Why carry a snubbie anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Another magnum revolver.

Nothing wrong with that, but avoid magnum rounds in a 2" or 2 1/2" barrel -- the barrel is too short, and a lot of the powder hasn't fully ignited by the time the bullet leaves the barrel. You get an abnormally bright flash. If you're trying to shoot a night, you've probably lost your ability to make a sighted second shot, as the flash will practically wipe out night vision.

A plus + .38 spl in a .357 revolver makes a lot of sense: more punch than a .38 spl (and nearly as much as a .357 in a 2" barrel.

On the DPS test for a TX CHL, I once shot
a 245 or so, just for practice. Max is
250. I've also done Code Eagle
indoors simulations with my 642. It
was fine for the job.

While, I like to carry a Glock, the snubbie
is a fine gun for those TX inferno days.

Practice and also try a simunitions run
besides IDPA.

Walt Sherrill,

Sorry to have sounded so argumentative and anti-IDPA (and like an *sshole) :(. It came off badly. And was uncalled for. I think that IDPA is the best self-defence practice game out there.

I have a long way to go to being what I would consider competent with my j-frame. My left hand and night shooting skills are rather poor. I achieve hits right handed in the daylight out to around 8 yds, but they are not tight groups :o. And I start missing after 8 yds :(. I've been working on getting it out (I usually carry Mexican because I carried my Glock that way) and emptying it into the target fast. I literally get them all over the upper half of the target. But they are on the target at least :).

I need to pratice much more shooting from sitting/lying positions, offhand, and low light.

Full size 1911 only baby!!! Two World Wars and a few "police actions," good enough for me!

------------------
Gun control started the Revolutionary War!..."itcta alea est"

Here is reason to carry a snubbie,
at least as a backup.

You are a police officer teaming up with
a vampire to stop a demon. Said demon
throws you and the vampire into a cellar
and locks the door. You have lost your
service semi (a Sig). You draw a 642 from
an ankle holster and shoot out the lock
and pursue the demon. Later the flaming
demon is put down for good with one shot from
the snubbie.

Oh, wait - that was an episode of Angel -
the spin off from Buffy. Never Mind.

glenn

I consider snubbies as "panic guns." They're forgiving of poor shooting form. When you need it, you just point the gun and pull the trigger. It won't jam if you limp wrist it, and if it fails to fire, you just pull the trigger again. Snubbies are made to order for dealing with spontaneous threats.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

For the record, I own, and have carried, an S&W 640. My thoughts here are based on the notion that people are carrying snubbies as a primary or only gun, not as backup.

While there are many valid opinions here (and mine is to me, if no one else!). I see some glaring contradictions, though. My thoughts are after quoted passages in italics]

"JMHO...snubbies work for me in certain conditions...just don't carry one if you expect trouble!"

Hmmm. Just how many people who actually get into trouble anticipated it? And if they did, why didn’t they bring a long gun, or go somewhere else!

from Walt Sherrill:
"....I decided to try my Rossi... It was an eye opener. Under the pressure of shooting in a simulated combat situation...I didn't have a clue where the bullet was going. ...There's a lot of folks here making big bets on their snubbies. Have you all really tried shooting them in ways that might simulate a real-life crisis. It might be a good thing to try....Can a snub-nosed gun be shot well: accurately and rapidly? I sure it can be done, but I think it'll happen only after a lot more practice than most people are willing to put in. In the meantime -- if you haven't tested your gun (and yourself) in these types of drills, you may be in for a rude surprise.”

BINGO! After shooting IDPA matches all year with my Glock 22 and 1911 and doing quite well at times, I shot a backup gun match with my G27. I was shocked! I couldn’t hit the side of a barn, by comparison. I suspect my performance would have been much worse with my 640. Much. If I were going to make it my primary carry gun, it would have to be the one I shoot in practice/matches first and foremost. Otherwise, you’ll never develop the extra proficiency. One disclaimer: I haven’t replaced the stock sights on my G27, and they are crap. I shot a G27 with Heinie sights the same day, repeating some stages. HUGE difference. Replace those crappy stock Glock sights 1st thing, everyone.

I see some contrary logic from some. For those of you who carry a snubbie primarily because revolvers are more reliable than semis (which if well chosen and maintained, are very reliable), you are betting in favor of Mr. Murphy... that something will go wrong with an auto. Then, you justify carrying a snubbie because even though it has bad sights, a short sight radius, is only .38spl, and has only 5 shots— you probably won’t need it. In other words, you’re betting that something WON’T go wrong. Does anyone else see the irony here? Since I believe that you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best, I’ll carry a semi, with as long a sight radius as possible, good sights, and an extra mag, the majority of the time. And hope I won’t need it. I may compromise and carry a lightweight polymer or alloy framed gun.

from Prichard:
“Games are games. IDPA is very much a game. No cross draw, no shoulder holster...It's all theory. I avoid such situations like the plague...After that I get slower and miss a couple of times when I'm in a hurry. ...I can also carry the SW642 much more easily than my old Glock 17 w/ 18rds....I believe in point shooting, so I must be full of sh*t .”

Some people “game” IDPA, and many don’t. I shoot full-power .45acp loads from a full size 1911, concealed. I shoot IDPA as training for the real world. In the real world, I’d probably carry something slightly smaller... no less than 4” barrel mostly. The “no cross draw etc” in IDPA is for safety reasons, to avoid onlookers/RO’s being swept by the muzzle on draws. What you choose to practice with and carry off the range is your decision, and if you pick an alternative method, you’re crazy not to practice with it until proficient. I’m sorry to see you dismiss IDPA so readily. By avoiding IDPA and other scenarios, you dismiss it out of hand and miss out on a good learning experience. Of course nothing can simulate real combat. IDPA/IPSC shooting absolutely does develop muscle memory, proficiency under pressure, competent weapons handling, malfunction clearing skills etc. Plus, you get to see how people better than you do it.. a valuable lesson. And it’s just fun.

Of course you can carry the 642 more easily than the G17, but isn’t that two extremes? What about a G19 or 26, or a Kahr? Smaller, but still with more firepower than the 642, and a WHOLE lot easier to shoot accurately.

Point shooting? If I’m at 3-10 feet from a BG with a knife, I’m going to sidestep, and point shoot. That’s a no-brainer. I have yet to see someone outshoot others using their sights, by point shooting at distances over 5 yards. No way. It’s a bad habit to develop.... not using your sights unless you have no choice but to NOT use them. Beyond 8 yards you get slower and miss a few times? That can get you DEAD, when the bad guy is spraying and praying (if bad guys pray). I can make fast head shots at 15 yard with my 1911. Most important... what if yo have to make a shot to save your arse or someone else’s, beyond 15 yards? You’re behind cover, can’t get closer and can’t back up. I want a gun I can hit something with at 25 yards. Your accuracy will absolutely degrade in combat, so if it’s high to begin with, it will be average. If it’s only average with your snub, when the fan turns brown, good luck hitting anything, ‘cause that’s just what you’ll need.

I love my 640 (I sold my Airweight thought. TOO light and unpleasant to shoot... too much of a compromise), have special holsters for it, anticipate carrying it, and understand it’s valuable place in my armory. BUT- I’ll always make myself justify carrying it, so I don’t do it out of laziness, convenience, or expediency. I’ll have to make that call... do the benefits outweight the risks? As far as other fullsize wheelguns, I love them too, but I’ll do the same process in deciding. IMVHO

Flame on!

PS, Prichard: I read your latest posts after writing this. I understand better what you’re saying, but still disagree in general. That’s what makes the world go ‘round, right? cheers.

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited October 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited October 15, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back