Why 10mm in a revolver?

Hand loads are great, I’ve been loading my own since the 80’s.
I’m talking about some of the cheap stuff on somewhere like Ammoseek.
If I buy store bought, it’s going to be a well known name brand.

They sell ammo, and therefore are a valid source for prices. Their prices, sure, perhaps not the cheapest you can find, but their prices do reflect the general trend, if not the identical amounts.
If I can buy Federal 10mm for over $10 less a box, then I'm not buying it from Midway.

Some do that, others are looking for specific things in their ammo and if the very cheapest stuff doesn't have them, they don't buy the very cheapest stuff.

I have, in the past bought the cheapest ammo I could find in a specific caliber, not because it did what I wanted, but as a way to get brass for reloading. A (one) box, usually, to slake my thirst while waiting on finding brass. Not all consumers follow the same patterns, just as finding one kind of ammo cheaper at one place does not mean it is always cheaper everyplace.
What more do people want their ammo to do? When I buy ammo I want it to do a few things: be reliable, be accurate, and not be weak. I recently found in a 9mm Taurus revolver that Winchester white box shoots far more accurately than Blazer, so even if Blazer is half the price I'm not buying it, but it's not like Winchester is premium ammo either. Lower price ammo can do everything that some people are looking for and some people are only looking at what they can get for the lowest cost available.

Just because an ammo is cheaper at one place doesn't mean it's cheaper at the next doesn't stop someone from going to the place it is and buying it for less.

Lower price ammo can do everything that some people are looking for and some people are only looking at what they can get for the lowest cost available.

Absolutely. And other people are looking for specific things, a certain level of accuracy, or other performance, want a particular bullet type and weight, want, or need something that isn't a factory offering, (those folks often handload) budget matters some, but may not be the overriding factor, and then add all the different possible "wants" on top of basic needs and it gets complicated, and I pretty much leave that to the folks who make and market stuff to figure out what will sell best.

If I were into the 10mm (or .40) I would certainly consider adding a revolver in that caliber, or at the very least, a 10mm barrel for my Contender. I really like the idea of having something else that shoots the same ammo as your primary gun in that caliber (what ever it is). But I'm not going to go out and get a gun in any caliber I don't currently use just because there is some ammo for it cheaper than ammo for other calibers.

The Yankee Marshal just recently did a Utube on this. Long story short he said .357 Mag is the better option. I’ll try to post the video

Why 10MM in a revolver?
Because 41 Magnum revolvers and ammo have gotten so hard to find and expensive...

A friend is very big on 10mm, shooting a Glock 20 a lot.
He wished to shoot IDPA SSR so he bought a S&W 610 and some clips.
He was not getting Jerry Miculek's lightning reloads or even my hasty reload with clipped .45s. Why? The usual 10mm bullet is flat nosed and the smaller charge holes in the 610 left a lot of flat cylinder face between them. So he was subject to getting a flat on flat stoppage. He had to pay attention to alignment instead of just throwing a roundnose bullet at a big hole.

If I were after a 41 mag and couldn’t find one I would rather get a 44 mag than a 10mm. Especially if I could load my own.

A friend is very big on 10mm, shooting a Glock 20 a lot.
He wished to shoot IDPA SSR so he bought a S&W 610 and some clips.
He was not getting Jerry Miculek's lightning reloads or even my hasty reload with clipped .45s. Why? The usual 10mm bullet is flat nosed and the smaller charge holes in the 610 left a lot of flat cylinder face between them. So he was subject to getting a flat on flat stoppage. He had to pay attention to alignment instead of just throwing a roundnose bullet at a big hole.
Now there’s a good reason for 45ACP FMJ!

Why the 10mm in a revolver? Perhaps a better question would be, why the 10mm in a DA revolver????

Seriously. Ok, for certain games/shooting competitions, I can see a practical use, but if you're going to use it for hunting/plinking, there are other options, though not common.

I am a firm believer in (if possible) having a second firearm that uses your pistol cartridge. I've mostly gone that route, using Contender barrels. Or a carbine, or an SA revolver.

As a companion piece for what you already own, go for it. As a stand alone item, I wouldn't bother, but if its what you want, go for it.

I have wanted to buy a 610 multiple times.

But then I realize the 686 Plus is better in every way. The L frame has no concerns. No need for an N frame 357 unless you want the R8. So N frame 610 with 1 less chamber. The 357 experience is more of an experience than the 10mm-fun factor of loading and report.

If I liked 10mm auto, I might have an interest it in it...but still the 686 Plus at 7 round cylinder?

You are wanting a 10mm revolver to like them. Otherwise, yes. There really isn't a point.

The only benefit I can think where it shows up is 40 is the cheapest of 38/357/10mm. Heck, you can shoot 40 HST for cheaper than most 38/357/10mm. But...I think if you want a 357 or 10mm, you're probably not after the 38/40 shooting experience. You're probably a high level revolver aficionado to love the 10mm revolver.

I would wager that sales of the 10mm 610 and GP100 are low. I do bet people who have them like them a lot.

Back