Why are red dot optics not standard from the OEM?

A big eye opener for me were my cowboy style Ruger Blackhawks. They shot right where I wanted once I found the right load at 25 yards... and that’s how they will still be shooting in 100 years.

How deep in the landfill will a dot sight be in 100 years?

For hunting I’ve used scopes and they have some advantages. My terrain is woods and corn fields. Over time, I learned how to wait and take my shots under 25 yards. Back when my eyes were sharp and I was a crack shot I took a few shots at longer ranges I was absolutely sure of, and I still regret my arrogance 20 years later. They don’t have twigs and branches at the range, and paper doesn’t run off and suffer if you misjudge. I learned.

I like reading about what all you fellas are interested in, even if you don’t yet admit that the Ruger Blackhawk is the finest revolver ever made!
Interesting what you say about the Blackhawk. On a related note I bought and sold a Single Six Hunter model within about 4 months. That long barrel was way too front heavy for me. And that was only a .22. I can’t imagine what it is like to hold and shoot a .44 of that type. DSFDF

This from Dragline45: "I think it’s fairly obvious, red dots cost half the price of a Glock for example. Do you seriously think gun companies are going to start putting $200+ Red dots on their pistols as opposed to iron sights?"

Glocks now have iron sights!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

To those who love the red dots, do you use them
at three yards in a point and shoot situation? Or
maybe five yards?

And what do you believe is the optimum and ideal
range for a confrontation, especially with the red
dot?

And do the red dots work well in a room with the walls
painted red?

Or you're in the red light district some night?

Let's watch and see.

If you apply this to rifles, you still see the vast majority of rifles sold without scopes, even those that don't even come with irons. The few times you do see a rifle/scope combo, its typically of the lower end. Optics are just as varied and personal as firearms are, not many people want to be locked into a single choice.

This from Dragline45: "I think it’s fairly obvious, red dots cost half the price of a Glock for example. Do you seriously think gun companies are going to start putting $200+ Red dots on their pistols as opposed to iron sights?"

Glocks now have iron sights!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

To those who love the red dots, do you use them
at three yards in a point and shoot situation? Or
maybe five yards?

And what do you believe is the optimum and ideal
range for a confrontation, especially with the red
dot?

And do the red dots work well in a room with the walls
painted red?

Or you're in the red light district some night?
Not sure what you mean. I use them at all distances when true aiming is taking place. If just point and shoot or shoot from the hip, well, no sight is used, right? Red dots work well for me at all distances that I can see the target well. Short distances are not problem. The apparent size of the dot at 100 yards is 3 inches for a 3 MOA sight, so I could use it out that far if I could see that far and keep my shake under control.

Good point. So I'm amenable to amending my rant to be more like why don't the gun makers offer standard configuration mounting plates for their rear site dovetail cuts with the new gun. Then all you would have to buy is your optic of choice that adapts to that mounting standard.

How often do you think the manufacturer is going to put your favorite red dot on your favorite pistol? If you want a red dot, you can add the red dot you want with current practices.

If you were to figure out how to use iron sights to the point that you would reduce your groups by half as you claim is the case when using a red dot... imagine what your groups with the red dot would be then... that might be something to brag about.

You missed the point of my previous long winded post.

rpenmanparker said:
It might be interesting to know how many red dot nay sayers have actually tried them.
I have. I suspect that most who have responded have tried them.

You asked a question. Did you want honest answers, or were you really hoping for answers that reinforce your personal opinion? Site preference is just that -- a preference, which is an opinion. You are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine, and every other person on the planet is entitled to his or hers.

rpenmanparker said:
I consider the term Luddite to be a joke. Apparently not everyone else does.
Name calling is a joke only when it occurs between people who are close friends.

Last edited:
The idea that results obtained with a red dot aren't "real" or as praise-worthy as with iron sights is BS. Can you say luddite?

You may think it's BS... I think it's spot on and lacks the legs for argument, but that's the beauty of opinions. ;)

If you were to figure out how to use iron sights to the point that you would reduce your groups by half as you claim is the case when using a red dot... imagine what your groups with the red dot would be then... that might be something to brag about.

You missed the point of my previous long winded post.
Everybody is different. Is it unreasonable that I had already optimized my open sight shooting? I mean how do you know I am leaving anything on the open sight table?

Actually I'm just playing Devil's advocate. know I could be better with open sights. But so what. Why would I work on open sights when the better result will always be with the red dot?

Last edited:
I have. I suspect that most who have responded have tried them.

You asked a question. Did you want honest answers, or were you really hoping for answers that reinforce your personal opinion? Site preference is just that -- a preference, which is an opinion. You are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine, and every other person on the planet is entitled to his or hers.

Name calling is a joke only when it occurs between people who are close friends.
I never suggested I didn't want honest answers. Why are folks so touchy here? This is a good conversation. I hold up my end. You hold up your end. What's not to like?

I mean how do you know I am leaving anything on the open sight table?

How?

I’m converting my new pistols even before shooting them for the first time. I shoot so much better with a red dot than iron sights it is amazing.

Kind of obvious.
Pretty much like a mechanical release aid in archery.
I am a 300-30X shooter with a release aid, and I do use one when hunting game.
But I'm a damned sight more proud of a 300-(10 to 20something X) round shot using a finger tab.
Take the release aid away from most of the folks that use them, and the result speaks for itself.

You are bypassing the fundamentals of shooting in my opinion, you're allowed to hold a different one.

It is simply not very precise. Putting the POA on top of the post or centered on the post has a lot of error to it. And when I look through the open sights, the front post doesn't fill the space in the rear notch. If I had longer arms, it would. So how do I get the post perfectly centered for repeatability? That is my problem. I suppose I could buy a thicker front post and see if that helped.

The red dot is a dot. Put it on the desired POI at the zeroed distance (15 yd) and you get the same result every time not counting hand shake and movement, flinching, and all the other common errors.

How?

Kind of obvious.
Pretty much like a mechanical release aid in archery.
I am a 300-30X shooter with a release aid, and I do use one when hunting game.
But I'm a damned sight more proud of a 300-(10 to 20something X) round shot using a finger tab.
Take the release aid away from most of the folks that use them, and the result speaks for itself.

You are bypassing the fundamentals of shooting in my opinion, you're allowed to hold a different one.
Actually I do respect that opinion. I do not however agree with it. I don't take pride in doing something the hard way. I take pride in doing it the best way.

But there are many examples of your way of looking at it, and I understand that. I just see it differently.

That would obviously be a waste of time.
I sense some sarcasm there. Forgive me if I am wrong. But no problem. I actually appreciate the joke. But if I am right, I am interested in why you think it would NOT be a waste of time. I'm not talking about the right setup for SD, etc. I just mean for getting the best shooting results possible at the range. After all that is all I do shooting-wise. If I have demonstrated always better results with the red dot, why would beating my head against the open sights wall be a good idea?

It was sarcasm and I apologize.
Don't take my old and grumpy demeanor too seriously, and a sincere welcome to the forum.

I'm not meaning to bust your chops here and I do understand your perspective but I believe it's flawed.

What you posted about iron sights not being very precise is wrong, they're simply much harder to master as they require considerably more skill.
That means more patience, determination, and a whole lot more practice.

Red dots are a mechanical device that will without question fail, and that will typically happen at the MOST inopportune moment.
That I would call a serious handicap if you aren't able to function effectively without it.

Go back to what I said about imagining your shooting with a red dot once you've reduced your groups by half with the irons first.
There aren't any quick roads, but even if there were do you really want to take one?

Back