Why oh Why do I want this?

I'm another who likes everything except the price. Beautiful piece of work, but I can't justify that expense for a gun just for grins. It would be a very big grin, though.

In casa. In case a tiger jumps on the elephant with you.
"...a real howdah pistol in 20 gauge..." A real Howdah isn't in any gauge. They were cut down rifles chambered in .577 Snider. Pedersoli makes 20 gaugers because the ammo is easier to get.
"...Can't think of much practical purpose..." A big kid's toy does not require a purpose. It's purpose is "I want one." Doesn't the ATF think they're evil though?

I think they should offer it with double triggers, too. Or a different model with double triggers. One of the big selling points of the English double rifles was two triggers (two separate, independent lockworks) meaning at least one shot was almost certain as it was extremely rare for both locks to fail at the same time. Something rather important when one is a month's travel on foot away from someone who can send the gun to a gunsmith.

If course, making it a proper double gun like a double rifle would make it even more expensive. Not needed for a range toy or even a useful field gun, but if you need the most dependable thing possible, (possible, not practical ;)) going that route is money well spent, I think.

Howdah pistols are for repelling boarders (arrh!;)) armed with fang and claw, or at worst knives and swords. This was simply not something that happened in the US old west. Those attacking the stagecoach were generally armed with ranged weapons, guns, usually.

In regard to our resident Canadian "expert." :rolleyes:
Howdah pistols were made in both rifled and smooth bore versions.
They were made, usually, on custom order.

That's the first .410 chambered pistol that I actually want.

"They are neat guns, but retail pricing is $1400."

And... now I don't.

You do not buy this for practicality. Thus, a Judge does not compare. However, starting a debate about the Judge is not our intention in this thread.

It is just to reveal in buying a 'just because' or fun gun.

Pedersoli’s has made a percussion .58 cal. and a 20 ga. version of this gun for a while now. I'd like to have the 20 ga. version but only with a bead for a sight.

Glenn said:
You do not buy this for practicality. Thus, a Judge does not compare. However, starting a debate about the Judge is not our intention in this thread.

It is just to reveal in buying a 'just because' or fun gun.

Great point Glen, a lot of people have different views but in my opinion, much like an AR15 pistol, nothing practical about a handheld shotgun. Still very cool, although not sure if it's $1400 cool. Most likely would gather a small crowd at the range that's for sure I know I would ask nicely to shoot a couple rounds. I'd never even heard of the Ithaca Auto & Burglar before reading this thread. I was always a big Ithaca fan back in the day.

Mike Irwin said:
That's the first .410 chambered pistol that I actually want.

Do people even but .410 shotguns any more, not sure what you would even use one for other than small squirrels. Don't think I've shot one for 25 years or so. :)

I live in Europe. By European standards I live in one of the more permissive countries re firearms ownership. I have lived in the least so.

All the same, there are challenges and limitations: a fair degree of red-tape, high costs and legal limits on this and that.

So, if you can afford it, I say take full advantage of the flexibility where you live and buy the gun if you like it. Over here it's a lucky day if I can buy a gun without having to sell another first!!

Kind of ridiculous really. They've got guns that are 1/4 the size and weight that do the same thing.

The original Ithaca Auto Burglars were in 20 gauge. THAT would be cool to have. But in .410? No thanks.

Bill, the grip angle and design in your picture post #17 just looks wrong to me. Is there a purpose or reason that I cannot think of except to shoot at a steep down angle like mounted on a horse or elephant and shooting at something at very close range?

The grip angle is actually quite comfortable and points well.
It's designed to keep the gun from rising during recoil. This serves 2 purposes:
It keeps your hand from sliding up the action and running the web under the opening lever. It also keeps the muzzles safely DOWN if recoil accidentally makes you touch off barrel#2.
The grip angle is about the same as the NID version of the Ithaca Auto Burglar.
The original Flues model A/B had a spur on the grip like the .410 version here, to serve the same purposes.

Cutting a shoulder stock down to the pistol grip looks cheesy and can be dangerous.

Attachments

• auto_burglar.jpg
    auto_burglar.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 31
Do people even but .410 shotguns any more, not sure what you would even use one for other than small squirrels. Don't think I've shot one for 25 years or so.

In the last 4 years have bought 5 shotguns in 410 bore. A remington imported 22/410 O/U, 2 H&R single shots and 2 mossberg bolts. I also made up my own 410 reloader. I found the 410 to be a much better round than the internet experts wanted me to believe. I load lead shot and .395 diameter round balls. I had so much fun with it I bought the .395 mold to cast my own round balls.

I would much rather have this than that goofy Taurus Judge. At least this looks really cool. And if Pedersoli is making a 20ga BP version that might be even better.

Back