Why are CZs unpopular in this country?

You think
85b.jpg

Looks better than
g31.jpg

???

I guess dude... I sure don't think so.

I don't own a Glock. I do own a Ruger, I think it doesn't look as funkey as the CZ.

But then again... nothin can compare to my H&K USP. It's dead sexy! :D

I pirated this from shooters, it seemed relevent...

Flash back! It's 1984, Norm Bailey is testing "wonder" nines.

Included in this test is the Browning HP, Beretta 92SBC, Sig P210-1, and the then almost impossible to get CZ75.

Short comments on each pistol by Norm Bailey...

Beretta: Flawless reliability out of the box.

Sig: Built like a Swiss watch, and every bit as expensive.

HP: Top pick in single action, worth the money.

CZ: "My choice if I could have but 1 handgun...period.

Article summary: "my choice of the four? Thats not difficult. The CZ75. I believe it would also be my choice if I could have but one handgun, period. It is just that good. It feels 'righter' in the hand than any other gun, pointing naturally. Most quality guns are accurate. The CZ is easily the most accurate I have handled. That is to say, the average shooter can do well with it. The switch from double action to single is there but hardly noticeable, making for a quick second shot. And the DA is smoother than many revolvers, including some tuned ones.(One can carry the 75 cocked and locked, but with the smoothness of the transition I can see no reason for doing so unless you were so used to Colt .45 carry you were uncomfortable doing it any other way.)
Single action trigger pull is quite good, with only moderate take up and a crisp final pull; it's better than the Beretta, though perhaps not quite as good as the Sig or Browning (my Browning only--The CZ's pull is better than other Brownings I've tried).
The deciding factor between the CZ and browning (both of which are head and shoulders above the Beretta and Sig) was that the CZ will fire without the magazine as a good combat pistol should. It is easy to think up scenarios in which the mag could be lost".......

You can find this article in it's entirety in Combat Handguns, June 84'. There should be some way to get it via the web I would imagine.

Looks?

I could care less what a defence tool looks like. Reliability under extreme conditions, accuracy, and ease of use are my main worries when it comes to tools. CZ75s rock, they're of the same quality as the better known brands. I like them, but I'm glad most people don't. That means cheaper prebans and lower prices for me. ;)

Just ordered my 2nd CZ 75 B today: this one in 9mm. Looking forward to getting it to the range with its running mate in .40 caliber. As long as the CZ's are such a good deal, I'm afraid I'm going to have to continue to buy.

--
Mike

75b.jpg

CZ's Rule. The only thing better looking than the CZ 75 B in 9mm is the CZ 75 B in .40 caliber. :)

[Edited by mbott on 04-12-2001 at 08:45 PM]

Call me a traditionalist, but I think nearly all of the polymer guns look ugly. Glocks and HKs in particular are extremely ugly. The only polymer gun that my eyes can tolerate is the Ruger P97. Of course, we all have our own tastes.....

Ok, are there pre ban mags for CZ`s? I guess the 40b,75b or 85b models are what I`m intrested in. Is 350 $ about right on price?

gconan,

Visit http://pdmall.com/CZC/pistol~1.htm for CZ pricing.

GunreviewWebmaster,

I'm not the expert on the entire line of CZ pistols, but I believe only the CZ100 has a polymer frame. All the rest are available with a polycoat finish over a steel frame. As for the Ruger's, I have 5 which include the P95 and the P97. I like them, too. :)

--
Mike

Here is my own Ruger P97. Looks nice IMHO.

RUGER2.JPG

It's just that... that CZ... god.. it looks SOOO ugly.. again my opnion... I think that is why they aren't as popular. The finish on them is nice.. just the design is butt ugly. God.. looks almost like a Luger or... man I don't know.. it just looks bad. The way the tip points, the way the slide gets smaller at the end.. the shape of the grip, the dorky buttons, man... just look at it!

Am I alone here? Why am I the only one that thinks this gun looks like ass? Really.... I can't be the only one.

Now if say this were a Red Dawn situation and I needed a pistol I would grab a CZ. But god... when someone is looking through a glass case and see's this thing.. yuck is the first thing that comes to mind.

I can't be the only one who thinks this way...

I'm not the expert on the entire line of CZ pistols, but I believe only the CZ100 has a polymer frame. All the rest are available with a polycoat finish over a steel frame.

Correct, the CZ 100 is polymer. All of the other CZs are either alloy (PCR) or steel (CZ 75,85,97). I prefer steel frames (all of my CZs are steel).

You are entitled to your opinion--and I respect your stance-- but is crude language ("looks like ***") really necessary? :rolleyes:

I agree that for a polymer gun, the Ruger P97 is decent looking (I got one too). ;)

As far as the Glocks and HKs go. They are both great guns. I in fact own two Glocks still. I never have owned an HK, but I have shot a few and I do like them. IMO, they both are great tools.....but they just look horrible. Not a concern, as I am more interested in function than looks. I would not get rid of my Glocks over the lack of cosmetics issue for example. ;)

[Edited by GunreviewWebmaster on 04-12-2001 at 11:06 PM]

Hmmm...

"All the rest are available with a polycoat finish over a steel frame."

...not exactly. ;)

Check out my favorite of the current offerings, the PCR:

Compact size and an aluminum-alloy frame...readily available 10- and 13-round magazines.

An exceptionally nice package at a *very* fair price.

but is crude language ("looks like ***") really necessary?

"crude"

uhhh...

I guess it's true what all the other firearms message boards say about The Firing Line now...

Ok..

The CZ pistol looks like bum.

Tushy

Stikie maker

I'm gonna go wash out my potty mouth for saying such gosh darn naughty things.

Excuse me :D

Zander,

I agree with you, the PCR is an exceptionally nice pistol. I absolutely love mine.
BTW, have you been able to find 13 round magazines for yours? If so, where?

TIA - Pussball

I own 8 CZ's and...

All but one are exceptional pieces. They are...

2 "pre B" 75's in 9X19, one standard and one made in Switzerland. (very rare) BTW The standard 75 has 30,000 rounds through it!

1 Cz97B

1 75B in blue satin, 9X19

1 75B in poly coat, .40 S&W

1 PCR

2 Cz100's, one in 9X19 (great gun!)
and the other CZ100 is in .40 S&W. This is the "stinker" in the group. Chambered in 9mm the piece is great, but in .40 it has two serious flaws. One is the serrated trigger which just chews the crap out of your trigger finger. The other is the trigger pull! On the 9mm it's heavy but "learnable", on the .40 it feels like about 30 pounds! It is the absolute worst DAO pull I have ever felt. According to Mike at CZ the trigger group is the same, but they definately DONT feel the same.
Just a few CZ notes!

What's wrong with saying the word ass??? I don't see it as crude. We hear it all the time on TV and if TV says it's ok then obviously it's ok!!!!!!

Nothing's wrong with using that word.

Frank:
I guess it's true what all the other firearms message boards say about The Firing Line now...

I searched and searched but couldn't find where TFL had posted about anything or censored a post in any way in this thread. Did you spot something I missed?

Now, let's get back to discussing CZ's only (in this thread, that is.)

Frank, I'll agree that the CZ is not the most aesthetically pleasing side arm on the market.
But if you think the Glock and the Ruger autos look nice I think you are a tushy.:D (Just kidding buddy;))

Back