why so many guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys would just love this guy I met at the range. 88+ firearms *after* selling some to help pay for his divorice settlement! Personally I only own three, so I guess they all qualify for the top 4. My SIG P226, however, tops the list.

Gee, this is easy as I only have four firearms! Here they are:

1. Glock 21 (.45 ACP) - I imagine it will be a fun gun for IDPA, might use it for self defense, and, with a .40 Super barrel, hunting. I still haven't taken posession of it yet, but I have paid for it.

2. Winchester Laredo (7mm STW) - My hunting rifle. Perfectly stock, it shoots 1/2 MOA with the right handloads. I'm still replacing the barrel with a Lilja 30" heavy varmit taper barrel and chambering it for the infamous 6.5x70mm Longbow cartridge.

3. Remington 700 ADL (.270 Win.) - nice cheap loaner rifle for occasional nonfirearm-owning relative/friend who wants to go hunting with me.

4. Remington 870 (12 ga) - For all those turkeys roaming about in the middle of the afternoon in south central Texas during deer season.

Grenadier, you ask a reasonable question, and until a relatively short time ago the answer was not clear to me either. Take my response as that of a rank amateur, albeit one who has benefited from a great deal of reading and discussion over the past few months. Most of that benefit is from my friends at TFL.

Why so many guns?
1. They perform different functions. To be frank, when one is ignorant, the differences in any field are not obvious (don't take this as a personal insult - just a fact). To the uninitiated, most cars might seem similar, as well as most boats, fishing lures, insects, guns, etc. Shotguns, rifles and handguns obviously differ. But, within their categories there are many differences as well. Some rifles excel at long range, others for short range work. This discussion can go on and on, so keep reading on TFL and elsewhere. You'll see.

2. Gun control has become a very major factor now. I know people who are actually buying guns for their children. Not to use, as minors, but so they'll have good quality firearms when they grow up. Why? Because the 'clues' are obvious. Many in the anti-self defense movement intend to disarm us. In degrees, perhaps. But their intent is clear. If one believes in the RKBA and is keeping up with the news, how can you have confidence that the firearms you or your descendants may want will be available in the future. You can't have any such confidence. How many guns then? See #1 above. Include magazines, parts, ammunition, etc. in this analysis.

3. For novelty or collection purposes. Perhaps you've kept grandpa's old shotgun for a keepsake. Or, you collect antique single action revolvers. Or maybe you're a Smith & Wesson fan. People do collect firearms for their engineering and aesthetic beauty. Rather like a car collection, but a bit easier to store. They may never even fire many of them.

Folks here can give you more reasons. But, these are the ones that seem clear to me.

Welcome to TFL. Regards from AZ

I'll answer your question but I can't stop with four. To the uninformed, or the media, I would own an "arsenal" and have thousands of rounds of ammo - obviously someone ready to commit all manner of mayhem...NOT!

My favorite (for now) is a Caspian 1911 in 40 caliber that I built myself for IDPA competition.

Next is an STI hi-cap 1911 in 40 caliber (just got it back from my gunsmith) soon to be my primary IDPA gun with the Caspian as a back-up. You don't want to break your best gun at a match 300 miles from home and not have a back-up! I keep at least 1000 rounds of ammo for these two at all times - that's about a 10 week supply if I don't practice (just shoot matches). I try to keep 1500 rounds if I have enough brass.

Next in the 1911 line-up is my Wilson 1996 A2 45ACP with nite eyes - home and personal protection plus cold weather carry. I carry the biggest pistol I can conceal. I also have an officers size carry piece as a back-up in case the Wilson is at the doctor or as my primary in warm weather.

NAA Guardian - pocket pistol for discreet occasions.

Caspian/Wilson 1911 in 22 caliber - practice, practice, practice...

Ruger 10-22T with Fajen Thumbhole stock and 6x24 scope - long range squirrels, turtles, stray cats and Chevy Truck Challenge if I ever get the guts to try.

Custom heavy barreled bolt action 22 - metallic silhouette.

Ruger No.1 in 7mm mag - whitetails or bigger

Ruger Model 77VT in .243 - whitetails and smaller

Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag - turkey, ducks, geese, 3 gun matches

Colt Ar-15 - DCM, 3 gun and varmints other than fur-bearing.

There are more and they all have a purpose. If I don't use 'em, I don't keep 'em.

Is there anybody out ther with just four?

Mikey

Top 4? I'm absolutely flabbergasted!
I could no more pick my top 4 firearms than I could could pick my top 4 hairs on my lil' ole melon-haid (no I don't have a comb-over).

It just never occurred to me that any one would be preferential to another, except in matching to their respectively best suited purposes (e.g. target, varmint, deer, squirrel, quail, dove, and of course, the ubiquitous all-around rationale for rounding out my life insurance portfolio).

Welcome to TFL, Grenadier. Pull up a stump next to the fire, and I'll pour you a steaming mug of some excellent A'cajun chicory coffee. Some other fine folks will be joining us by and by...

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Welcome to the group.

Why do I own so many firearms? i like the looks of most of the firearms on the market, I like to study how they work and wonder at the designs ("Gee, how did he know that that would work?"). I like the workmanship in many of the arms and I just like to shoot them.

1911's = The pistol that just feels "right" in my hands.
Browning P-35 (Hipower) = The first hicap semiauto, it feels almost as good as the 1911 and it has good lines.
Colt Single Action Army = I grew up watching oaters and just have to own one.
S&W M-66 = My issue duty revolver on the department I retired from.

M1 Garand = What can I say. Accurate, battle proven and rugged.
'98 Mauser = See Garand
FN FAL = What the US should have gotten instead of the M-14. 90 countries could not have been wrong, "The World's Right Arm".
Remington 513T .22 = An old design, quiet with standard velocity ammo, just fun to shoot.

L. C. Smith double bbl. = A gift from my Parents. Not shot much now but still a favorite.
'97 Winchester = Another fun gun to shoot and with the 30" barrel it takes bowling pins down pretty good.
Remington 870 = It would be almost un-American NOT to own one.

Besides, if I did not have so many guns how would I get rid of all that ammo?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Top 4?

Remington 700PSSDM .308, for whats way out there.

Springfield SAR48 Israeli FAL HB, for when theres lots of whats way out there.

Bushmaster XM15E2, for when theyre closer.

Glock 21, for when theyre TOO close!

Grenadier-

Saying "hello" can bring varied responses.

I'm going to take your initial question at face value.

Each firearm has performance and aesthetic vitures that represent to its owner an idea of mechanical purpose. I own multiple firearms because my interest range from hunting to collection. Unlike upgrading to a newer PC, which I consider a tool, aquiring a new firearm doesn't neccessarily mean getting rid of the older piece. Sentimental value can be placed on that favorite rifle or pistol and heck even shotguns. [I guess the same can be said for PC's but that's just sick!] For me, weapons like vehicles, represent man's ability to blend form and funtion as an extension of will.

That said, my short list in no particular order:

Winchester Mod 67 - Dad gave it to me when I was 12. Lot's of memories hunting and plinking with it. Helps me remember the past.

Kimber Custom Classic - Wife gave it to me for Chistmas '98. Gunsmith tuned the hell out it last year. Fun gun.

Mauser '98 Sporter - First centfire rifle owned. Some very uncool person stole it. I want it back.

CZ-75 - Great gun except for the failure to extract problems. I had had to get rid of it.

I'll sit down now.

Glock 23
Glock 20
Glock 29
Glock 27
That's for openers. Then there's all the other pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. It's like money and good looks - there's no such thing as too much. Why? Because they were made to be sold and shot a lot and it's fun. It's like climbing Mt Everst - because it's there.

------------------
OJ
NRA LIFE MEMBER

[This message has been edited by OJ (edited August 24, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by OJ (edited August 24, 1999).]

Can't pick just four, but will narrow it to six.

SIG P210
Bren 10
Sako Triace
Browning GP Comp
Hammerli 208S
Colt Ordanance P-12/Commander

Why? Because I like them!

I am amused by this thread, and can only add that I, too, raise my hackles when a stranger asks in an ambiguous manner why so many, and what they are. I assumed, given this forum, that you only meant handguns, but I not that most others did not choose to interpret your post that way. So, my response would be:

1)Colt Gold Cup .45 ACP
2)Remington 700 Sendero SF .300 Win Mag
3)Colt Officers Model Special 6" HB .38 Spl.
4)Remington 1100 12 ga. w/22" Rem Choke bbl.

Funny to see that trend... Not necessarily a conscious one; it just worked out that way...

L.P.

The trend is because "we" see handguns as just a different variation of firearms. The only ones who separate handguns from other firearms are the ones who know little, and the ones who want to legislate and control.
Funny, those two groups in that last sentence are often one in the same.

I have been asked this question more times than I can remember. When people get some idea of the size of my personal collection, I know that this particular inquiry is not far behind.
How I answer usually depends on who is asking, but most of my usual responses have already been covered here.
Without getting into specifics, I have more than 4 guns, but less than 400. My tastes run to the modern, and often politically incorrect types of firearms. I like guns and I like shooting them. I enjoy variety.
A trip to the range for me is a case study in logistics, as the range is not close to home. I don't get to go as often as I would like. So when I pack up my firearms and ammo and head out, I'm usually transporting enough equipment to give Sarah Brady a massive coronary if she ever peeked inside my van. If I ever broke down or got stopped by the police, I have no doubt I would make it onto the evening news.

"Local Businessman: Pillar of the Community, or Depraved, Gun-toting Psychotic"?
"Cops find NRA membership card"!

All I can tell you is that I usually have a good time at the range, and so does anybody that goes with me. If anybody wants to lose sleep over that,.... too bad!

I believe it was Jeff Cooper who said that silly rules lead to silly evasions.

re: distinctions between handguns and long guns. I see no reason to have legal distinctions. A firearm is a firearm. If we trust 18-year-olds to vote (VERY DANGEROUS!!!), we really ought to let them own any and all firearms as well.

Quibbling over "concealability" is like trying to say how many MPG a car "should" deliver to be "legal for just anybody [common citizens] to own & drive." You draw the line somewhere (barrel length, overall length, 18 MPG), and you've now made someone a criminal over a tenth of an inch or going only 17.9 miles on that gallon of gas.

I see little _legal_ difference between a 14-inch barrel single shot handcannon for deer & varmint hunting, and a 30-inch long magazine fed bullpup stock semiauto with a 16.5-inch barrel. They both go bang, they both launch a projectile, and I'd use either to shoot rockchucks that are nibbling on the farmer's grain.

Different moods, different firearms. Though there is a lot of overlap between the functions that the various tools perform, some are more handy for various subtypes of jobs. Just like some of us liked old Volkswagon bugs because they can float better than most cars (and those icy bridges can bring nasty winter surprises), some of us like to have a firearm for sporting purposes which also has operating features useful in dire emergencies.

I own a Ruger P97, 45ACP, and am planning to by a shotgun and a rifle (30-06) for the home and hunting. I only need my handgun for concealed carry and my shotgun for the home. However, I plan on buying more because I like shooting.
The difference between a pro-gun qustion and a anti-gun question is this....

Pro-gun would say, How many do you want.

Anti-gun would say, how many do you need.

A gun is not a need, it is a right and a want.
I don't need a car, I want a car.
I could walk (take much longer)but I choose to use my car.

I don't need a gun, I want a gun.
I could let the cops defend my life (again, take much longer) But I choose to defend myself.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

i must thank everyone thus far for responding. i retract my earlier comments
about defensive comments, i can see now
where i may have went wrong in my questioning. but regardless i am am planning
to use a good number of these responses in
my paper, and i recognize the fact since
it was brought to my attention over an email
that i cannot apply these responses to gun
owners as a whole, so ill use it as a reference with an explaination on where i
got the information. for those of you who
asked i attend the university of maryland,
in baltimore. my other school email addresses
are lhall2@gl.umbc.edu or lhall2@umbc2.umbc.edu(VAX email) feel free
to write there if you wish.

thanks again,

Lee

Hello there, Grenadier. I'll just stick to what I believe is your original request and name the 4 top handguns in my collection (in no particular order, I like all of these equally):

Colt 1991A1 Commander, .45 ACP - Something about a .45 just makes me feel well-protected. Also, a pistol that I am reasonably capable with.

4" Model S&W Model 66 (.357) - Everybody should own a handgun like this; all-weather finish and able to fire loads suitable for everything from squirrels to snakes to small deer. A good defensive weapon as well.

Chinese Tokarev, 7.62X25 - Cheap, fun and easy to shoot, and a little unusual.

6.5" S&W Model 629 - Eventually I'll start hunting with this beast, but for now I just use it for theraputic purposes: paper targets, reactive targets, and pins. If you don't mind quickly destroying pins when you shoot, it's the best bowling pin gun I own.

I work in an industry where hunting and other outdoor sports are considered normal pastimes, and am very lucky to live in a state with relatively good firearm laws. "Why so many guns?" is seldom asked around here.

I'll have to go with, "The best tool for the job" reply above.

My personal goal is to build a representative collection of the important firearms of the 20th century. That's a long list.

Yes, your query did come off as being somewhat accusing, but no harm, no foul.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited August 24, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back