Why Don't Pump Action Rifles Get Any Love?

Pumps are a natural for getting back on target quickly. Pull pump toward you on recoil to eject and as you push the pump forward to reload you also tend to naturally bring the barrel back down to get back on target quickly.

I understand why the military went with bolts but I do like pumps

I seriously looked at those and semi auto when I was looking for a hunting rifle.

I went with bolt eventually but the night in the swamp cleaning a moose I sure wished I had one of those. Pretty puckered up at any noise that night.

Bear took a moose kill away from a hunter a couple miles away that night (we heard it on the radio chatter the next am)

backs against a creek with no good way out.

I like Win 06, Win 62A, and Win 61 pump rifles.

Attachments

• 19.5 pound male Colt Lightning 1-6-2014.jpg
    19.5 pound male Colt Lightning 1-6-2014.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 33
FNG here. A recent gun raffle win rekindled the gunfire inside me. I believe it was a "nudge" from the afterlife from my late Father.

Back on topic. I have a 35 Cal Remington model 141 gamemaster, manufactured in 1946. It was my father's and his father's before him. What a great gun! I do not currently hunt, but when I did, it was with that rifle that I bagged my 1st and only buck and did it with one shot. I was probably 14 at the time. I'm in PA and have heard that this gun Is/was popular in the Northeast.

I have to agree with the accuracy comments. Back when live turkey shoots were legal, you should have seen some of those old boys with their .270 and 30.06 pumps. I think a pump rifle probably "Points" better for most people when shooting off hand. I never was fond of them for hunting because of the length. When I was a kid I started with a very short single shot 12 gage. I saved up for a used pump and finally got one. I never even finished the first year hunting with it. The action was long and made the gun unwieldy in heavy brush. Seems every gun has its pros and cons.

I personally like my dad's old 742 semiautomatic and I believe that it makes a sweet handling open sight short range rifle just as their pump does. The stock is just bad for me, when I have it fitted to my face, it takes a lot of wiggling to get my cheek down to that sight line. The factory sights are about a half inch too low. My dad used a scope, I would use a dot for short range and a scope for long.

Just like a good shotgun, that thing points naturally. I once speint a few hours practicing shouldering it, and I was making shots at 100 yards into eight inch targets with ease.

Pump action shotguns are the most commonly bought types of shotguns,

Depends. They sell a lot because they are cheap, no other reason. They are jacks of all trades and masters of none...............but they are cheap to buy. A little more to it when you have a rifle and accuracy needs.

Back when we bought rifles that looked nice and did their job well, a pump action 30'06 was great.

Ammo was standardized to 30'06 and 308 win in every hardware store and gas station...$8 for 20 Rem Core Lokt 180 gr

You carried a rifle with a std 3-9 or 4x scope.

You practiced with it about 4 times per year.

A rifle was meant to shoot 0-300 yd game, knowing you might be off 25 to 50 yds guessing the 3rd football field away.

A trigger that pulled and was safe was good enough. It was on you to learn it, when it would break, where the sights go when it did, how to pull it.

Then enter the equipment race.....now if you aren't equipped with a sniper rifle, 3+ lb optic, black or camo paint, maybe a suppressor, you don't have enough gun. Add to that the 30'06 apparently is too weak to kill deer....at a mile. The core Lokt Bullet and it's type blow up....when driven at 3500+ fps!

Not to mention $300 boots, $50,000 trucks, $100 slings, $10 craft beers, etc.....yea, if you don't have all that and a ranch in Wyoming, you better just play Cabelas deer hunter on play station 16!

Yea, at 43, I'm learning that my uncle with his pump 30'06, 4x Weaver K4, $50 hunting boots, carbon steel knife and old jeans was outfitted just fine to kill all the deer the law allows on public land!

Nathan, I couldn't agree with you more. At the age of 37, I find myself to be a bit old fashioned and somewhat nostalgic for a simpler time when I didn't even exist. I have far more interest in the classics that have stood the test of time and little interest in the new fangled firearms of today. Many of those advances make sense to me on the battlefield, but seem to only soften the very fabric of our being.........but, I'm getting off topic

Beware, you must possess above average intelligence to appreciate or gracefully operate a modern pump.

They make single shots for the lower quartile.

I have a 5.56/.223 Remington 7615 like this one for when NJ outlaws post-ban semiauto black rifles.

It is a spectacular gun

It looks like this:

19088741_2.jpg

19088741_7.jpg

Bushmaster1313,
Unless you have permission from icollector.com and the seller, you should remove those photos from your post and provide links instead. Without permission to use the photos in a 'hotlink', doing so violates TFL's copyright rules and the rights of the images' owner(s).

Back