Why conceal carry?

This questions comes up every now and then. Half the time, I suspect it's a posting from an anti. I carry because I've worked hard to stay alive in my 53 years, have the people I care about in my life, and have the things I have. Pretty simple. ;)

My advice to those who do not carry. Go get comfortable with your firearm(s). Get some training. Do it sooner rather than later because life is damn short. Do it because you really don't want to wait until you need a gun on your hip and you don't have it there.

What is it that made you decide to concealed carry?

Because with a cellphone, wallet, and a gun you can solve nearly any problem that you will ever encounter while going about your daily business.

In my world, both based on where I live and how I live, one plans on taking care of him or herself and his or her family. Further I would never ask someone to do something I am unwilling to do.

Since I would ask an officer to use deadly force in my defense I am, from that view, obligated to be morally prepared to do so myself. Around here police response will not be measured in minutes... If one is to depend on it faced with a serious threat they might as well call the coroner or ambulance.

I started carrying as a kid, fishing in Arkansas among cottonmouths. Later in HS my parents were separated, I lived with my father in Oregon, and visited my mother every summer on a motorcycle. That was in the early 60s and people (LE) didnt seemed to care. I remember getting stopped a couple times and the COP held my revolver while he checked to see if I was a run-a-way or something.

Of course when I got into LE, I had too. Still do.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent to the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson Letter to Peter Carr 1785.

I do it for protection against bad people and wildlife. There are people in every society who chose to hurt and kill others regardless of law or consequences, and I'd prefer not to be one of their victims. We have a natural right to self defense, and a firearm is the best method for doing so.

I also carry because I'm an active outdoorsman, and there are always issues with rabid wildlife, especially in the rural area I live in.

CCW

I carry because I can.

Thankfully my home state has no reservations as regards CC permits and makes the application process a very simple and painless process.

All CC holders should practice with their CCW often; drawing from the holster in which they carry their CCW.

Bear in mind that "mouse guns" have a limited range. Practice at ever longer distances to understand how your CCW hits the target.

After spending many hours of the aforementioned, I changed my CCW to a larger, more accurate weapon.

Just some thoughts.

No CCW here-New Jersey. No different than carrying a first aid kit or safety equipment in the car, having a fire extinguisher at home, spare tubes, tools, a pump and patch kit on the bicycle. I was an Eagle Scout-BE PREPARED !

I live in the relatively safe sticks. However, my friends and I ride motorcycles and we normally ride where there are few people and very little law enforcement. We ride in southern WV, eastern KY, western NC and SW Virginia. Eastern KY and southern WV has ben devastated by closures of coal mines and the folks there are desperate and some turn to crime. We carry because of the danger of robbery. I used to lead the group with my concealed carry and a Vietnam Special Forces open carried in the rear. However, my Special Forces friend died a few months ago from cancer the contracted due to agent orange in Vietnam and protection is not up to me alone. Our group is usually 3 to 6 in number and our age range from 67 to 82.

I used to ride a bicycle A LOT, and I thought that carrying a firearm with me on my bike made a lot of sense, so, that's when I decided to get a permit. It's been over ten years since I got my permit and now I refuse to leave my house without a firearm. The city I live in is becoming a toilet and is regularly on one of those lists about the most dangerous cities in the US. I have had five attempted break-ins in the last seven years and have people approaching me for money all of the time and feel it's only a matter of time before one of them becomes violent when I tell them "no". On the upside, my situational awareness skills have increased dramatically.

I should also add that in 15 years of working in the prison system I know what type of individuals live and breathe among us.

I work in a pawn shop, so, I know what you mean.:D

Last edited:
On which side of the counter are speaking?

Well, I'm on the register side, but I understand where you're coming from. We've had our share of shops closed down by law enforcement around here.

I'm in law enforcement, soon to retire. Now, and later I will carry because I am the only one responsible for my safety and that of my family. It's no different than making sure the fire extinguishers are charged and inspected, the tires on my vehicle are inflated correctly and in good condition and windshield wipers are in good shape.

I say this just to underscore that carrying a gun is just one of many components of self reliance, preparedness, and prevention.

You can either rely upon yourself or be dependent on others for your well being. Your choice.

I use to live in a state that getting a CCW was next to impossible. I moved to a state that has conceal carry without a permit or with one.(Idaho has a rule that if you conceal in a car you need a CCW) Carrying makes me be more aware of my surroundings. I feel free for the first time a long time.

One thing that I've noticed with myself and at least a few of my friends is that it is like wearing clothes. You don't care at first. When you start wearing clothes you feel more secure. After that, you feel naked without them.

For me it's a couple of different reasons:

1. Living in Ohio, in the winter time it can be very difficult to open carry with wearing jackets/coats and sweatshirts and such. If your firearm even accidentally becomes covered by an article of clothing, and you don't have a CHL, you just committed a felony if caught by police. With a CHL, I don't have to worry about that.

2. I don't want everyone to know I'm armed. I live in Cuyahoga County, in the city of Cleveland. I'm surrounded by democrats/liberals. I don't need someone deciding that in line at the grocery store or standing at the fuel pump is the right time to lecture me on why they feel I shouldn't be allowed to be armed with a gun. I don't need some idiot calling the cops saying that I'm walking around the neighborhood waving a gun when I walk my dog (that has happened in my neighborhood before).

3. In Ohio you need a CHL to carry a loaded gun inside your vehicle. I carry going to and from work.

I've thought about it a good bit and talked with others. Like Florida where Concealed is mandated, I think it was to conceal the gun so it wouldn't scare the Tourists from NJ, so to speak. Another though was maybe so soe people wouldn't be inclined to carry at all, because concealed, inside the waist band is not comfortable, and if warm and humid, problems with rust and soggy leather.
Still other places mandate open carry, so all the world will know you are armed, and cross the street or LEO might approach with gun in hand.
Open carry is easiest and might deter some criminals, however some have learned to jump you from behind and take the gun. A good reason for a snap on the holster, and hand on that side to always be free.
I really have no clue as to the thought off those regulating how a gun is carried other than they want to encumber the Carrier in their own way.
Otherwise it would be concealed or open.

Back