you could make several. With interchangeable parts.
We have come a ways from the skilled blacksmith and the marvelous work they can do at the anvil.
But between now and some apocolypse, we must appreciate them as Artists.

I take that back. Depends on what you need. Pretty silly to CNC machine horseshoes,or tongs,or the other useful items a blacksmith can produce with little capital equiptment ,scrap steel and pure skill.

Precision

Yes, those great old British bests, many made in the days before interchangeable parts changed manufacturing forever.

I've been in manufacturing a very long time, I love the history of firearms, because the history of firearms is also the history of manufacturing.

Firearms are the first thing a nation-state needs, to either become a bigger one, or defend from the bigger one.

Yep, Rick Grimes in the Walking Dead is what gave the Python renewed interest, in my opinion. The Python always was a beautiful gun but as far I am concerned the Smith and Wesson L Frame was a nail in it's coffin back in the early 80's.

I shot revolvers a lot in combat matches back in the 80's and I always shot Smith's and so did just about everyone else. The Python never seen hardly any use that I remember, because it had an inferior double action, and was very difficult to make as good as the average out of the box Smith. If it had been worth a crap as a combat gun it would have been far more popular then it was in the combat matches. It was more expensive the an L Frame but not nearly as good in my opinion.

Still I wish I had bought a few and put back back in the day.

Essentially the same gun can be produced from advanced machines ,for maybe not much more than the cost of a Lambo, or maybe even a Tesla.

If you're selling a gun made by CNC machinery for "not much more than" the cost of a high $ automobile, I think your gun is grossly overpriced.

Remember that while those fine old handmade "best quality" guns of the past were always very expensive, their value today is a result of MORE than just the fine craftsmanship involved in their manufacture.

They are rare, scarce, valuable antiques, long out of production, and there never were very many to start with. Along with their desirability to many, and the fact that with ammunition can still work as well as they ever did, makes them worth more than an equal quality gun made new today.

Yes, those great old British bests, many made in the days before interchangeable parts changed manufacturing forever.

If they were muzzle loaders, maybe....the days of interchangeable parts in the firearms industry began about 1798 with Eli Whitney. The fact that those "best" gun makers choose to continue hand fitting parts to individual guns for another century+ (in some cases) was their choice, and doesn't change when interchangeable parts changed manufacturing forever.

While the parts may be may, it's the skilled workforce that has to be trained to assemble and time the parts. It is more labor intensive than S&W, Ruger or any other modern revolver (except if Webley were to produce the Mk VI again).

Back