Why aren't you a member of the NRA?

Tooltimey. I love people who don't let reality get in the way of what they believe.

Me too. That's why I'll never join the NRA. There's a certian morbid amusement in the fact that so many are willing to turn a blind eye to the guns bans passed under the NRA watch.
The NRA has supported Gun Control time and again. It has also been said many times over that the 2nd is about sports. Funny how that word is not found in the 2nd yet the NRA thnks that is what it's about.

Where was the NRA in 34? Okay they weren't a lobby until the 70s

If such is the case where where they when "new manufacture" mahcine guns were banned? Where where they when the Brady Law was passed. Where were they when the now defunct AWB was passed. They have failed over and over. I choiose not to give me hard earned money to an organiazation with a history of failure on it core reason(supposedly) for being.

As for the NRA being the best we have. That is saying a live vest in the North Alantic is better drowning.

You though I'm can to accept the fact that Wayne Lapierre could come out tomorrow opn national TV and say 'I hate guns" and the die hards would still find a way to rationalize it.

The NRA started loosing my support when they endorsed Bush. The same person who vowed to renew the AWB. Okay so Bush was just playing his cards. In which the NRA endorsed a liar and they still don't have my support.

I'm not going to respond directly to those who like to personally attack people and use gutter tactics to smear those they disagree with. Have a merry Christmas anyway, even though my opinion angers you so much

Why would you think anybody is angry? There is a large portion of the people in power who don't own guns and can see some logic in if the kid didn't have the gun he couldn't have shot the people in the mall. There is a tipping point somewhere. So far, the NRA has successfully preserved most of our ability to buy guns. They didn't do it by demanding the right to buy guns in the mail, machine guns, etc. You are preaching to the choir on this forum. The NRA has to deal with the others.

Then why are guns harder to get then at any time in the past?

I can buy anything I want in the morning if it's in town. Otherwise, I'll have it shipped to the FFL down the street for $20. Big deal.

The NRA is controlled by the membership. If you think they need to be more militant, well, so do I. But I can vote for NRA directors 'cause I'm a member; I wish all you militant folks would join, too, and then we could have nothing but strict constructionist and original intent folks on the board. Maybe, if you feel the NRA is so far off track, you could run for the board; I'd probably even vote for you.
The excuses are pathetic.
Wayne Lapierre called the ATF "jack-booted thugs"--and got reamed for it at the time, now he's getting reamed for being too nice. I think it's called being effective. Say what you will, we're winning (CCW, castle laws, AWB sunset), and it's 'cause of the NRA.

From reading all the statements here, I can chime in on my viewpoint but it will probably do no good on either side of the fence. Alas, I will waste my time and bandwidth to pipe up anyway...even if I get flamed from both sides....

It is a well known and long standing fact that nra spends over 90 cents in harassment mailings for every dollar it brings in from donations.

Fact? I'm not one to ask this on a regular basis, but you're assertion prompts me to ask for sources on this one.

LaPierre makes $1Mil a year? Is this his salary that's paid by the NRA or does this include money earned in other sectors also?

38splfan quote:
I believe that current president Sandy Froman needs to stand up for what SHE thinks is best, and what the MEMBERS tell her they want, not the free-loading board of directors.

Sandy Froman is no longer the president of the NRA. John C. Sigler is.

rbrgs quoted:
So what's your excuse for not joining the NRA?

When you understand the true difference between "excuse" and "reason" I will be happy to indulge you with my current stance with why I do or do not support the NRA. But first, allow me to tell a corny story that most won't give a damn...

A member of my family's employer pushes extremely hard on his employees to donate to the United Way. He goes so far as making it mandatory to attend the yearly meeting to hear their schpeel(sp). He holds fund raisers on a normal basis. My family member refuses to give one single dime. Several other employees have stuck their noses in the business of my family member to pry information on why he doesn't contribute. He doesn't give his excuse or reason. IT'S NOBODY'S BUSINESS ON HOW ONE USES THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY TO DISTRIBUTE TO THE CHARITY OF THEIR CHOICE. By the way, I actually know what he does with the money that would have gone to the United Way. And if they knew, it would completely EMBARRASS the ones that rediculed him.

Take this story as you will: Whether with a grain of salt or face value. But, take heed. It would be wise to not assert it as some peoples "excuses" as "pathetic". I view it as a slap in the face when thinking you know better what to do with SOMEONE ELSE'S MONEY, NOT YOURS.

Respectfully submitted without saying what I really want to say and get kicked out of the boards...

Congress Passes Bill to Stop Mentally Ill From Getting Guns

[snipped from article]
The resulting bill -- based on legislation that had languished for years -- drew overwhelming bipartisan support, and the backing of both the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the National Rifle Association. Its Democratic sponsors worked for months to bring it to a vote, after Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) placed a hold on it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/19/AR2007121902279.html

Go look up the bill and read about what is considered 'mentally ill' and who can 'revoke your right' If for example they consider PTSD a 'problem' then I know a few people off the top of my head that would legally not be allowed to carry but if my rear was in a sling would be some of the first guys I'd want covering my back.

JuanCarlos
If there's one thing I've learned around here, it's that an appreciation of firearms and belief in a right to keep and bear them is about the only thing I seem to share with the average NRA member.

Well, then, you probably should say "Thank you" to the average NRA member.

Say what you will, we're winning (CCW, castle laws, AWB sunset), and it's 'cause of the NRA.

Right there is where we disagree, and there's no reason we can't do it politely.

Everything you mentioned came about as a result of legislative action and much of it occurred at the state level. Legislators are driven by several factors. Often they run for office because they genuinely want to change things 'for the better'. Everybody has a different definition of 'better' and from the time they declare their candidacy until they leave office, lobbyists and special interest groups (NRA, VPC, Brady Campaign et al) try and sell their definition of it. Once in office, they feel like they just gotta be doing something so they sponsor, support and oppose various bills. They make those decisions based on some combination of their own beliefs, what they have been lobbied to support, and avoiding the wrath of an angry constituency. About halfway through their term, surviving the next election becomes real important to them.

You may recall the post-Brady Bill election, which resulted in removal of many Democrats from power. The passage of the Brady Bill was a catalyst in that sea change, which held through several more elections. LOTS of hunters, shooters and CCW advocates HAD ENOUGH! They knew Brady was but the tip of the iceberg if these people retained power.

A congressional clean out of that magnitude is not the sole property of NRA- who had just supported 'reasonable compromises' toward Brady's passage. Way more people than just NRA members were responsible for the that clean out. Congress is still stinging from it, and it scared them because they thought they could project 2A opposition based on NRA membership numbers. We-gun owners voting in masse-gave them a whoopin' they simply don't want another dose of. That is exactly why you have seen so little gun legislation introduced in the interim.

We can win, and we have proven it. Those wins will come only from solidarity on 2A issues. We can most assuredly convince the legislature we will accept no more infringement upon our 2A rights. We just had the opposition on the ropes. We lost that advantage in the '06 elec6tion, thanks in large part to a Republican leadership that proved no better than the people they had replaced.

The face of politics is changing, and for gun owners it's a high-stakes game. Think 'OODA Steam-Roller' here; we can either drive it, or get run over by it. We are going to have to convince both parties that neither can take our vote for granted; and that incurring our wrath will guarantee that they won't survive the next election. When we accomplish those two things, and hold that line, we will have proven to our elected servants that they are just that- servants.

The most important card in your wallet isn't your NRA card, SAF card, or GOA card. It isn't even that Platinum VISA.

It's your voter registration card.

I can buy anything I want in the morning if it's in town. Otherwise, I'll have it shipped to the FFL down the street for $20.
With the proper paper work and govt BS. Not to mentioon waiting periods and the like. Some of it's local and state but it's none the less gun control which the NRA claims to oppose. There just like any other big organization. Start out good that the bigger they get the more corrupt.

Good catch.

Sandy Froman is no longer the president of the NRA. John C. Sigler is.

OOPS:o
Good catch. Just renewed a few weeks ago actually and still catching up on news. Only been home for a couple months now and there's a LOT to catch up with.

Too bad though. Froman had some interesting ideas and seemed like she would have done well if more time were available for her. I know it's not, but a shame, nonetheless.

That's the catch.

Some of it's local and state but it's none the less gun control which the NRA claims to oppose.

There's the catch. A lot of it is state and local. The NRA handles some of that, but they toss most of their weight to Washington. With more going on up on the hill these days, they have fewer resources at the state/local level. That's where individual members come in.

Also, that's the best reason to support a grass-roots group in your area. Many states are forming pro-2A organizations specifically to fight at the state level, and more than a few receive at least some support from the NRA.

With the proper paper work and govt BS. Not to mentioon waiting periods and the like. Some of it's local and state but it's none the less gun control which the NRA claims to oppose. There just like any other big organization. Start out good that the bigger they get the more corrupt.

Yep, one piece of paper that takes about 30 seconds and a phone call that takes another 30 seconds on average. No waitng on long guns, or pistols if you have a concealed carry permit. I think it is 5 days on pistols if you don't. Big deal.

I guess you would rather the Crips just go in and buy a few dozen anytime on a whim?

I'm not a member because I like to complain about the NRA. Therefore, I belong to the GOA. We don't accomplish much (actually, we don't accomplish anything), but we are a "no-compromise" group that protects the sheeple. We tried to defeat the NRA's Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, but that didn't work, so now gun manufacturers can't be sued for the unlawful acts of criminals. :( Also, we at the GOA are against providing funds to the States to ensure that crazy people who have been adjudicated as a threat to themselves or to others are prevented by the instant check system from buying a firearm. A crazy person who might kill lots of people with a gun has an absolute, unfettered right to keep and bear arms! As far as the GOA is concerned, we can always clean up the blood and bodies later.

Remember, at the GOA, we're all about "no compromise." Because as a practical matter, that's how legislation is enacted in congress; there is never any compromising when legislation is drafted and amended. Like I said, take a look at all of the legislation that's been enacted because of the GOA, and you'll see how effective the GOA really is. :)

And the NRA, with thier firearms training, safety programs, conservation efforts, effective lobbying, and everything else....that stuff is not so important. Remember, the GOA is watching out for you!

You gotta love the response to the NRA on boards like this ...

The pro gun control guy calls me insane, one of the guys so anti-gun control he probably thinks you should be able to buy full auto guns out of vending machines has put me on his ignore list (can't say as I blame him -- how annoying it must be for a total idiot to constantly be confronted with intelligent arguments he doesn't have the capacity to deal with!?).

But that's the way it is. The NRA is fiercely pro gun ownership and for the RKBA, but because they are willing to work within the system and make things happen through necessary compromises they have "sold out."

I do realize the NRA has been involved in some bad laws -- but I think it's their stand that it's better to try and at least influence a bad process than to just draw a line in the sand, withdrawing support for anyone who doesn't support that line, and then lose it all. The reason why the NRA is effective is that politicians know the NRA will be reasonable with them. Take the 198? law that ended up banning new machine guns from private ownership. Support for full auto ownership is hard to find, and this law had MANY excellent facets to it that made gun ownership much easier -- like the ability to transport gun through states irregardless of local state law.

How about this ... since the NRA is the only organization getting things done, why don't we all just support them until they get the laws to THEIR level of acceptance (nationwide CCW/reciprocity, repeal of the 1980's full auto ban, repeal of local laws on AWB and mag capacity/repeal of senseless Saturday Night Special laws) and then when we get to that point we can all flock to a more stringent group?

Or we can just stay like we are, with the self righteous refusing to support any meaningful group and thus allowing our rights to continue to be eroded away.

While I'm sure many out there dream of screaming "Molon Labe" and then "turning their guns in bullets first," but it seems a rather loud means of committing suicide and it will result only in the removal of your DNA from future generations.

GOA

I'm not a member because I like to complain about the NRA. Therefore, I belong to the GOA. We don't accomplish much (actually, we don't accomplish anything), but we are a "no-compromise" group that protects the sheeple. We tried to defeat the NRA's Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, but that didn't work, so now gun manufacturers can't be sued for the unlawful acts of criminals. Also, we at the GOA are against providing funds to the States to ensure that crazy people who have been adjudicated as a threat to themselves or to others are prevented by the instant check system from buying a firearm. A crazy person who might kill lots of people with a gun has an absolute, unfettered right to keep and bear arms! As far as the GOA is concerned, we can always clean up the blood and bodies later.

Remember, at the GOA, we're all about "no compromise." Because as a practical matter, that's how legislation is enacted in congress; there is never any compromising when legislation is drafted and amended. Like I said, take a look at all of the legislation that's been enacted because of the GOA, and you'll see how effective the GOA really is.

And the NRA, with thier firearms training, safety programs, conservation efforts, effective lobbying, and everything else....that stuff is not so important. Remember, the GOA is watching out for you!

Fremmer, I don't always agree with you, but that one I like:D

Not that I have a beef with GOA, just that they do seem to accomplish a whole lot of NRA slamming and not so much on the hill.

To their credit they are great about getting the word out about things. They seem to have a pretty effective communications crew that has gotten some stuff out to me BEFORE NRA get around to it.

But still, your post is very valid. (and hilarious;) )

Good catch. Just renewed a few weeks ago actually and still catching up on news. Only been home for a couple months now and there's a LOT to catch up with.

Too bad though. Froman had some interesting ideas and seemed like she would have done well if more time were available for her. I know it's not, but a shame, nonetheless.

No problem. Nobody's perfect but that doesn't include me. I've NEVER, EVER misspoke on this forum.....EVER..:rolleyes:

She did have the ideas, but I often wonder why so many changes in leadership since Heston stepped down. Some may say the answer is obvious, but I'd like to know the facts, not speculations...

This will be my first post as a new member. :)

My take on lobbying done by groups, be it the NRA, the Brady Bunch, the American Trucking Association (I'm a truck driver), the Sierra Club, the Let's Make Spam the National Lunchmeat Association, etc., is that these special interest groups limit the time and energy that our elected representatives have to give to us as individuals.

Ultimately, the elected representatives begin to draft legislation that protects the interests of these groups instead of adhering to the Constitution whose intent is to protect the rights of individuals given to us by our Creator.

Our society has been moved from that of "We the People", to that of "We the Special Interest Groups". Individual rights are being eroded in the interests of group rights. The fact that SCOTUS may decide that the Heller case reaffirms the Bill of Rights as those belonging to individuals and not a collective group is encouraging.

The NRA, whether it's corrupt or not as an organization is part of the problem in my opinion with how We the People engage our elected representatives. Lobbying by groups of our elected representatives is contrary to the spirit of Freedom and Liberty at the individual level.

I personally will write or call my representative in order to voice my concerns and exercise my right to free speech. I won't relinguish my right and duty to talk to my representative to any group by proxy, no matter how well the intention that group may be. Voting is an individual right, not a right of just certain groups (though that may change again as we all become more enslaved each day by an intrusive, overbearing government gone wild with power with total disregard of the 10th Amendment).

Nothing personal against the NRA, they just don't fit into my world of individual rights... even though their intent is to uphold the 2A. The road to hell is pave with good intentions.

Back