Why No .22 Rimfire Interest?

There are lots of threads covering .22 firearms. Search on the revolver forum for 617 or on the rifle forum Model 60 for example and you get lots of hits.

Or conversely the op can start a thread on the subject in any relevant forum.

Franken.

I come back for all the good discussions. I dont buy into the bump stock mentality, but; I think that is a vocal minority. And even if not, I want to hear those opinions. There is a lot of good technical information and experiences. And, I enjoy the chance to share my views and experience. I am not so much interested in a yes-man forum where everyone thinks the same.

There are a lot of young enthusiast who may benefit from a variety of views. And to repeat myself, I want to read all views. The shooting community is a big tent. My interests cover a large area as well. I have had quite a few spirited debates at my club as well as here. I even had my point of vies changed on occasion. I am not a politician, I can do that.

I do not carry .22LR for self-defense; therefore, I do not shoot one. Not wanting to shoot a .22 is not cause I don't believe a .22 as being manly (I have personally met people who have done serious damage with a .22LR). It is just simple, shooting a .22LR is just a waste of my time.

When I practice it is with 9mm, .40, .44 mag or rifle cals.

I sold off almost all my centerfires for 22lr.
much more fun in my opinion.
Of course I goton a piece of heavy equipment at work a week or two ago and someone said "don't you love the power of that thing," and I said, "It's not an Abrams or anything." I didn't feel any more powerful than if riding a Vespa.

It is really convenient for all my range toys to shoot the same ammo.

I have as much fun with 22lr as anything I can shoulder.

Centerfire rifle
$200 NFA stamp + $500 + 1 year wait + 30 cents per round = a rifle that sounds like a 22lr.

Rimfire rifle
Five cents per round = a rifle that sounds like a 22lr because it is.

I don't know about "macho" or "tactical" but I like .22 rimfire just fine. However, I like it for the same reasons that I like a good pellet gun. It is reasonably fun and relatively inexpensive for target-shooting, plinking, or small game. It's just that there are so many other cartridges that can overlap with those activities and also better handle bigger animals, including for defensive purposes. I think those purposes generate a lot of interest and have a lot of different topics attached to them.

I'm on a lot of forums - a boat related forum is gonna have it's tone with certain boats, a fishing forum will have it's tone with certain types of fishing (even within a ballpark of something like powerboats or salt water fishing)..

This place favors other things maybe. I'm not sure though a .22 really teaches you a whole lot. If anything I pickup bad habits from very light weapons that have no recoil, then when I change back over it takes me a bit to adjust again. I learn more the other way - run a heavier weapon of larger caliber then step down and you control the smaller weapon with ease.

Myself if I own anything though I'll own a .22, if the zombies came tomorrow and I had to leave my home and I could only pack 1 gun it'd probably be a .22 - I can carry 1000 rounds of that for the weight of something like 200 rounds of 5.56. And self defense-wise, sure you aren't going to knock an opponent out of the way with a .22 but they can certainly take down a human, small game that makes for good eats, and are more than a capable hooligan deterrent if need be.

I don't know about "macho" or "tactical" but I like .22 rimfire just fine. However, I like it for the same reasons that I like a good pellet gun. It is reasonably fun and relatively inexpensive for target-shooting, plinking, or small game. It's just that there are so many other cartridges that can overlap with those activities and also better handle bigger animals, including for defensive purposes. I think those purposes generate a lot of interest and have a lot of different topics attached to them.
Just saw your post - yep like a pellet gun on steroids. I have a .22 springer actually, which I regularly shoot off my deck - can take down a racoon in my driveway at midnight if I want, all without spooking the neighbors or breaking any laws.

I think the .22 Drought of '08 to Whenever had a lot to do with it. I know that I basically quit shooting .22 during that time. I bought .22 ammo here and there for years. To be honest, I'd almost forgotten how much fun .22s are.Just recently, .22 has been back on the shelves here in quantity, and I was able to buy a case of it at a decent price. I've taken a .22 of some kind on three of my last three range trips, and it puts a smile on my face every time.

I own 14 rimfire guns, 3 are rifles and rest are pistols. There is already 3 or 4 more I want within the next year. Rimfire is so cheap to shoot!

Has everyone who frequents this web-site forsaken their .22 rimfire firearms for center-fire? Help me understand, or at least "tell me to get lost".

I for one won't tell you to get lost! Seems like most of the really dedicated 22 pistol shooters I know are much more into target shooting rather than combat shooting. At the range I frequent most often I rarely see anyone fire a centerfire handgun at more than 7 yards with the exception of handgun hunters.

While I also enjoy defensive pistol shooting I probably get a lot more satisfaction of shooting a nice 25 or 50 yard target with a 22lr.

I shot small bore all through high school and college. I use to work for the Boy Scouts, where I taught the rifle merit badge. A lot.

The next time I want to shoot a .22 LR firearm is if my sister asks me to teach her kid how to shoot.

I've been searching in vain the last 2 weeks for the case I transport my Ruger MkII in. I wouldn't care so much except it contains all 4 of my magazines for that gun, and it has seemingly been swallowed by a black hole. I'm beginning to think it's gone for good somehow and I'll have to buy new mags. :(

I've been searching in vain the last 2 weeks for the case I transport my Ruger MkII in. I wouldn't care so much except it contains all 4 of my magazines for that gun, and it has seemingly been swallowed by a black hole. I'm beginning to think it's gone for good somehow and I'll have to buy new mags. :(
Look at it on the bright side - you could tell your wife the mags are lost therefore it makes more sense to buy a new gun.

That's a bummer.

I wish Ruger still sold those things ... the MK IV comes with a snazzy cardboard box!

I have quite a few RF pistols, revolvers and rifles. I began buying large amounts of 22 ammo long before the shortage as in several decades before. I always have and still do grab a box or two or whatever at every opportunity, always have. Of course one outing can burn through quite a bit. I have a lot of 22 ammo. I do not sell it though I did give some away in the heart of the shortage to needy friends or trade.

I think the shortage and subsequent greedy gouging or vice versa did some harm to the 22 fan club and hurt interest in the round perhaps permanently. But 22 will be here until the end of time or the next geologic age, I have no doubt that it will remain very popular and contrary to many, I find it a useful and fun round.

3C

Has everyone who frequents this web-site forsaken their .22 rimfire firearms for center-fire?

Nope..... The shortage is over, so I shoot as much or more .22lr as any other caliber (though the cost differential has closed up quite a bit) .... I shoot lots of .22lr ..... I also breathe, eat and poop every day ..... yet don't feel compelled to discuss the play by play of these mundane activities with all of you fine folk......

.22s are not manly, nor are they tactical, therefore beneath notice of we Hard Duty Operators (TM).

Ummmmm ......nope gotta disagree about "manly" ( all practical guns are "manly" because ..... it's a GUN! and there ARE practical applications for the .22lr) .... and there are tactical applications for the .22lr, particularly when suppressed....and I suspect that 99.9% of professed "Hard Duty Operators"are only honestly earnestly operating a keyboard.......

..... and upon reflection, the "manly" thing? The Pinnacle of Manliness is in fact being an Admirable Father to your Children. You won't truly know you've won those Laurels until you see your Children teaching your Grandchildren the lessons you taught them. "It takes a Man to be a Dad." That said, the vast majority of my Very Best Days with my kids almost always included, in one form or another, the .22lr cartridge.

Back