Why do people spend $300+ on a pellet rifle?

For those of you that have a very nice pellet rifle, can you tell me why you're spending $300+ on a pellet rifle when you can get a very nice 22LR rifle for the same $?
1. Target/Practice shooting in areas where powder burners are not allowed.
2. Small game hunting in areas where powder burners are not allowed.
3. The price of pellets, even expensive ones, is much less than 22 rimfire ammo.
4. No shortage of pellets
5. They're FUN!

You can't go wrong with RWS in any model. I bought one about 20 years ago for $200. 1100fps. A model 60 I think?? Nice wood stock, blueing, two stage trigger & very accurate. I would strongly suggest a single pump in whatever you get. Last year a bought a Steoger X20 with suppressor & scope in 22cal. for $160. Not as nice of finish as the RWS, but still a good , but economical rifle. 900fps
While you're at it...get a beemans cleaning kit & Stock up on pellets too. jic.

Last edited:
Because they are awesome. 300$ is a pretty low end one. I can buy 10k of pretty awesome ammo for a couple hundred bucks too so its cheap shooting.

One word.... starlings :-)

Beeman R1 .22 makes just one ragged hole from 45 ft. with a Leupold 3 x 9 adjustable objective and a rest.

I started out with a benjamin silver streak on MAC1 steroids. But they are not real conducive for scopes. It sort a gets in the way of pumping. I tried a scope but gave up on that. I have williams peep sight on it but I don't see so well anymore. So hitting a target as small as starling at about 45 feet was a struggle. But I still like my silver streak for bigger targets because it packs a wallop and doesn't recoil like the spring piston R1.

Can't use a .22 rim fire ...or better even better yet a shotgun ...where I live in greater suburbia.

But get me out in the country I'll leave my R1 at home and fire away at those pesky flying rats with my shotgun. That's the only wing shooting opportunity I have.

Pcps seem to be pretty expensive to get started and maintain, $400-$500 for the rifle, another $300-400 for the tank.p, then refills. I got this right? is there something else that can keep 1-1.5 inches at 50yds, quietly and be =< then $300? How about that daisy jimro recommended?

Pcps seem to be pretty expensive to get started and maintain, $400-$500 for the rifle, another $300-400 for the tank.p, then refills. I got this right? is there something else that can keep 1-1.5 inches at 50yds, quietly and be =< then $300? How about that daisy jimro recommended?

The Daisy 853 I mentioned is a 10 meter competition rifle. If you want a 50 yard rifle that shoots tight you really need to go to a 22 caliber air rifle, and for that I would recommend a Crosman Maurader. Once again it is a PCP, but is fine for hunting.

I fill my PCP Challenger with a Hill Hand Pump. It is expensive, but there are cheaper hand pumps out there. With a Maurader you will get fewer shots per full tank.

If you don't mind learning the "artillery hold" to get best accuracy from a springer, there are a number of break barrel springers that fit the bill, including Stoeger, RWS, Gamo.

Jimro

I prefer side-cocking springs or pcp air rifles. I haven't had good luck with long term reliability in break barrel airguns. Anyhow, my dad's RWS mdl 48 .22 is awesome even with the crappy factory sights. With it's favorite pellets I can hit a 1" spinner every time (laying prone) from 30 yards. It's much more challenging standing. I hate shooting standing without a sling.

This thread, along with a few more, make me wonder if TFL should add an air gun forum to the board. That, along with what seems like a lot of recent interest due to the shortage of ammo for powder burners. Especially 22 rimfire.:D

There's nothing wrong with a break-barrel springer. The can be "hold-sensitive" but once you have them dialed and are familiar with how they recoil they can be plenty accurate. I have a Beeman C-1 that shoots way better than it should.

And yeah, and Airguns sub-forum would be a great idea.

There's nothing wrong with a break-barrel springer. The can be "hold-sensitive" but once you have them dialed and are familiar with how they recoil they can be plenty accurate. I have a Beeman C-1 that shoots way better than it should.

And yeah, and Airguns sub-forum would be a great idea.

I don't disagree that they are, or can be, accurate. My experience has been that things get loose and wear out faster on break barrels than on side-cocked or pcp air guns. I had a similar Beeman break-barrel that was good for a while but it eventually developed problems with barrel droop and had some accuracy issues later on, as well. I wasn't disappointed for $100, though. I would be disappointed if things like that happened on a Weierauch or RWS break-barrel.

You can check out Pyramyd Air's article on: Scope shift and barrel droop

http:www.pyramydair.com/article/Scope_shift_and_barrel_droop.../46

I like my recoiless side lever cocker --- RWS Model 54 --- because I can cock & load the rifle while it's resting on the bench, sitting atop my pedestal rest and bag; while the barrel's muzzle is pointed downrange at the backstop of our range. It is also very quiet as well, with an amazing lack of recoil vibration.

Last edited:
Can a felon own an air rifle?
How many cities ban shooting an air rifle?
Is an air rifle cheaper to shoot than a center-fire? (I figure I can pump and cast with almost no material loss).

The high powered air rifles aren't quiet.

Can a felon own an air rifle?
How many cities ban shooting an air rifle?
Is an air rifle cheaper to shoot than a center-fire? (I figure I can pump and cast with almost no material loss).

The high powered air rifles aren't quiet.

Yes, air rifles are not considered firearms.
I don't know. Check your local city as it should be the one that matters to you.
An air rifle is much cheaper to shoot than a centerfire, plinking grade pellets can be had for 2 to 3 cents per, premium grade competition pellets 8 to 15 cents per shot.

The high powered air rifles are much much quieter than an equivalent centerfire or rimfire of the same caliber, with the possible exception of a 25 ACP if shot through a rifle.

Jimro

Jimro said:
The high powered air rifles are much much quieter than an equivalent centerfire or rimfire of the same caliber, with the possible exception of a 25 ACP if shot through a rifle.

I dunno, I'll put CCI Quiet-22®, 710 fps, shot out of a long barrel .22 rifle up against most air rifles in quietness. Mostly I just hear the hammer click and then the bullet smacks the target. If you shoot in your back yard, the bullet trap will make the most noise.
That's if you can actually obtain this ammo during these crazy times.

Another quiet backyard plinking round is a .22 Hornet case primer only, no powder, with a .22 air rifle pellet seated in the neck. This is good for about 350-400 fps with CCI small rifle primers and Crossman .22 Copperhead pellets. It's about as loud as dry firing the gun.

Last edited:
Premium H&N wadcutters..177 pellets are $9.95 for 300.

My Beeman C-1 cost $135 back in 1988 as a "blem", so about the same investment as a 10/22. I've shot thousands of rounds though it while camping. No issues with the zero shifting at all over those 25+ years. I've had a Beeman SS-3 scope on it for while. Now it has a Williams receiver sight with no insert for a ghost ring effect. My C-1 isn't super quiet, but then again it has a 13" barrel. If you want to try something interesting, shoot a springer with hearing protection on- "Choinnng".

.22 CB Longs used to be my favorite, but they've gone up significantly in cost over the last 20 years. Right now CCI .22 CB Longs are about $8.99 for 100.

Some other great airgun deals- I bought a Beeman Hurricane back in 1983 and have shot untold tens of thousands of rounds through it. I'd probably rate it as my best shooting investment ever. It's definitely time for some new springs and seals, but that's easy work.

I picked up three Predom Lucznik's (a Walter LP-53 copy) from Century for $75.00 total, shipped. They shoot great, and are surprisingly well made for Eastern Block stuff.

I dunno, I'll put CCI Quiet-22®, 710 fps, shot out of a long barrel .22 rifle up against most air rifles in quietness. Mostly I just hear the hammer click and then the bullet smacks the target. If you shoot in your back yard, the bullet trap will make the most noise.
That's if you can actually obtain this ammo during these crazy times.

Quiet-22 is rated at 68 decibels to the shooters ear, but most of the sound energy is directed away from the shooter, out the muzzle. The trigger "click" being much closer to the ear will sound louder.

A Gamo Whisper will be 60 decibels 5 feet in front of the muzzle, but the trigger mechanism itself will register 85 decibles, which is about the same as opening a can of soda in terms of "click" sound.

Jimro

Back