Why does penetration matter?

Dub,

I think that tipoc has the right perspective:

It is not a common occurrence but is also not a myth or a made up concern.

There is no way to predict when it will happen. Given the right conditions and with enough people in the immediate vicinity, it can happen. Ball ammo produces tremendous penetration: .25ACP can go 14-18 inches; .380 can go 22-25 inches; 9mm can go 28-34 inches; .40S&W can go 25-33 inches; .45ACP can go 26-32 inches. Depending upon how people are positioned relative to the bullet's path and their size, one and perhaps as many as three could be struck by some of the deeper penetrating FMJs.

The statistics from the NYPD's SOP-9 are real evidence that it can and does happen.

I think penetration depends on the manufacturer's name that is printed on the handgun. If it says Smith &Wesson or Glock it penetrates plenty. If the gun has Taurus written on it, there isn't enough penetration.

Law enforcment, in general, are probably better equipped to use more discretion when firing their weapon. I doubt there are stats for bad guys who fire indiscriminately. Just anecdotal, but bigger concern I have about "overpenetration" is the frequent reports of innocent people being struck through a wall while in their home from gunfire on the street. The same concern I would have for home defense when loved ones are on the other side of a couple pieces of drywall. I'm sure there are also no real words stats on how many times bad guys are hit with good shots that didn't pentrate far enough to stop an attack because they were using hollow points or fragmenting ammo. Again no official stats, but I can't help believe that there are more unintended targets killed or injured from bullets passing through walls, objects, or people than criminals who proceed with an attack because the bullet did not penetrate far enough.

video

There is a pretty convincing video on You Tube of a lecture, apparently given to LE and EMS personnel by a trauma surgeon. The lecture is complete with x-rays, showing various slugs that did not get to vital organs and vessels, and the suspect survived (with treatment).

Granted, there is not much discussion on "stops" v. lethality, v. survivability, but it is a pretty telling piece advocating sufficient penetration. Wish I could tell you the title , but I can't, and have not seen it in a while.

Its caused me to rethink handgun ammo, particularly in the midrange calibers.

Back