Why a shotgun?

guntotin: my posts directed at you were simply to make the point that your analogy between engaging mulitiple pheasants or skeet quickly with a shotgun meant that you'd be faster against armed home invaders (than with a carbine) was a faulty one.

I'm glad to hear you have a tactical shotgun, that you've had training, and that you're comfortable with it in your particular situation. I also have a SG and throughout this thread I never said that an M4 is always better than a SG for home defense. I earlier stated that I know the advantages and limitations of each. For my personal situation, the M4 has more advantages. But I still keep my Mossberg 590A1 under the bed at night.

guntotin:
My post was strictly a comparison about speed and ability to take multiple targets under fire very quickly. Yes I do know that quail and grouse are not armed. Have I been to tactical training. yes. What did I learn there? that I was faster with a shotgun than a carbine. Pointability, practice, and preference. Just because you went to one practioner who was selling the carbine class, does not make it the word of the unspoken one. I was posting about defending MY home, against the threats that I am likely to see. I posted that the 12 gauge was superior in my mind. IN MY MIND.

That's good to hear you say that now, but your previous posts did not say the 12ga was superior "in your mind." You said that a SG could engage multiple home invaders faster than an M4 because you and your friend were faster with SG's against skeet and pheasants. That is what I, and a few others, took issue with. If it's faster for you, then I'm glad you're armed with what's best for you.

guntotin:
I have a problem with your tone.

I'm sorry if you have a problem with my tone. I offered my opinion that your comparison of shooting pheasants to shooting armed home invaders was "laughable." That's still my opinion. I think you're being a little too sensitive.

Please do not be condescending here with regards to other posters. It belittles you.

I have not been condescending to other posters, and I don't feel at all belittled. I've had enough experience with real world operators to know that if you can't exchange opinions vigorously and be prepared to defend your opinions, sometimes with a few barbs (did you notice the smiley faces?), then you probably shouldn't be in the discussion.

This is better:
..;.',;.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;',.;';.',;.',;.',;.',;.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;
,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;',.;,'.;,';.',;',;'.;,';.',;.,';.',;.',;.',;.',;.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.
;,'.;,'.;,';.',.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,';.,';.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,';.,';.,'.
;,','.;,';.,'.;,';.,'.;,';.,';.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',
.;,'.;,'.;',.;',.;,'.;,'.;,';.,'.;,'.;,'.;',;.',;.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;',;.',;.',;'.;',;.'.;',;'.;',;';
.',;'.;,';.;.;,';.',;.,';.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,';.,';.,';.',;.,'.;,';.,'.;,'.;,'.;,';.,'.;,'.;,'.;';.',;.',;
.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.,'.;,'.;,'.;,';.,';.,'.;,';.,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.,'.,'
. ;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.;,';.,';.,'.;,';.,'.;,'.;,';.

in the dark than this. O

Welcome, I hope you find it a good place to be.

My point is one you make, A loose shot gun pellet, missing its target is going to travel far less distance than a missed .223 in the suburban setting. If bystander or innocents injury is your concern, a 12 gauge makes much more sense. You state that a rifle is more selective, that is true if and when you are absolutely positive of your shot, what happens if or when you need to just throw some lead to keep a bad guys head down so you or someone else can cross a hallway?

Last edited by a moderator:
"what happens if or when you need to just throw some lead to keep a bad guys head down so you or someone else can cross a hallway?"

You are responsible for every round that leaves your barrel.. Basic rules here..

Be aware of your target, what is behind it, possable cross traffic through your line of fire, and if possable what is behind you! (The last one may be a little much but at times you can be just as responsible for the bad guys bullets as yours.. ie drwing and shooting with a flock of people behind you)

Because inside 15 yards, nothing is going to tear you up like a shotgun with the right load.

When you feel threatened, you really aren't concerned with anything else except stopping the threat.

Back