Why all the hate? The IPSC/IDPA debate

What's all the fuss? IPSC is more sport oriented; IDPA, more personal defense oriented. "What's your pleasure?" is all I'd say.

Ultimately, it's what works best for you.

Anything more is just the gun game version of the mindless Ford v. Chevy, Coke v. Pepsi, stick v. auto "debates" - pointless. ;)

I've been shooting IPSC at the local level since 1978 and IDPA since 2001.

In our area (central Wisconsin) we see a fair amount of shooters who compete happily in both disciplines.

I think the best thing USPSA ever did was (finally!) create the PRODUCTION class so that shooters with relatively stock equipment can compete against others with comparable gear. I'm a cop and I shoot my issue SIG 226 in both USPSA Production Class and IDPA Stock Service Pistol Class (when my schedule allows to get to a match). USPSA badly needed an entry level class where beginners or the more "practically" oriented can compete on an even playing field.

The IDPA shooters I know who have gone on to try IPSC have enjoyed it, and the reverse is also true. I suspect the shooters who are very focused on competition will stick to IPSC.

The biggest perceptual problem that most shooters who are unfamiliar has about IPSC is that it requires an expensive scoped handgun in some weird caliber to be competitive. Once people discover that is no longer true, they tend to become more interested.

When I used to live in South Dakota I was a member of a pistol club that held action matches each month. One of our officers was an IPSC shooter who attended at least one IPSC match a month if his schedule permitted. He had his Gee-Whiz 2000 Race Gun all set-up the way he liked and he was very good with it. Would anyone care to guess why he was good at it?

Practice Practice Practice Every spare moment that he was not at a match, at work, or on a Honey-Do assignment, he was either reloading or shooting. He didn't win because of the G-W 2K RG, he won because he practiced all the drills all the time.

One year he mentioned that he averaged nearly a thousand rounds a week in practice alone. I'm fairly certain that's what you're going to find in any sport, the top people are always practicing their craft.

It's not going to be any different whether you're an IPSC shooter, IDPA shooter, NRA High Power shooter, etc. If you're not practicing, you're playing.

Me? I shoot too many things to spend all my money on just one aspect of the shooting sports, so I'm just playing. And you know what? I'm having a blast, thank you very much. :)

I wholeheartedly agree with Faustalus earlier post

"I find it to be the opposite, if anything there predisposition by IDPA shooters to hate IPSC more so than the reverse."

It's has been my experience here in California is that most IDPA only competitors initially tend to have very strong feelings against USPSA/IPSC but once those that individuals have been competing in IDPA for a while they tend to make the crossover and end up competing in both sports.

I think that it is really funny there is animosity between the two. At the nationals, the same guys win both(ie Rob, Matt B., Dave S,) If that doesnt show the similarity then what else does?

I've been shooting IPSC a few years and decided to try a few IDPA matches recently.

People told me whatever you do, don't tell them you shoot IPSC. I saw people posting on the internet like there was some kind of animosity against IPSC by IDPA. From the sound of it, I was going to drop a mag on the ground be found out and burned as a heretic.

I shot IDPA and barely heard a word about IPSC.

A few people seem to think IDPA is more about personal defense, is more "tactically correct" or something like that, but I never met one of those people in person; they're all on the internet, and they're wrong.

The only differences I saw were shorter, simpler, closer stages, and those danged tactical reloads. Nobody was shooting at me, or chasing me with a knife, and I had fun, so IDPA must be a game too.

The club I was shooting IDPA with did a lot of kneeling and going prone and crawling around with a gun- which I have fun with. Which reminds me... I need to go ahead and join so I can shoot more. (If it wasn't 80 miles away I'd have joined already.)

The More Trigger Time, the Better

Like others, I shoot both, when I can. My mentality is that I am working on my own skills, and that I am competing against no one but myself and my ability to learn and absorb.

I believe the schism dates back to the days when the tricked out guns and the racing mentality 'took over'. To Bill Wilson, Ken Hackathorn and others who founded both IPSC & IDPA, the realism was losing out. That's when they decided to form the IDPA and get back to self-defense realism.

Some time later, the IPSC (USPSA) tried to win back many of those shooters by opening up new chances for production gun shooters to find a home with the USPSA. I believe that is roughly where we are today.

So, from my perspective, when I hear negative things said one way or the other about either of the two, I only respond by asking "Who cares about the politics? How soon can we SHOOT?". The more trigger time, the better.

Too frigging funny, the whole "profit is evil" thing.

They did not want open elections, thus they had to go to a for profit setup. Not for profit corps have to be structured with elections and various failsafes. It doesn't mean that the guys at USPSA are somehow more moral because they are not for profit- it's a managarial and tax decision.

Believe me, the staff at USPSA isn't starving and USPSA has quite a nice nest egg put aside. And there isn't a darn thing wrong with that.

Problem with the 2 shooting sports debate is some people get religion and thing their respect to their favorite sport and will try like heck to make the other one look bad at any turn.

I've seen USPSA shooters lie their butt off to try and get an IDPA club at the same range banned and I've seen IDPA shooters talk so much dirt about USPSA to its potential new shooters it is saddening. The fact though is that the majority of the lovers of both sports have nothing but respect for the other. It's the few loud dirtbags in both camps that make it look like there is a feud.

Shot a USPSA match today. at the end of the match briefing the MD asked me to make any appropriate IDPA announcements to the peanut gallery. Both myself and the MD are of the same mind, which is that any shooting sport is great and we best hang together or we will hang seperately.

Ted

faustulus:

If I may make so bold as to offer a POSSIBLE explaination, did you ever come across the phrase PISSING CONTEST, or perhaps EGO TRIP? I believe that one and or the other will serve to explain.

I generally shoot IPSC. I use one of two pistols. In Limited Ten, a 1911 type pistol, single stack, with 10 round magazines. In Production, I shoot an old Star Model 30M, 9mm "classic" double action , magazines loaded with 10 rounds. 1911 is Major, the 9mm is Minor.

In IDPA, I would shoot either of the above mentioned, without problems. Oh, once, I was "called" on my holster, it was an old Rodgers-Hackenthorn, no longer made. I believe that the guy who kicked up a small fuss lacked anything better to do at the time. Nobody else seemed to care.

Essentially, IDPA requires pistols or revolvers that one might actually carry on the street, along with same type of holster. Compensated handguns, with large optical sights aren't really practical for street carry, though they might be fun to shoot. It all depends on which type of game one chooses to play.

Enough said.

To be fair,

USPSA's production and Revolver divisions are good forums for using your carry gear and guns. You have to carry a LOT more moonclips or magazines, but it's pretty decent practice.

USPSA's Open and Limited divisions are the one with the space holsters and far out gear. Those two divisions are pretty expensive but you can compete in production or revolver for just a few bucks more than in IDPA's divisions, the difference being you needing about a few more mag pouches and magazines, or speedloader/moonclip setups.

Ted

Ted

Dont fool yourself into believeing that IDPA guns are cheap. THe guns that are used at nationals in CDP and ESP are the same price as a limited USPSA gun.

Back