Why should I get a Police Positive in .32 sw long?

This thread has gone so long I have lost track of some of it. At least I didn't post the link earlier and then forget about doing it! :-)

"At least I didn't post the link earlier and then forget about doing it! :-)"

I've NEVER done that... nope, never!

*cough!* *cough!*

No wonder I was confused in the beginning!LOL

I don't think the seller ever sold that gun, so come in the future if I happed on some cash, I will recontact him again...

Mike Irwin....

Your gun is NOT marked Pocket Positive, so it is NOT a Pocket Positive.

I know. It is clearly marked COLT NEW POLICE .32

And then I found this interesting article:

Antique Arms

Snippet:
The New Pocket followed the introduction of Colt's first large frame Double Action revolvers known as the Model 1889 Navy and Model 1892 New Army Navy. These were the first Colts with a swing-out cylinder (with most of these early ones going to the US Navy and US Army)...a design concept that is still found today on all modern day double action revolvers. The New Pocket was scaled down from .38 Colt to .32 Colt and was Colt's first pocket model using this design. The New Pocket was made from 1893-1905 with 30,000 units produced. The gun was well ahead of its time both mechanically and stylistically. Most casual observers would never guess this revolver was designed and produced during the early half of the 1890's. In fact, a slightly elongated version based on the New Pocket frame became known as the Colt New Police revolver. Teddy Roosevelt, a NYC Police Commissioner was so impressed that he ordered just over 5,000 New Police Models for his officers, becoming the first standardized service revolver of the NYPD.

It's just things like this that make me confused. Oh I KNOW for SURE it isn't the New Police Model. Why on earth would I even think it would be. :D

So you really think, with full confidence, that the gun in my possession is a Colt New Pocket? If so, that is very cool indeed and makes me VERY happy. It sure is a smooth little operator. ;)

Thanks for the info....again! :p

~ Jazz

To add to Mike's 7:13 AM post, here is a Gun Digest article that discusses both the New Pocket and the Pocket Positive revolvers:

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/classics_coltsnubbie

I have a 1910 Pocket Positive and the article really helped me understand what I have.

Hi Will and thanks for the link. Good article! I had seen the link before but when you read a lot of things and don't know exactly what you are looking for a lot of it doesn't make sense to you. Not the first time or sometimes even the second time. This time was different. I know enough now to understand most of it. Now here is a snippet I find interesting:

The New Pocket Revolver came in blued or nickel finish with hard rubber stocks and a 2 1/2-, 3 1/2-, 5- or 6-inch barrel. It was Colt’s smallest revolver but not its only concealable snubbie, if you wanted to stretch the term a bit.

I read this and got my tape measure out. The barrel on my Colt New Pocket is 2 3/4". Do they strictly adhere to the sizes specified above? I mean, could it be it was supposed to be 2 1/2 and they made it 2 3/4 instead?

My head is spinning. I feel like the girl in the Exorcist! :eek:

LMAO! Thanks for the info! :D

~ Jazz

Driftwood....

The New Pocket Model was produced from 1893 until 1905, there were approximately 30,000 produced. Serial numbers started at 1 and went up to about 30,000. In 1905 Colt began producing the Pocket Positive. Serial numbers started where the New Pocket model serial numbers left off, somewhere around 30,000, and about 130,000 were produced.

Hiya Driftwood....yeah my SN falls into that under 30,000 bracket and is located on the butt end of the handle. :cool:

Thanks so much for your offer to help!

~ Jazz :)

Mike Irwin...

You have New Pocket revolver. It is very clearly a New Pocket. I've repeatedly said that, so have others.

I get it! I finally get it! I have a New Pocket revolver! YIPPEE KI YAYYYYY!!! I love it!

I am not either hardheaded! I'm just blonde! :D

Thanks again very much for all your hard work convincing me! LOL!

~ Jazz :)

"I know. It is clearly marked COLT NEW POLICE .32"

And, once again, that designates the CARTRIDGE for which the gun is chambered. It does not designate the model of the gun.

"The barrel on my Colt New Pocket is 2 3/4"."

Are you measuring only the visible portion of the barrel?

Or are you also measuring the portion of the barrel that screws into the frame?

My guess is that your gun has 2 3/4" of barrel showing past the frame, but with the barrel extension that is screwed into the frame the whole barrel length adds up to 3 1/2 inches.

OK, I just learned something very interesting from that Antique Arms, Inc., website description...

The gun there is a very low serial number in the 900 range...

And one of the markings on the gun is...

"...while the side of the frame has the Rampant Colt with a circular logo around it that reads "COLT'S NEW POCKET"."

That's the first I've ever heard of Colt marking the model name around the Rampant Colt.

And holy crap, it looks like that was a standard marking throughout at least a portion of the New Pocket's run...

Driftwood? Care to weigh in here? When did Colt STOP putting the New Pocket Model logo around the Rampant Colt?

And here's another New Pocket oddity from Antique Arms...

A Colt New Pocket with S&W stamped as part of the cartridge designation.

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/colt-...sson-caliber-rare-nickel-pearl-grips-guns.htm

Finally, didn't J. Edgar Hoover carry a Colt Pocket Positive in .32 Long Colt?

Mike Irwin:
"The barrel on my Colt New Pocket is 2 3/4"."

Are you measuring only the visible portion of the barrel?

Or are you also measuring the portion of the barrel that screws into the frame?

My guess is that your gun has 2 3/4" of barrel showing past the frame, but with the barrel extension that is screwed into the frame the whole barrel length adds up to 3 1/2 inches.

You were correct. I was measuring it wrong. Thanks once again!

:)

Hey Driftwood....

Will you PLEASE tell them that you are not certain my gun is a New Pocket either and I'm not the only one who is confused?

I need redemption. LOL

:D

Thanks!

~ Jazz :p

Back