Glock 30
Browning Hi-Power

top 4 revolvers - no order:
S&W 686
Colt Python
FA 454 Casull
S&W 31 (32 S&W Long)

why:
self defense, love to shoot, because I can, because the govt and HCI don't want me to ....

When I hear questions like this, I turn it around and ask:

How many books do you own? Why so many, you can only read one at a time. And besides, why do you need to own a book anyway, can't you just go to the library when you want to read one?

How many pants do you own? You only wear one pair at a time, why do you need so many?

How many pairs of shoes do you own?
How many shirts?
How many forks and spoons and knives are in your kitchen?
How many drinking glasses or coffee cups do you own?

The answers to my return questions can apply to your question. How many, if any, is not important. I do not need to justify what or how many firearms I own no more than I need to justify how many pairs or what kind of pants I own. Slacks, jeans, shorts, my choice. I do not need to answer the question, nor will I.

Lotsa ways to look at this, but if you use a tool analogy (and guns are tools), then it's a question of the right tool for the job. Just as you wouldn't limit yourself to just a hammer (because when all you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail), you choose different guns for different tasks, e.g. hunting, target shooting, self defense, fighting a war. Furthermore, there is a wide latitude in each category, depending on what you hunt, the type of target, what you're defending agianst, etc., just as there are many types of hammers, from tack, to sledge, to pile driver.

Then you could get into brands - Ford/Chevy/Chrysler or Colt/Ruger/S&W. It's just human nature, and variety is the spice of life. Just like sailing, where for every sailor there's a boat, here you'll find that for every shooter, there's a gun.

But, hey, stick around and feel free to indulge your curiousity. Like most enthusiasts, we like to share our knowledge and interests and we're a pretty friendly bunch. We're flattered when someone asks an honest question and is willing to listen with an open mind. Guns are kinda controversial these days, and we welcome the opportunity to tell our side of the story.

Welcome to TFL, M2

Oh, yeah, to answer your question*:

USP45C - 'cuz ever'one ought to have at least one big bore

SIG 226/9mm - hi-cap combat pistol with above average accuracy, reliability, and a silky trigger

SIG 239/9mm - all the traditional SIG virtues in a discrete pkg

S&W M60 .357 - my first wheel gun. Small, powerful, and a real 'kick' to shoot with full house magnums

(*List subject to change w/o notice, I love all my 'babies')
Why so many? Beyond a basic belief in self defense & RKBA, it's a hobby/recreation.

[This message has been edited by Mike in VA (edited August 23, 1999).]

1911 pattern .45 (I built it)
Colt Trooper (old style, Volquartsen customized)
New Model Blackhawk/Bisley hybrid
22/45 (also Volquartsen customized)

Why?!? Because I can.... Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Get yourself a shotgun (mossberg)
and at least one pistol. We live
in a violent world , its up to
you to protect yourself. It is
truly survival of the fittest
and or the smartest!

------------------
"Al-vida-zane"

first off my question was not intended to
offend. yet it seems to me it did,
i like guns i believe in the second amendment, and im not trying to stir your
sh*t. but some of you people are pretty
damn defensive. a little "on edge" as you
say. regardless i thank the number of people
who gave thought out answers. for a little
background to my question, im a policy science grad student and im writing a paper
on gun control from the side of a gun
enthusiast. i just wanted to know why
the average gun owner owns more then one gun.
and why they tend to buy another gun after that first "self defense" gun.

again i am sorry for any misunderstanding,

Lee

Grenadier--

Welcome to TFL. It's a good place to visit. 'Hope you'll stay a while.

FWIW, instead of "why so many guns?" I'd say "why not?" Politicians and the media notwithstanding, there's nothing that makes guns inherently less worthy of acquisition by the ordinary citizen than any other artifact. Therefore the same interests and motivations that govern the accumulation of other consumer goods and/or collector's items may apply to guns. For instance: historical association, aesthetic appreciation, collection development, family tradition, inheritance, investment, and sporting purpose. Some motivations that seem to apply especially to guns include: love of democracy (along with the belief that civilian gun ownership is a safeguard of democracy), free exercise of Constitutional prerogative, acceptance of responsibility for protecting self and loved ones (to be well defended may require more than one gun).

As for my top four, that's a tough question. These are possibilities, in no particular order:

Glock 26--reliable, durable, low-maintenance pistol for everyday licensed concealed carry.

S&W Model 10--an old favorite for no special reason other than because it is (of course, no greater reason is necessary).

Beretta 92FS--a contemporary standard.

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless--a John Browning classic, made and finished the old way.

I hope this helps some.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited August 24, 1999).]

Grenadier:

It's a situation thing. I have a couple of competition handguns that I could not carry in public (even if it were legal!). They are not suited to the task. They have electronic optics (read battery powered with on/off switches) and would take too long to deploy if I had to defend myself.

Now during competition, the opposite is true. My standard concealed carry firearm would not be as accurate as my competition guns and has a smaller capacity magazine.

As posted above, when you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Just as every task requires analysis, selecting the right weapon for the situation is a large part of success.

DblTap

People are usually shocked if they find out how many guns I own (6 handguns), at a relatively young age (early 20's). I usually hear stuff like "crazy", "you trying to start a gang", etc. First, what difference does it make if I have 1 or 2 instead of 6 or more. If I have one, then I can still be considered "dangerous" (which I know I'm not, but that goes into the subject of pro vs anti gun). Second, I love handguns, not only because they are what I would ultimately rely on to save my (or a loved one's) life, but because the gun is a mechanical work of art to me, and different guns have different designs. I appreciate a good design when I see one. Guess you can kinda call me a collector. To me, the Glock is the ultimate combat pistol, but that does not mean I do not appreciate other fine guns like SIG, Beretta, etc.
Some people collect many swords, some collect rocks, fish, stamps, and in Jay Leno's case, cars even. Do these people need all these things? Maybe, maybe not. Do they find a different personal desire with each one? Most likely, yes. Same with guns, in my opinion. If I entered a war, or was a victim to home invasion, I would most likely only use one or two of my handguns (for myself). But I buy different guns because some are nice for the range, some look nice, some are classy, some can be customized, etc.

I started out with a single shot .410 as a kid, then I needed a bigger gun so I got an 870 12 gauge for pheasants and doves. Then as a teenager, I decided that I needed a .22 for shooting rabbits, so I got a .22 rifle. When I moved out on my own, I decided that I wanted a handgun for home defense, then I bought a .40 S&W. Then I needed a .22 pistol so I could afford to actually shoot a pistol, so I got a buckmark. Then there was all of that talk about banning assault rifles so I went and bought a Bushmaster Dissipator. When I got married, my wife liked to shoot clay pigeons with me, but my 870 was too long and heavy, now we have a 20 guage Mossberg in the house. She has decided that she needs a pistol of her own, so we will be getting her one. I have decided that I want a concealed weapon, so theres another. Oh, and there is the Remington 7600 and Winchester 30-30 for deer.
With all this said, somewhere between the .22 and the Bushmaster, I became a gun nut. I originally owned firearms for various reasons, like tools, but over time I have just come to enjoy them.
In the future there are more guns... I just don't know what they are for yet. Most likely they won't be for any particular purpose. Just to make me happy I guess.

I own more than 1 or 2 because it is a hobby that I enjoy. Sometimes I enjoy shooting a 22, other times I want to shoot something with power. For me, anyway it's largely a hobby, not for self defense. The state of MA is finicky about CCWs and my permit is one of those which carries an implied restriction for target & hunting not for self defense carry.

I have sold guns that I wish I hadn't so this is a tough question as to which are the four best.

#1 USP45(my latest buy)
#2 USP40C
#3 Glock 23
#4 S&W 19(oldest gun I own, ~25 years old)

The only rifle I own is a Marlin 60 .22. If money were not an obstacle I would probably own a .223 or .308 or maybe both!

I wish I had never sold my Browning Hi Power 9mm with 3 Hi-Caps, nor my S&W 29 6".

I wasn't offended or defensive, just stating a philosophical point of view. Scroll/jump over to the legal forum here and find the thread I started on CCW and the 2nd amendment, it should answer part of your question.

Policy Science? Hmmm, okay.

From my point of view, gun control is a wrong focus, a bad focus, a blind focus. It does not focus on what the stated intent of gun control is - to reduce crime, and it hides some ulterior motives of some who promote gun control - disarmament of private civilians. Now if you really want to start your discussion from that point, then jump into the legal/political forum and start discussing. No anger or discomfort from me, just stating my view that if you want to talk gun control then you've already compromised on crime control and already made or accepted some concessions. Think about it before you reply, crime comes before gun control. With control you lose freedom and become subject to others judgement. Are you in control, or are you subjegating your choice and freedom?

The number of firearms a person owns has nothing whatsoever to do with what they intend to do with those firearms. If someone feels a need to control, they they have assumed guilty intent on the party they wish to control. Do you have a speed governor on your car or motorcycle? If not then why don't you drive 100mph? The same resoning that you use to answer the speeding question can be used in firearm regulations. Again, think about it.

As to why "they tend to buy another gun after that first self defense gun", well, that's a moot question and has nothing to do with nothing except a predetermined need to control as dictated by someone who wants to be in control of another person. (I think that sentence sort of makes sense. :) )

I take you back to my original reply, why do you need more than one fork? My question is not so rediculous. (Even though my spelling may be atrocious.)

If you are trying to argue against gun control, then you have already lost the debate by implying existing law is not sufficient to control criminals or criminal intent. The only way to be crime free is via totalitarian control, and yet even within a prison system governed by totalitarian control of the inmates there is still crime between inmates, still murders, still theft, still rape, still assault. If you want total freedom from crime, then first make a prison crime-free, and then see if you would want to live by those guidelines in your personal life.

Freedom has risk. I do not have criminal intent, therefore the number or types of firearms I may or may not own is totally irrelevant.

And note, this is not typed in anger. I just do not like defending an encroached border. If you want to argue your argument, perhaps you should redefine your borders from that of a gun owner, and toward that of a free man or woman who does not have criminal intent. Gun ownership is irrelevant when arguing gun control. CONTROL is the real argument, how much and by whom.

Think about it.

Grenadier ,

Don't take the hostilites
personally. Its the nature of the
beast. It happens alot. Either
you ignore or you challenge.
People are always going to fight
on these boards , I enjoy it way
too much. Sad to say but I do.
Take it easy baby.

------------------
"Al-vida-zane"

For paranoia's sake, why are so many people intersted in what i drive, what guns I own, and others? From now on, as a matter of principle, I'm not going to give specifics. :)

my top four have various peurposes. two are defensive handguns. One is large, more in mind for "winter" carry/home defense, the other is smaller version, for "summer" carry. I guess my next gun is a "hunting" weapon, it has a scope, and is high powered. The forth, it's a great design, fun to shoot, and can be used in national competiton, which I hope to do some day.

From those reasons I hope you can see why more than one. As for the other guns I own, I like collecting "interesting" pieces, specifically with historical or political significance. The next reason would be for fun at the range.

hope that helps with your paper. By the way, where are you going to school?

Shucks! I only own two firearms and only one is a handgun. A SW642 and a NEF 12ga. I do have access to 12 more (but only one pistol) owned by relatives (sister-in-law's daddy used to be gunshop owner).

Grenadier,

To answer your question, my husband and I currently own three handguns: 2 SIGs (P228-9mm and P245-.45 ACP) and a Springfield Ultra-Compact V10 .45ACP. We had a Mossberg 12ga. (model 590). We plan on getting another one, as well as a Moss 20ga. for myself. Why? For home defense. We live in a high-crime area. Plus, we like to shoot shotguns.

The 228 and Springfield are my guns: The .45 I will carry for defensive purposes mostly (as soon as I get my lovely state-issued license). The 228, well it was my first gun, and I cherish it. I like shooting .45, it's a hoot! If we had the money, we'd have tons more guns (GASP we're stockpiling :))!

As bk40 so eloquently put it: WHY? Because we can, because we love freedom, we love to shoot, we will protect our own, and also, I must admit, to spite the government. (We decided to buy our shotgun earlier than we had planned last fall, cuz in November 98, a waiting period was to be implemented for the purchase of long-guns).

Welcome to TFL BTW, hope you stick around, we really are a bunch'a nice folks, who love freedom and RKBA.

TTFN!

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
-------------------------
je suis prest

AK-47 Because the government doesn't want me to and this scares me. I also like the looks and features of the rifle
AR-15 Ditto
2 SKS's-A few years ago they were cheap so why not

Mini-14 the first gun I bought on my own with military features

Ruger M-77 .243 Hunting/first gun

Ranger .22LR Was my grandpa's

Makarov .380ACP first pistol

Ruger p-90 everyone needs a large caliber handgun

Colt pocket nine-concealed carry

Several; Shotguns clays, shooting BG's, ect

I too get a little bit of a raised eyebrow when people who do not know my find out about my gun collection as I am only 24 and in College. Every gun I have bought and paid for myself and it is what I like to to, if the gov tries to take this away from me then, well I won't get into that.

Later
Daren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back