Why do people spend $300+ on a pellet rifle?

Found a picture of my Sheridan with the 5D-SH installed.
John, am I correct in assuming that sight is simply screwed on the left side of the bolt, where there is now, on my Blue Streak, a plate with two screws? If so, I guess mine is pre-drilled accept the new sight. Haven't talked to Williams yet.

The screwholes for mounting the sight are on the right side of the receiver--opposite the plate. If the holes aren't there, your gun isn't pre-drilled for the receiver sight.

Here's a picture of a Sheridan that is pre-drilled.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...11/12/30/263865_02_sheridan_air_rifle_640.jpg

Here's one that's not.

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/405612/9299670/af157cca7d81c9ee104b457f1c6cf2e5.jpg

If it's not pre-drilled and you're close to Williams, they may handle it for you--probably worth asking them.

Pellet rifles offer excellent marksmanship training at a very, very low price vs. the cost of rimfire/centerfire ammunition. While they don't produce the recoil or noise of a centerfire rifle, they still develop things like stance, sight picture, breathing, etc. etc. very well. Airguns also aren't quite as loud as a rimfire rifle in most cases, though some can be fairly noisy. It all depends.

People who are buying the more expensive airguns probably just want a high quality and accurate rifle because they already shoot airguns and know how fun they can be!

I bought a $500 air rifle for practice and mental conditioning. I bought it because the stock and the aperture sights make shooting it accurately easier.

Since I cannot locate 22 long rifle ammunition consistently, the PCP pellet rifle was a natural choice. I find that I shoot it more often than I thought I would. The cost of ammunition is de minimis.

I have a cpl thousand pellets in .177 & .22. Should be close to a lifetime supply. May pick up another 500 ea. just to make sure though. Most are pointed & HP. Buy GOOD lubricated pellets. A Beemans cleaning kit is a good one time investment too. Especially for spring piston type. It comes with felt cleaning pellets and spring & chamber oils. Be sure not to mix up non flammable chamber oil with spring oil or you will get combustion and could damage something. It will also sound like a rim fire

Sooo. Who wants to race me to Wallmart to clean out the pellet display?

Please don't! That's how the run on .22 ammo started. Buy pellets if you need them but don't buy them just because you can.
Once people see empty shelves, then they buy them just because they can and a self fulfilling shortage ensues, along with conspiracy theories and stupid rumors that feed the buying frenzy further.

Please don't! That's how the run on .22 ammo started. Buy pellets if you need them but don't buy them just because you can.
Once people see empty shelves, then they buy them just because they can and a self fulfilling shortage ensues, along with conspiracy theories and stupid rumors that feed the buying frenzy further.

Heh, use pyaramidair.com's buy 4 get 1 free and just combine shipping with targets, pellgun oil, etc, to make the cost lower. You can buy 5k of pellets really cheap that way...

No keeding ;D

Jimro

For those of you that have a very nice pellet rifle, can you tell me why you're spending $300+ on a pellet rifle when you can get a very nice 22LR rifle for the same $?

Because sometimes things need to die quietly and with plausible dependability.

There was an airgun article recently that addressed pest control and the safety factor of using an airgun vs rimfire in an urban/suburban environment.

A diabolo pellet is only dangerous for a couple hundred yards at best. Whereas a rimfire is dangerous within a mile or more. A pellet bounced off an object loses its energy quickly. A roundnose rimfire bullet not so much.

Parents would not let us shot firearms in the basement

I grew up with very cold winters where the windchill could be below -60 F. Mom had a strict policy of no firearms being discharged in the house. You know how over-protective some mothers can be.;) So we had to settle for pellet guns in the back room.:mad:

My dad may of let us shoot 22's there but mom definitely would not and we had some sisters who liked to tattle as well as a younger brother (momma's boy). So we saved our pennies and got the best pump we could (a crossman). But when we grew older we wanted something better so I got a RWS 52. Still have it as well as another RWS I purchased years later.

It taught marksmanship skills at a young age and we learned the right way to handle weapons. My mom was happy when I aced shooter safety which included some adults. I got an award for having the only perfect score and moms like to think their kids are the best and will do things right.

Later in bootcamp I shot a 234 out of 250. I was asked about going to sniper school with another guy from our platoon. I had a guaranteed contract for avionics and he was guaranteed to be a grunt. He said yes I said no. I scored in the top 99% on the ASVAB and knew sniping was cool but had poor career prospects. He already had poor career prospects so he said yes. Being a grunt is respected but it does offer less civilian transferability.

So if you like to shoot indoors at home in the winter it is hard to beat a air rifle or pistol and can be a good way to teach and practice shooting skills and safety. It also does not draw the local constable when shooting outdoors in urban areas.

Last edited:
Pete, sounds like you had a fun childhood( except for the -60 windchills) and a pretty cool dad too.
From the time I was about 6 till 12 years old, it was hard to find me without a air rifle or pistol in my hand. Good memories!

Yeah, I miss the carefree days with my pellet gun and sling shot. I wish more kids could have those memories but in many areas now I believe they may come down hard on kids with pellet guns. The libs want to weaken the future pro gun voting block. Get em out early and make it fun, America's future depends on that.

Back