Why carry a snubbie anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bull

With the advent of fine compact guns like the Glock 26/27 and many others, why would anyone carry a snubbie revolver anymore? Why carry a heavier, lower capacity, less powerful gun that is very slow to reload? Even the 9mm blows away the .38 special out of compact guns and one can always choose a .40 if that is not enough.

Just a question...

Greetings. While I prefer semis for most everything, my routine carry gun is an S&W M042 in .38 Spec. I agree that the 9mm is more potent, but for convenience in pocket carry, the little J frame is hard to beat, especially with its weight (cylinder and ammo) more forward than the auto's. It does not try to "up end" itself in the pocket as I've had some autos do, even in pocket holsters! The little J-frame just works for me. When I wear a belt gun however, it's something more substantial and a semi. Best.

Youve never seen the Colt Magnum Carry?

6 rounds of FULL HOUSE .357 Magnum... I am not fan of wheelguns - but looking at them honestly - you cant question that one. And there are other roundguns out there like that one...

So as the old saying goes - If you have to ask - I can't tell you...

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I usually carry my snub in ankle holster as a back to may primary weapon. Why/ see the following:

1. If I should run my primary dry
2. If I need to arm another individual who is not familiar with automatics.
3. Because, like CPR, I am prepared for the worst.
3. Revolvers are ususally lighter and more forgiving as backups, in my expereience.

I carry a M36 Chiefs Special because I had one before the G26/27 came out. I've fired the G27 and liked it alot, but it's thicker than a j-frame snubbie and won't sit in a pocket as inconspicuously. As a CCW licensee in Florida, small and discreet is a must since I can't wear heavy concealing outerwear. I often carry my .38 in a Kramer pocket holster. Front trouser pocket carry has to be one of the least conspicuous but best ways to carry.

All I can say is that snubbies are here to stay! I own several hanguns, including glocks, 1911's, as well as smaller autos like the colt mustang pocketlite. I can honestly say I have carried them all and by far the easiest gun to carry all the time and conceal well is my new smith & wesson titanium model 342. Weighing in at 11.3 oz unloaded, it is lighter than most auto's, even my .380 pocketlite. And as others have said before, it is much more convienient to carry in a pocket holster. Sure, if I were to KNOW that I was about to engage in a firefight, I would want my glock 22 with several extra high cap mags. For that matter, I would want a full auto ak 47. But who is actually going to carry one around all the time? For everyday carry, its hard to beat a good snubby. Also, if you carry extra ammo, a bianchi speed strip with 5 rounds in it is far easier to carry than an extra mag for a glock. I carry my snub in my right front pocket, speed strip in my left. It works for me.

You just can't reliably shoot an auto from a coat pocket (although you should get one off).
Carriers who are not enthusiasts like wheels-they can easily determine if the gun is unloaded.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Why carry a snubbie over a mini 9 or 40? I'll try just to add my own reasons.

Since the weight is farther forward, they carry better in a holster or a pocket. Hammerless or concealed hammer snubs can be fired through a coat pocket multiple times w/o jamming. (Even though they may set your clothes on fire) Snubs easily handle specialty ammo (i.e., Glasers, Magsafe, Shotloads). Some of us olde fartes just flat out shoot better with them (I myself have yet to master the trigger of a Glock).

For a number of years, my sole carry gun was a Ruger security-six .357 with a 2.75" barrel a rounded butt, and rendered DAO with a bobbed hammer. It was stolen 18 months ago by some scumbag...I miss it terribly.

Its o-dark thirty and i need to go down to the old corner stop&rob. I just drop my taurus snubby in the pocket and go, My snubby is a 41 mag.five shooter,and i don`t feel out gunned at all.

Don't get me wrong...my first choice for a self-defense handgun is a semi-auto.

Someone else here already hit on it...in hot weather, they (snubbies) just seem easier to carry, especially IWB under a polo shirt.

My 442 slips into trouser or jacket pockets quite nicely.

The grips on a snubbie, although small, seem to fit my hands better than those on the smaller semis. I do not care for that "...last two fingers fitting UNDER the mag floorplate feel..." that so many of the small semis exibit. Yeah, I know you can get a mag extension to hold on to, but by doing so you've compromised concealability.

JMHO...snubbies work for me in certain conditions...just don't carry one if you expect trouble!

Mike

Lame excuse, but because I never bought myself a Model 26/27 or 29/30 when I had the money.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Cause the Glock 26/27 aren't POCKET guns. My stubby can fit easily in a good sized pocket. When I find a 9mm that conceals as well as a stubby, I might change, but until then... (well, mabe the MK9)

REVOLVER vs. SEMI-AUTO

1. The Revolver

Never wanted to find myself in the nightmare situation of having to shoot with a gun that turned a nightmare into a disaster by having a bad stoppage day.

Never heard of anyone who carries a revolver having an auto as a backup, know of hundreds who distrust their primary auto sufficiently to have a revolver as backup.

Like to have a gun that I can stick in some assailants ribs and keep pulling the trigger till he lets go.

Like to be able to shoot from pockets.

Lower price for us poor folks.

Easier to clean for us lazy folks.

Never needs an extractor tune, feed ramp polish, slide de-burring etc etc

Doesn't worry about the quality or price of replacement magazines.

Safer, no make that much much safer.

My wife can shoot it without looking at all the knobs and switches for 2 minutes and then exclaiming "is this the safety honey ?" (points at slide release)

Frank Cannon and Kojak had one and never lost a shoot out.

2. The Semi-Auto

Opposite of 1. above

------------------
Mike H

Why should it be a question of one or the other? Realoader seems to be the only one to mention carring two guns. When I carry I usually carry two. My usual primary weapon is a variation of a 1911. Either a Commander or Officer's ACP. Sometimes it's a G-19 depending on what the weather/clothing dictates. My back-up is a Detective Special altered to fire DAO w/ a bobbed hammer. If I need to impliment a back-up and my strong arm is injured, or am forced to engage the threat in an unusual position I feel more confident with a revolver then a pistol. If I'm resorting to a second arm the situation is probably degenerating badly and six sure shots of 38+P feels better to me when I'm trying to extract. I can't induce a malfunction by limp-wristing if I am unable to lock my arm steady enough if I'm injured.

P.S. The Colt Magnum Carry is next on my list.

For those wanting to buy a Colt Magnum Carry,

I submit the following, as an owner of a DS-II, its immediate predecessor.

One month after purchase, the mainspring breaks.

Two months after I bought it (a year and a half ago), the firing pin breaks.

Colt sends it back after many months, only this time, it is badly out of time.

I get a local to fix it, and all seems well, but the G-d Damned thing keeps breaking trigger springs every 100 or so rounds.

I also have a Python and Gold Cup that are less than stellar, and, in fact, have only owned one good Colt out of four purchased, including top of the line models.

I will note that the last spring I got from Colt was very strong and thick, so, perhaps, it won't sheer off one of the tabs (V shaped spring)

Allow me to suggest an accesory for all you snubbie shooters out there that I have come to love. A set of Eagle Secret Service grips in checkered rosewood. These grips are minimalist but the palm swells give a great feel. The checkered rosewood gives a non-slip surface but won't stick to fabric like rubber will. I've owned two snubbies so far and each had a set of Eagle grips. They cost about $40 and are well worth the price. A word of caution to any of you Ti gun owners out there. They do nothing to dampen recoil and the backstrap is exposed. If you shoot the Taurus .41 Ti you might do better to stay with the factory rubber grips.

I shot a Colt Magnum Carry. Crap! I left with a bleeding trigger finger. I had three cuts to my trigger finger. Not accurate , a couple problems trying to cycle the cylinder by firing in SA. Big , heavy on & on. Stick to the Smith J-frames or the Taurus revolvers.
Try www.clipdraw.com on the J-frames.

dkbd1_sm.gif

Anybody in there????

As an old revolver shooter I never thought I would see the day that I didn't have a J Frame Smith around. Well, I don't carry snub nose revolvers anymore. I have a Pocket Nine and a G27. The pocket nine is easier to conceal than any revolver I ever had and the G27 works great under a garment. I guess I am in the minority...don't have a need for the snubbie and don't miss it a bit.

My "J" frame was my first pistol. It is true
that their are more powerful and sexier pistols out their but it is still my sentimental favorite. As another poster said it is a great gun to have when you just need to run out late to the local stop&rob.
She has never failed to fire and she is just so darn concealable. She can't fire +p ;oads but the Fiocchi ammo I use is so loud it'd scare you to death. Yeah, I have 9's and 40's
but my Chief Special will always be my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back