Why are Kahrs made so tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recoil spring

I have a Kahr CW 380 and it is machined very tight in tolerances compared to my old Ruger LCP, of course the Kahr shoots better with the accuracy and nicer trigger. However, the purpose of each of these pocket .380 pistols is close quarter self defense, not target pistols.

I sold my Ruger LCP because the pins kept walking out while being shot and the trigger pull was very heavy. But it was reliable and ammo forgiving, my Kahr is touchy on ammo and needs to be kept really clean and well oiled. Will be stripping it down soon even though it has not been shot in 3 years, but carried daily.

Why would the engineers at Kahr make a self defense pistol so tight mechanically? Have no experience with their larger framed guns, I suppose they are tight too?

I have this pistol. Mine is built right, IMO.

Typically tight refers to barrel fit to slide or slide to frame. What is tight to you?

Will be stripping it down soon even though it has not been shot in 3 years, but carried daily.
You have carried a pistol every day for three YEARS without doing a detail strip, cleaning, and lube?

Unwise, IMHO, but it's your gun and your life.

Why would the engineers at Kahr make a self defense pistol so tight mechanically?
Possibly so that after a few thousand rounds people won't diss it as a rattletrap.

I have cleaned and oiled it repeatably in the past, as well as put over 300 rds. through it but not for 2 years now. What I refer to tight is the slide and frame fit. Also, it takes strong hands to pull the slide back to lock it. This gun is not a good choice for weak hands or with arthritis.

First of all congrats on a great Carry gun. IMO you really need to shoot more often. I know it is tough with the ammo shortage, but not three years ago. You do not have many rounds through the gun and it get even smoother with more shooting. The Kahr does have a strong recoil spring. The good news is that is one reason why the gun is such a mild shooting gun for it's size.
Since this is a down time for a lot of shooting, it might be a good time to break the gun down all the way to the striker etc. You should learn how to do this anyway. Many video's to teach you how.
You might also do some research on the proper way to rack a slide using your shoulders rather than just your hand. Kahr also makes a special slide rack, although I have not used one or need on.

Recoil spring said:
I have cleaned and oiled it repeatably in the past, as well as put over 300 rds. through it but not for 2 years now. What I refer to tight is the slide and frame fit.
We usually see people complaining about a loose slide-to-frame fit. I think this may be the first time I have even seen anyone complain that a pistol was fitted too well.

Also, it takes strong hands to pull the slide back to lock it. This gun is not a good choice for weak hands or with arthritis.
Then if you have arthritis or weak hands ... don't buy it.

Do you have arthritis or weak hands? If not, that doesn't affect you so why even mention it?

I have a Kahr CW 380 and it is machined very tight in tolerances compared to my old Ruger LCP, of course the Kahr shoots better with the accuracy and nicer trigger. However, the purpose of each of these pocket .380 pistols is close quarter self defense, not target pistols.

I sold my Ruger LCP because the pins kept walking out while being shot and the trigger pull was very heavy. But it was reliable and ammo forgiving, my Kahr is touchy on ammo and needs to be kept really clean and well oiled. Will be stripping it down soon even though it has not been shot in 3 years, but carried daily.

Why would the engineers at Kahr make a self defense pistol so tight mechanically? Have no experience with their larger framed guns, I suppose they are tight too?

Supply and Demand. People want and buy high quality match grade defensive pistols AKA demand. Kahr supplies the demand. If people stop buying them, they will stop making them.

I have a few Kahrs and I prefer them for several reasons. Some can't rack them, so they should look at something else.

Thankfully, Kahr does not follow the crowd and make their pistols to cater to the lowest common denominator. But, again, thankfully, there are those that do for those that need them. Choice is a good thing!

Blaming people for hating Kahr is kinda dumb when another company came out with a correction to the Kahr mag follower and then Kahr updated (only 2 years ago) their mag follower without telling consumers...

Worst designed magazine on the market=Kahr.

(the company that fixed the mag follwer for Kahr is: https://lakelinellc.com)

I have a few Kahrs and I prefer them for several reasons. Some can't rack them, so they should look at something else.

Thankfully, Kahr does not follow the crowd and make their pistols to cater to the lowest common denominator. But, again, thankfully, there are those that do for those that need them. Choice is a good thing!
You gonna say the reasons you prefer them, or just bash people for struggling with their heavy slides?

Blaming people for hating Kahr is kinda dumb when another company came out with a correction to the Kahr mag follower and then Kahr updated (only 2 years ago) their mag follower without telling consumers...

Worst designed magazine on the market=Kahr.

(the company that fixed the mag follwer for Kahr is: https://lakelinellc.com)
Sorry, but I have to laugh at that one. Kahr still sells the same mag. and I have no problem with them. And I have about a dozen in 380 and 9mm ea. If some one desires to get the other mag follower it sure is easy and simple to do. If some one hates a gun for such a lame reason, then too bad for them. Makes you wonder how much they shoot any guns. Kahr sell both followers right on their website. You would have to be pretty dumb not to find a simple follower if that were really a issue. And not many out there that do not have the intelligence to change out a follower.

Last edited:
I really don't care if you misread it, but I didn't say the mag was changed. Anyone can clearly see I said Kahr updated their mag followers 2 years ago.

I did say Kahr mags suck. Try stepping on a Kahr mag. It will split. Try that on any Mec-Gar magazine from any other gun?

You gonna say the reasons you prefer them, or just bash people for struggling with their heavy slides?
Read my post again, slowly without emotion. I bashed no-one. I have trained more than my fair share of people missing fingers, limbs, with MS etc. If you take the lowest common denominator as a bash, that is on you. I did in fact say it was a good thing.

No. I know you know guns well MarkCo and are huge in the shotgun scene, but you clearly said anyone who had a bad experience (or experiences in my case) doesn't know how to use a gun.

My CW380 was probably the worst gun I've ever owned. Few guns were created and had a follow up list of ammo that would or would not work through it.

No. I know you know guns well MarkCo and are huge in the shotgun scene, but you clearly said anyone who had a bad experience (or experiences in my case) doesn't know how to use a gun.

My CW380 was probably the worst gun I've ever owned. Few guns were created and had a follow up list of ammo that would or would not work through it.
Hogwash. Never said such a thing ever! I'll give a grammar lesson if I have to, but that is either not understanding English or trolling on your part.

Also, it's a little circular logic to call Kahr's trigger innovative when no manufacturer is trying to make a DA long heavier trigger pull and a full forward reset.

If any new gun came out with the Kahr trigger, no one would be buying it.

I can tell you having owned both at the same time, the LCP (P3AT) has a longer barrel and is overall smaller than the CW380. So to the OP, why is it so tight that some factory 380 OAL will hang it up? I don't know. Crappy design? I wouldn't say it proves more accurate?

Last edited:
Also, it's a little circular logic to call Kahr's trigger innovative when no manufacturer is trying to make a DA long heavier trigger pull and a full forward reset.

If any new gun came out with the Kahr trigger, no one would be buying it.

It's innovative enough that they were able to secure a patent (which are very hard to come by) for the trigger system:
The incomparable cocking cam trigger system employs a patented cam to both unlock the passive safety and complete cocking and releasing of the firing pin. The system provides a “safe cam action” and unbelievably smooth double action only trigger stroke, fast to fire in critical defensive situations

Kahr sued Diamond back for copying their trigger design so yes, someone is currently trying to come out with the same trigger and people are buying them. Jeesh!

You have carried a pistol every day for three YEARS without doing a detail strip, cleaning, and lube?

Unwise, IMHO, but it's your gun and your life.

Possibly so that after a few thousand rounds people won't diss it as a rattletrap.
Please explain what detail stripping means.

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back